• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader? Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
It would be nice at this point if the OP let us know what the family decision is.

I ended up purchasing a like new Jupiter/XO Brass 1602S, a model recommended by user Goby above. I was initially looking at used and new Xenos, and came across a great selection of demo/like new XO Brass instruments at the Mighty Quinn Winds and Brass (user quinntheeskimo). With a discount code for TH members, the purchase price was around what I would have paid for a new YTR-2330. So while cost was not an important factor for me, the value was too hard to ignore, especially given the great input here. We are very happy, so thanks again to all for a great discussion!
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCFTY7fwvkU&t=3s
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader? Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
I ended up purchasing a like new Jupiter/XO Brass 1602S, a model recommended by user Goby above. I was initially looking at used and new Xenos, and came across a great selection of demo/like new XO Brass instruments at the Mighty Quinn Winds and Brass (user quinntheeskimo). With a discount code for TH members, the purchase price was around what I would have paid for a new YTR-2330. So while cost was not an important factor for me, the value was too hard to ignore, especially given the great input here. We are very happy, so thanks again to all for a great discussion!
Congratulations! I hope your son is overjoyed.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, let us know how you and your son like the horn (been looking at the XO picc lately …).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. No matter how careful your child is, some other kid at the school will bang into it eventually. It will hit the floor and never be the same. Just get a better "student" trumpet, like a Yamaha or Jupiter. Even if he continues playing he could use them for march band practice. Or get a nice used trumpet. I found a used Blessing ML1, a couple of lower level Kanstuls. I tested a used Getzen 700 Eterna and a Holten 602r at a Sam Ash. Any of them would have been more than suitable. I also found a vintage Conn 22b for $100. It was in really nice condition other than the lacquer was really ugly. I took the lacquer off. A vintage Conn 22b is very easy for a young person to play and good enough to last a lifetime. A ton of them were made. Just have to be careful to get the old professional version. Conn made a student trumpet that was called a 22b later on. If you don't feel confident enough to find a used trumpet on your own, check out the Austin Custom Brass website for used trumpets. I see you bought from Quin, That's another very good seller. I bought Viola for my grandaughter from the. Congrats.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: