• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How important is heart and soul when playing music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: How important is heart and soul when playing music? Reply with quote

I was talking to one of the guys here on TH and the topic of putting your heart and soul into your music came up.

To me making music is not just about being able to read and play notes. It's a lot more than that. There are a lot of good technical players out there who don't (IMHO) make music. They can play, but they can't make music. And there are lots of average players who may not be the best technically, but can make their instruments sing because they're really passionate about what they're playing, so they're making real music. And then there are those few who are amazing technical players and who also really do put everything they have into it and are really making music.

To me, that seems to be the dividing line between musicians and non-musicians. Do you play with feeling? Do you put your heart and soul into it? Or are you just reading notes and regurgitating sounds?

I'm an average musician at best and will never be a professional, but I like to think that when I play, regardless of which instrument is in my hands, I'm making music because I do feel it and I do put my heart and soul into it. Music is transformative and audiences can tell if you're really playing or if you're just phoning it in.

So..., curious minds want to know. What's your take on this?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you asking? Bad technique can get in the way of effective musicianship but Musicianship trumps all.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Why are you asking? Bad technique can get in the way of effective musicianship but Musicianship trumps all.

Just curious to see how many of us here feel the same way about music as I do, and if most of us are musicians or just technicians...

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A

Last edited by rhatheway on Wed May 01, 2024 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the general theme of your statements. I have heard much better players express the same sentiment, that there is a difference from playing the right notes and making music while playing those same notes.

As for me, I am a rank amateur, but try my best to make music and express emotions in my playing, which is mostly Christian contemporary and classical hymns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: