• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best tuner to use and keep in my case?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Best tuner to use and keep in my case? Reply with quote

Is there a recommendation on the best tuner to use and keep in my case? I currently use a Korg TM-60, which isn't bad and also has a built in metronome (a handy feature), but the tuning sometimes doesn't seem to be extremely accurate compared to tuners other members of the trumpet section in my community band use (or conversely I could say those aren't as accurate compared to the one I use; I don't know which is the true statement).

As a comeback trumpet player (almost a year now), I want to ensure I'm using good equipment to help me continue to grow and expand my skills and abilities.

So..., what's the best tuner that you recommend, and why?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirm the calibration is at 440Hz, assuming that's what your director wants. Easy to bump to calibration button by accident. I'm not aware of any issues with the Korg tuners.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question, because it also gives rise to the question of whether you "need" a tuner at all.

Seriously - I never owned a tuner until I started playing in an amplified party band, and there were a couple of reasons I got it.

1. It was loud so it was hard to hear and I was blowing harder than I would be in an unamplified situation.

2. We used backing tracks that were all recorded with keyboards and sometimes bass that were recorded on an A440 standard.

3. Because I was playing hard, if I was trying to lip the pitch up or down too far, I'd wear myself out faster than if I was playing in the center of the pitch.

Otherwise? I don't use a tuner much, and other than using one here and there as a spot check, I rely on my ears more than anything else.

So which tuner would be ideal? Korg makes a good tuner. The one I used was the Korg CA-30. I seriously doubt if your tuner isn't a good tuner, or is inherently inaccurate.

Perhaps you're overthinking it? IMO, unless you're the one responsible for setting the pitch, you don't need one at all.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iPhone, SoundCorset is an app with both tuner and metronome. Bonus: the metronome can handle different meters (emphasizing the first beat), and supply a basic latin or swing beat.

... and you can use headphones with it, of course.

Downside is that it hears everybody else. In those situations, I use a clip-on tuner with piezo capabilities, picking up my horn vibrations. They're so cheap these days.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg was my go-to tuner since way back.

You may already know this but if you don't, or have forgotten - do not blow your tuning note while looking at the tuner. That may cause you to subconsciously push the note up or down from it's center. Then, when you play, you'll be back to your out-of-tune note again.

Rather, play the best sounding note you can with the tone centered then look at your tuner and see if you need to adjust.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
If you have an iPhone, SoundCorset is an app with both tuner and metronome. Bonus: the metronome can handle different meters (emphasizing the first beat), and supply a basic latin or swing beat.

Another thing I like about it is it has a little calendar showing your practice record and I get some satisfaction out of looking back at it.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
This is an interesting question, because it also gives rise to the question of whether you "need" a tuner at all.

Otherwise? I don't use a tuner much, and other than using one here and there as a spot check, I rely on my ears more than anything else.

So which tuner would be ideal? Korg makes a good tuner. The one I used was the Korg CA-30. I seriously doubt if your tuner isn't a good tuner, or is inherently inaccurate.

Perhaps you're overthinking it? IMO, unless you're the one responsible for setting the pitch, you don't need one at all.

Like you, I have always listened more than using a tuner, but coming back after all these decades off, I'm probably a bit more concerned about how bad I sound than I probably should be.

And overthinking it? Yup, very good probability of that!

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
You may already know this but if you don't, or have forgotten - do not blow your tuning note while looking at the tuner. That may cause you to subconsciously push the note up or down from it's center. Then, when you play, you'll be back to your out-of-tune note again.

Rather, play the best sounding note you can with the tone centered then look at your tuner and see if you need to adjust.

I did know that, but had actually forgotten it. Thanks for reminding me, because that's definitely what I've been doing.

1958 Conn Director 14A
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
Like you, I have always listened more than using a tuner, but coming back after all these decades off, I'm probably a bit more concerned about how bad I sound than I probably should be.

And overthinking it? Yup, very good probability of that!

That's ok - at least you're aware of it and are concerned with how you fit in the mix!

A tuner is good tool to have on hand, even if you don't use it a lot. I think I have 3 of them around the house - I have two of those Korg CA-30s, and another Korg model of some sort - dunno, it was issued to me as standard issue with the National Guard Band, and I'm not sure I ever used it.

The only reason I have two of the CA-30s is because when my son started playing guitar I got him one to use with his electric guitars - it has the 1/4" input jack, and he used it when he was changing strings, which was a lot more convenient than using the tuning pedal on his pedal board.

They are all floating around somewhere - I'm not sure I could put my hand on any one of them at the moment.

As a comeback player, checking your intonation from time to time might not be a bad thing until your chops get a bit more settled.

IMO though, the side of that device you own that's even more important is the metronome! LOL! It's mind boggling to me how many musicians out there on the amateur circuit have a horrid sense of time, tempo and groove/pocket.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
mograph wrote:
If you have an iPhone, SoundCorset is an app with both tuner and metronome. [...]

Another thing I like about it is it has a little calendar showing your practice record and I get some satisfaction out of looking back at it.

Really?
(checks)
Ha! Thanks!

(I should read the manuals more often ...)
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

The only reason I have two of the CA-30s is because when my son started playing guitar I got him one to use with his electric guitars - it has the 1/4" input jack, and he used it when he was changing strings, which was a lot more convenient than using the tuning pedal on his pedal board.

They are all floating around somewhere - I'm not sure I could put my hand on any one of them at the moment.

IMO though, the side of that device you own that's even more important is the metronome! LOL! It's mind boggling to me how many musicians out there on the amateur circuit have a horrid sense of time, tempo and groove/pocket.

Yup, I've got 2 or 3 of those myself, but they're in with my bass guitars!

Agreed on the metronome, but keeping the tempo and staying in the pocket has never been a problem for me, which is why I really enjoy playing bass. Especially when I find a good drummer who can actually keep tempo (which doesn't happen that often, surprisingly).

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
If you have an iPhone, SoundCorset is an app with both tuner and metronome.

As a strictly Android guy, do you know of a similar app on Android?

1958 Conn Director 14A
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tuner/metronome work in a practice session I have the Korg combo..

One that's in the bag is a clip-on, that picks up sound by vibration, which is better when there are others making noise - Snark Super Tight

Then TE Tuner on the phone, if I've forgotten the others or just a quick check and the phone or iPad is handy.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
For tuner/metronome work in a practice session I have the Korg combo..

One that's in the bag is a clip-on, that picks up sound by vibration, which is better when there are others making noise - Snark Super Tight

Then TE Tuner on the phone, if I've forgotten the others or just a quick check and the phone or iPad is handy.

I know the clip-on tuners work really well on guitars, but how about the ones for trumpets? You mentioned the Snark Super Tight, but I didn't see one just for brass instruments. Are you using a guitar one and is it pretty accurate?

1958 Conn Director 14A
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
mograph wrote:
If you have an iPhone, SoundCorset is an app with both tuner and metronome.

As a strictly Android guy, do you know of a similar app on Android?

This seems to be one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soundcorset.client.android&hl=en_CA&gl=US
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Korg was my go-to tuner since way back.

Same here.

rhatheway wrote:
I know the clip-on tuners work really well on guitars, but how about the ones for trumpets?

This is what I use nowadays, and what I keep in my trumpet case. I currently have a Snark SN-8, which is marketed as a guitar turner, but which works well on my trumpet.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:

I know the clip-on tuners work really well on guitars, but how about the ones for trumpets? You mentioned the Snark Super Tight, but I didn't see one just for brass instruments. Are you using a guitar one and is it pretty accurate?

yes, a model for "all-instruments". works fine, clip on to the bell. Can be set to tune by vibration or sound. I like it, on the vibration setting, at rehearsals or gigs because it doesn't pick up those around you. Just take it off during the rehearsal or gig.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
rhatheway wrote:

yes, a model for "all-instruments". works fine, clip on to the bell. Can be set to tune by vibration or sound. I like it, on the vibration setting, at rehearsals or gigs because it doesn't pick up those around you. Just take it off during the rehearsal or gig.

I seem to recall someone posting a video clip of Wayne Bergeron in the studio with a Snark clip-on tuner on his bell.

Here's the thread reference, but the video is no longer available.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126741
- ACB Doubler

mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
I know the clip-on tuners work really well on guitars, but how about the ones for trumpets?

The Korg AW-2 and the 440 Technologies AT-100 both work for me. The latter has a more colourful display and is newer. It's made for strings, but hey: vibe is vibe.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/54254/Guitars/Tuners/Yorkville-Sound/Chromatic-Clip-On-Tuner.htm
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:

This seems to be one?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soundcorset.client.android&hl=en_CA&gl=US

Thanks, I'll check it out.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: