• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's the best technique for placing fingers on valves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: What's the best technique for placing fingers on valves? Reply with quote

Here's a question that I haven't seen asked here on TH (apologies if it has been).

Ever since I began playing a trumpet a long time ago, I've always placed my fingers across the valve buttons so that I'm pressing down on them with the pads of each finger. For me, this is comfortable and this gives me the flexibility I need to play my horn easily. But many people play with their fingers somewhat arched, so that the tips of their fingers are placed on the valve buttons. To me that seems uncomfortable, so I'm curious, is there a proper technique for how you place your fingers?

I'm not going to change at this point in my life (unless there's really a good reason to do so), but I'm curious if one way really works better or more efficiently than the other, or if it is just a matter of personal choice and comfort.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people believe that pressing the valves with the fingertips causes less wear on the valve pistons, because pressing the valves with the fingers flat across the buttons tends to pull the pistons sideways against the cylinder walls.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it feels more natural to keep the curve of the fingers. If I relax my hands right now (no horn), they curve. So it takes a slight effort to hold the fingers straight. I see that effort as extraneous when playing, so I keep my fingers curved when playing.

(I used to do a lot of Tai Chi, spending a lot of time figuring out what is neutral and relaxed for me, and I remember the useful directive "do nothing extraneous.")

Of course, so much about the trumpet is personal and subjective, so ... whatever helps us play well and comfortably for as long as possible.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's the best technique for placing fingers on valves? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
For me, this is comfortable and this gives me the flexibility I need to play my horn easily.

That's all that matters. The technique matters less than the consistency by which you do it. If, when you encounter a technical passage, you instinctively change your hand-posture to achieve it, then maybe you should look at doing the "better" one all the time.

If you can wiggle your fingers, you have enough technique for 99% of the repertoire. It's just about encoding those wiggles in the notes on the page/music you desire to produce.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good relaxed arch to the right hand - that natural arch that happens when you let your hand hang freely at your side. Thumb kept in that positing (maintaining that natural backwards "C" shape) under the leadpipe touching the casing between the first and second valve.

Then slow steady practice with quick snappy movers.

Allen Vizzutti had a nice class on this, where you loosen the tops caps slightly so that they click, then as you practice -scales, arpeggios, and other studies you hear a rhythmically steady clicking, up & down strokes.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is comfortable and works. I personally prefer the "holding an apple" curved fingers style but watch enough videos of Doc and Al Hirt and you'll see them switch from flat fingers to curved.

Clark Terry played with the back of his fingers with the horn upside down better than most can play conventionally - I seem to recall James Morrison does the same trick.

Chicago principal Esteban Battalan's fingers look like a mess to me - ring finger flopped over the 3rd valve maybe bumping against the bell tubing, middle finger pushing on the side of the valve button but obviously he gets the job done.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu May 02, 2024 7:50 am; edited 3 times in total
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Allen Vizzutti had a nice class on this, where you loosen the tops caps slightly so that they click, then as you practice -scales, arpeggios, and other studies you hear a rhythmically steady clicking, up & down strokes.
Absolutely. I like to think of the trumpet as a percussion instrument at those times.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's the best technique for placing fingers on valves? Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
If, when you encounter a technical passage, you instinctively change your hand-posture to achieve it, then maybe you should look at doing the "better" one all the time.

Hmmm...., I've actually never paid attention to whether I change my finger position depending on the complexity of what I'm playing. I'll have to watch myself and see if I perhaps do that. If so, then you may be right.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't claim to be the "best technique" but for me, it's fingers curved and horn tilted slightly to the right, so the wrist is straighter. Know that people have success with all sorts of unorthodox methods. You just have to find what works for you.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural and relaxed. Whatever that means for you.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always seemed to me that people with long, thin fingers prefer the curved-fingers approach. But those of us with shorter fingers (like me) are more comfortable with flat-fingering.

And to address the cylinder-wear question, I tilt the horn very slightly to my right, to be sure that my flat-fingered technique presses straight down on the pistons, with no side-thrust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: