• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a horn similar to a Yamaha Miyashiro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaelos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Looking for a horn similar to a Yamaha Miyashiro Reply with quote

Looking to find a similar horn to my Yamaha Miyashiro, but with a bit more resistance in the leadpipe. I love the ultra-lightweight construction and the extra large bell but the reverse leadpipe isn't quite doing it for me. I was thinking something like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing would maybe do the trick, but I wanted some more opinions.[/code]
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever think of using a little tighter backbore or smaller orifice on your mouthpiece?
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Kaelos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Ever think of using a little tighter backbore or smaller orifice on your mouthpiece?

I've tried quite a few but haven't found much success unfortunately
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a repair tech flip the top leg of the tuning slide and put the brace forward if you think it's specifically the reverse slide that you don't like.
Kaelos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Have a repair tech flip the top leg of the tuning slide and put the brace forward if you think it's specifically the reverse slide that you don't like.

I've considered that, or possibly swapping it for a Bergeron leadpipe, but I'm worried about that making the horn worth a lot less, especially if I don't end up liking the leadpipe swap for whatever reason
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will sound crazy, but hear me out. This trick has been used by many - including Vincent Bach and Larry Ramirez.

To add resistance, add turbulence in a position that will allow stabilization ahead of the tuning slide break and bend. To do this, insert a small tube stub into the leadpipe about 3" back from the end (so still within the cylindrical portion). Before actually installing brass, you can mock this up with a thin o-ring. The effect will be a little more pronounced, as an o-ring will still be more disruptive than the thin wall of a brass sleeve, but you can see if you like it. This can always be reversed for resale by the same skilled tech that you will want to do it in the first place.

You will want to carefully check intonation. Every horn is a little different and tinkering anywhere in this zone can throw that off.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Kaelos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll give this a try!
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused by your statements. 1) you want more resistance, 2) then you write "thinking something like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing would maybe do the trick".
That strikes me as contradictory. I have a Wild Thing, which is quite free blowing, even with the smaller tuning slide installed. I also have a Schilke B6, which I would think\assume plays something like your Yammie (lighter and brighter than your average trumpet).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played a Yamaha Bobby Shew?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Kaelos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I have, it felt a little too stuffy for me. That was quite a while ago though so I might give it another shot.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaelos wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I have, it felt a little too stuffy for me. That was quite a while ago though so I might give it another shot.

I understand that the Gen II horn plays a little more open than the original. I'll add that many players must take a little time before they're comfortable with a step bore.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a new horn, Kehaulani's suggestion of the 8310Z is the closest you will get to an answer for a more resistant version of the Miyashiro. They have a ton of features in common.

I'd suggest experimenting more with mouthpiece. For the price of a new horn, you can get a ton of mouthpieces to tinker with. I recently got a used Miyashiro after years of playing the Shew. Fortunately I'm playing AR Resonance mouthpiece tops and backbores and have 3 different backbores: small, medium, and large. I was using a medium backbore on the Shew and switching to the Small backbore on the Miyashiro felt more dialed in for me. I kept the same top so it didn't change the feel on my face.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I’d try Ewan Divitts suggestion, just for the heck of it.

On the other hand, it seems we’re only discussing new horns here. How about vintage? My 6B could be along the lines of what you are looking for - it’s an open horn but on going higher some resistance seems to kick in which helps me with the upper register. So, what if you combine that with a little tighter mouthpiece?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the new EM, the 8330EM?

Supposed to be a little more to blow against vs the original model.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:

I’m curious about this. Are there any pictures of this? I didn’t realize there was any taper to the tuning slide, otherwise, what does flipping the top leg accomplish? Not disputing, just want to learn about it. Thanks!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a horn similar to a Yamaha Miyashiro Reply with quote

Kaelos wrote:
Looking to find a similar horn to my Yamaha Miyashiro, but with a bit more resistance in the leadpipe. I love the ultra-lightweight construction and the extra large bell but the reverse leadpipe isn't quite doing it for me. I was thinking something like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing would maybe do the trick, but I wanted some more opinions.[/code]

There's a saying, "don't spend good money after bad", that is worth considering. Your horn is only original once, and once you take a torch to it, it takes a lot of time and money to make it look like it did when it left the Yamaha factory. The Yamaha Miyashiro is a rare and sought-after model, and is much more valuable in original condition than modified. There is no guarantee that any modification will improve the horn, and it is much more likely that it will make the horn worse and greatly reduce its value on the secondary market. Yamaha is incredibly thorough with their prototyping, testing variables down to the weight of the waterkey on artist models. I would be surprised if you could assemble a better instrument than what Eric Miyashiro and Yamaha's professional engineering team settled on when they released that horn.

Your original post doesn't provide any measure of what you would like to achieve by modifying your horn, only that you would like to feel different while playing. I don't see any mention of wanting better range, endurance, a different tone, cleaner articulations, or changes in intonation. Your feelings about your trumpet do not exist to the audience, all they hear is what comes out of the bell. If you are having a playing issue, addressing your equipment is a valuable step in improving your performance, but if all you want to change is your perception, then you will never be satisfied.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Schilke B7? Medium bore with a large bell and Schilke quality. Comparing a Yamaha Miyashiro and a Wild Thing is like comparing a Ferrari and a freight train.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: