• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Flugel mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: GR Flugel mouthpiece Reply with quote

Anyone tried the GR flugel mouthpieces, either FL or FL***? I use GR on my trumpet and it could be nice to have a similar rim on the flugel. My flugel is a Yamaha 2310 which i think is a bit on the bright/not-as-fluffy side. I wonder if the GR flugel pieces are "big enough" (whatever that means) so that i can get a sound that is not too trumpety (FL*** has a 10% bigger cup i think?).

Favorite flugel sound: Clark terry's

Thanks!
Jimprov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: GR Flugel mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have been using a GR Bergeron FL*** for about a year (gold), and I picked up a GR Bergeron FL (silver) a few months ago. Both are essentially new, and I have played both exclusively on a Yamaha FYH8310Z Flugelhorn. I am not much of a gearhead, and have only played on flugelhorn for a couple of years, but I have thought from the beginning that my 8310Z was, as you described it, "on the bright/not-as-fluffy side". Hence my trying out the above WB GR's.

I selected these MP's because I had been playing WB GR's exclusively on my trumpet for a few years, and I liked the idea of having the same rim on my then-new Flugel, as on my trumpet/s.

At any rate, you might really like Wayne's Flugel MP's; I sure like them. You can read some about them on his website. To me the FL*** is quite different-sounding from the FL, although I am not sure how much of the difference that I hear has to do with the gold on my FL*** vs. the silver on my FL (again, I am not a gearhead). The differences are more discernable when I record them on my phone than when I am just playing, although I feel and hear a significant difference by simply playing the two side-by-side (just not nearly as much as on the recordings). Yes, the FL*** has that fluffy sound--Wayne describes it well on his web site; I have to say that I did not hear the fluffiness of the FL*** on my Yamaha FH until I listened to the recording of myself (the fluff is there...and it is VERY nice).

I picked up a Monette Unity FLG6-7 (Flugel mouthpiece) a few weeks ago and will be focusing on that for the next several weeks, using my silver GR WB FL as a contrast and "base line" of sorts. I don't intend to play my gold GR WB FL*** at all for the next few weeks.

Therefore MM, if you would like to discuss the possibility of my sending you the gold GR WB FL*** to try out for a week or so, then PM me and we can discuss that accordingly.

If you are considering "biting the bullet" and purchasing a GR WB FL/FL***, then I just saw that Wayne has both FL and FL*** for sale at this time. In case you have not noticed, he often is out of MP stock, so if you intend to buy one, then I'd say forget trying mine out and "get one while the getting is good". In that case I cannot imagine that you would be disappointed--great mouthpieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: