• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Performance vs. Tumultus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Thane Performance vs. Tumultus Reply with quote

I finally got around to making this video.
Two excellent horns!
Which one would you pick?

Link

Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ears the Thane has more presence and a more expected timbre for mariachi music. The Tumultus sounds like it would be more at home in a jazz combo group; at times in your video it almost sounded long cornet-ish. It would be the Thane for me. They both sound great, though!
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
To my ears the Thane has more presence and a more expected timbre for mariachi music. The Tumultus sounds like it would be more at home in a jazz combo group; at times in your video it almost sounded long cornet-ish. It would be the Thane for me. They both sound great, though!

I agree. The Tumultus sounds great if you’re looking for a mellow sound. I was curious if the medium, yellow brass bell on the Tumultus would have some versatility to the sound…but the horn really stays warm and dark no matter how I played it.

The blow resistance was also much more free blowing on the Tumultus, likely due to the reversed tuning slide. I know some people like that, but I found it to be too open for my preference.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
Subtropical and Subpar wrote:

I agree. The Tumultus sounds great if you’re looking for a mellow sound. I was curious if the medium, yellow brass bell on the Tumultus would have some versatility to the sound…but the horn really stays warm and dark no matter how I played it.

The blow resistance was also much more free blowing on the Tumultus, likely due to the reversed tuning slide. I know some people like that, but I found it to be too open for my preference.

It is a remarkably warm and dark sound for a yellow brass bell, indeed. And isn't your Thane a gold or rose brass bell, at that? And a 72 bell profile?
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thane all the way! The other horn sounds stuffy and unfocused. Or better put to my ears one sounds like a trumpet and one doesn't. Maybe folks like that tumultous but I really like how you play on the first one.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Thane is a large, gold brass bell. I absolutely love this configuration!
The only change I'd maybe want to mess around with in the future is trying a heavier bell or even have a 2 piece bell with a bronze flare.

That's a huge benefit with Thane trumpets. If you don't like what you have, or if you want to try something different, Logan can do a bell swap and completely change the character of your horn.

On a side note, I received a Lotus Universal today and I like it much more than the Classic and Solo models. The Universal has a thicker bell and bronze flare, which is said to give the horn a beefier tone and more stability. So far I've found this to be true. It's also interesting to me that the overall brilliance of the Universal is not lost with these changes. The horn feels and sounds like a better version of the Classic, and it's much more versatile than the Solo. This could be my favorite Lotus model so far...although it's still plagued with the crappy moisture leakage on the tuning slides and Amado keys.

Regarding the Tumultus, I'm a bit disappointed. It's too dark, too heavy (2lb 10oz), and honestly it wasn't comfortable to hold. The 1st and 3rd slide rings are slightly too small for my hands. Sadly, I'm crossing the Tumultus off the list of horns I'd like to own.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
The only change I'd maybe want to mess around with in the future is trying a heavier bell or even have a 2 piece bell with a bronze flare.

That's a huge benefit with Thane trumpets. If you don't like what you have, or if you want to try something different, Logan can do a bell swap and completely change the character of your horn.

On a side note, I received a Lotus Universal today and I like it much more than the Classic and Solo models. The Universal has a thicker bell and bronze flare, which is said to give the horn a beefier tone and more stability. So far I've found this to be true. It's also interesting to me that the overall brilliance of the Universal is not lost with these changes. The horn feels and sounds like a better version of the Classic, and it's much more versatile than the Solo. This could be my favorite Lotus model so far...although it's still plagued with the crappy moisture leakage on the tuning slides and Amado keys.

Regarding the Tumultus, I'm a bit disappointed. It's too dark, too heavy (2lb 10oz), and honestly it wasn't comfortable to hold. The 1st and 3rd slide rings are slightly too small for my hands. Sadly, I'm crossing the Tumultus off the list of horns I'd like to own.

As a longtime Bach 72 owner (since high school!), I'd love to try out a large taper Thane someday.

I don't think it sounds overly mariachi-ish, at least with my mouthpieces, but try finding a lightly used Kanstul 991, which they long marketed as their Mariachi model, someday. It's versatile, extremely efficient, very flexible, really easy upper register, and I can comfortably play on it quite a bit longer than any of my other trumpets. It's my go-to horn for any gig over three hours. It is based on the Connstellation 38B - .439" bore, wide wrap, point-to-point bracing, 5 1/4" or so bell, first slide trigger, etc. - but since it isn't nickel-plated over copper over brass like the Conn, and since Kanstul didn't use those heavy, heavy Crysteel valves that Conn did, it weighs several ounces less than any 38B I've picked up and is probably spiritually closer to the Conn 8B Artist model that Freddie Hubbard played. I am completely enamored with it.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

I have a bronze flare and red brass stem on my large bell Thane, it’s an awesome bell.

Ryan
Thane #165, 72 style bronze bell
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach 180-37 Blackburn 20 pipe
Couesnon Monopole Flugelhorn
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette/Reeves mouthpieces
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTPT78 wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

I have a bronze flare and red brass stem on my large bell Thane, it’s an awesome bell.

Ryan

Very nice!! How warm of a tone would you say that horn has?
I have a friend who ordered that same configuration, and I know that he favors dark sounding trumpets.
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
NYCTPT78 wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Ryan

Very nice!! How warm of a tone would you say that horn has?
I have a friend who ordered that same configuration, and I know that he favors dark sounding trumpets.

It’s a bit of a chameleon, with a deep cup it’s got a nice dark sound. I’ve been playing mainly lead on it, and it brightens up and cuts great with the right mouthpiece. It still stays nice and fat though, even with a very shallow cup. Logan described the bell as medium weight, not sure if that’s what your friend ordered. In my super scientific squeeze the bell throat test it feels similar to the lightweight bell on my Bach Chicago C. I haven’t found anything it can’t do yet, I’m very happy with it.
Thane #165, 72 style bronze bell
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach 180-37 Blackburn 20 pipe
Couesnon Monopole Flugelhorn
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette/Reeves mouthpieces
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good to hear! I’m glad it’s working well for you.

I’d love to see pictures of it sometime. Email or text is fine.

Ericmpena@gmail.com
210-363-3265
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: