• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 19072x

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Bach 19072x Reply with quote

Still not a lot of discussion of the new gen Bachs. Has anyone tried this new 72*? I am a fan of this set up and am wondering how it may compare to the new 8335LA

Thread killer.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn-Selmer was rumored to have a batch of Bach 19072X trumpets ready to go in September, but then that got delayed. A few different distributors have told me that a batch should be ready to ship sometime in December (EDIT 3/11/24: Bach did not make the December goal, and now estimates delivery sometime in May 2024. For whatever reason though, Conn-Selmer doesn’t look to be producing very many of this specific model.

The Yamaha 8335LAIIS is a really well-built horn. I played one a few weeks ago and it felt unrestricted and balanced across the whole range. Per caliper measurements, Yamaha retained the large bore tuning slide size from the first-gen 8335LA (0.462” ID on both legs) while using a two-piece ML valve block. Those valves felt fast and buttery smooth, better than the 10+ Bach 180 series and various Schilke trumpets I played that day.

When I played the LAIIS alongside two 180 series silver Bach 72*/25-O trumpets, the 72* bells sounded to me and another trumpet player as if those would work better for lead work. The sales rep also told me they felt the OG 8335LA had more edge and sizzle than the V2 which is more geared to all-around players, but I don't have any personal experience here.

As of this post there's a single silver 190S72X in stock and for sale (link), which I think was a NAMM demo model. Otherwise, it looks like nobody has one in stock & for sale today. I’ve been waiting for a few months to playtest a Bach 19072X in lacquer... and I think I will just keep waiting a little bit longer

Last edited by Chadwick on Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Conn-Selmer was rumored to have a batch of Bach 19072X trumpets ready to go in September, but then that got delayed. A few different distributors have told me that a batch should be ready to ship sometime in December. For whatever reason though, Conn-Selmer doesn’t look to be producing very many of this specific model.

The Yamaha 8335LAIIS is a really well-built horn. I played one a few weeks ago and it felt unrestricted and balanced across the whole range. Per caliper measurements, Yamaha retained the large bore tuning slide size from the first-gen 8335LA (0.462” ID on both legs) while using a two-piece ML valve block. Those valves felt fast and buttery smooth, better than the 10+ Bach and Schilke trumpets I played that day.

When I played the LAIIS alongside two 180 series silver Bach 72*/25-O trumpets, the 72* bells sounded to me and another trumpet player as if those would work better for lead work. The sales rep also told me they felt the OG 8335LA

OG as in outgoing?

had more edge and sizzle than the V2

V2 as in version 2?

which is more geared to all-around players, but I don't have any personal experience here.

As of this post there's a single silver 190S72X in stock and for sale (link), which I think was a NAMM demo model. Otherwise, it looks like nobody has one in stock & for sale today. I’ve been waiting for a few months to playtest a Bach 19072X in lacquer... and I think I will just keep waiting a little bit longer

Thanks very much.

All very interesting.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

OG as in outgoing? By OG I meant original -- the first 8335LA released in 2006.

V2 as in version 2? Yes - YTR-8335LAII

My understanding is the three big differences with the YTR-8335LAII compared to the original are: the two-piece valve section, the leadpipe design (more efficient + goldbrass), and new heavy bottom caps.

It's worth pointing out that Yamaha will sell you a side-seam bell and a two-piece valve section with the YTR-8335LAII for ~$1350-1500 USD less than Conn-Selmer will with the new Bach 190 series. That's a HUGE price disparity, and the retail price of a Bach 19072X ($4,499) is not far off from the sticker price of some well-done Mt. Vernon-era Bach restorations.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a sucker for how the 72*/43 blows; but I always wish the sound was a tad more centered. I have a very rare and unique mid 60s early Elkhart Bach 72* bell, 43 pipe, but with a standard weight body. It's very similar to a later Mt. Vernon, except the bell bead is a round steel wire instead of a French bead. Its a fantastic horn that speaks instantly. I think it has more core than a typical 72*, and carries even better. Hopefully we'll see and hear more about this new 72x model, as I might be tempted to splurge if it's better than my horn.

Thread killer.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Thanks very much for the clarification.

My understanding is the three big differences with the YTR-8335LAII compared to the original are: the two-piece valve section, the leadpipe design (more efficient + goldbrass), and new heavy bottom caps.

Very interesting, thanks.

It's worth pointing out that Yamaha will sell you a side-seam bell and a two-piece valve section with the YTR-8335LAII for ~$1350-1500 USD less than Conn-Selmer will with the new Bach 190 series. That's a HUGE price disparity,

That is.

and the retail price of a Bach 19072X ($4,499) is not far off from the sticker price of some well-done Mt. Vernon-era Bach restorations.

I suppose that they sadly charge what people are prepared to pay. I wonder how the YTR-8335LAII and Bach 19072X compare. I personally really like Yamaha trumpets, and choose to play my Xeno II over my Bach 37, but obviously these are different trumpets to what we are discussing.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cryj-_6AJQs/?hl=en

I heard that Summer ended up choosing the Apollo over the 72X.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

It's worth pointing out that Yamaha will sell you a side-seam bell and a two-piece valve section with the YTR-8335LAII for ~$1350-1500 USD less than Conn-Selmer will with the new Bach 190 series. That's a HUGE price disparity, and the retail price of a Bach 19072X ($4,499) is not far off from the sticker price of some well-done Mt. Vernon-era Bach restorations.

Yeah, that's a ton of money for a Bach, nice as they might be (and I do love my regular weight 72 bell that I've had nearly 30 years now). I think $4,500 is $400 or $500 more than the flagship Shires or Schilkes sell for, too. Or for the very well regarded Thane Performance trumpet with its 72-inspired bell. I mean, I think I've seen used AR Resonances and Harrelsons and such for not much more than $4,500.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
It's worth pointing out that Yamaha will sell you a side-seam bell and a two-piece valve section with the YTR-8335LAII ~$1350-1500 USD less[/url] than Conn-Selmer will with the new Bach 190 series. That's a HUGE price disparity, and the retail price of a Bach 19072X ($4,499) is not far off from the sticker price of some well-done Mt. Vernon-era Bach restorations.

Yeah, that's a ton of money for a Bach, nice as they might be (and I do love my regular weight 72 bell that I've had nearly 30 years now).

8335, by definition, is not the highest level of trumpet that Yamaha offers; that level is the 9000 series trumpet. So you'd have to look at the 180 series bach's to compare (which I'm seeing for $3700 for a 180 72).

Comparing brands and prices is fair, since it is "the market," but I also see on "the market" that Yamaha is selling their premium line for roughly $5,300, which is $800 more than Bach's premium line. Personally, having played the new bach's they, on average, beat out Mt. Vernon era trumpets and do so without the headache of restoration.

What's gone into these horns is more than just "a side-seam bell and a two-piece valve section," it's been designed from the ground up, a nice departure from Bach's yesteryears.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Comparing brands and prices is fair, since it is "the market," but I also see on "the market" that Yamaha is selling their premium line for roughly $5,300, which is $800 more than Bach's premium line. Personally, having played the new bach's they, on average, beat out Mt. Vernon era trumpets and do so without the headache of restoration.

That's totally fair about the price if these new 190s are same or better caliber than the YTR-9335NYS/VSII/CHS. I really hope so!

The handful of Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets I've played were all professionally restored. When I wrote that comment in November I was considering picking up one of those restored Mt. Vernon trumpets (which would have been price competitive with the new 190 series). I decided to hold off until I get a chance to playtest the 190 series!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
That's totally fair about the price if these new 190s are same or better caliber than the YTR-9335NYS/VSII/CHS. I really hope so!

The handful of Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets I've played were all professionally restored. When I wrote that comment in November I was considering picking up one of those restored Mt. Vernon trumpets (which would have been price competitive with the new 190 series). I decided to hold off until I get a chance to playtest the 190 series!

It's been pretty wild to test the news ones (considering I had been incredibly critical and harsh on Bach over the last decade). I would say most of the ones I played were same or better than Yamaha 9000 series in terms of playability (e.g., feel/eveness/etc.) and the sound, well, it's all preference but if you lean towards the Mt. Vernon/Bach "sound" then it's the best of both worlds.

Hope you get to try one soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: