• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lucky "Kid"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Lucky "Kid" Reply with quote

College studio is all online so far this year and teaching without actually meeting freshmen students in-person can have some drawbacks. I was working with a new student for the 5th lesson this week when I asked him what horn he was playing- figured it was a student line but couldn't make it out on the screen. No first valve trigger or ring/saddle, lacquer, normal stuff.

He told me his HS teacher (a non-trumpet player, obviously as you'll see) was letting him us this trumpet his Jr and Sr year because he was still playing on a student model. When he graduated the teacher took his in on "trade" and let him have this one for $200 extra. I asked him what it was and he said a Back Stradivarius. I asked him to read me what was on the bell and of course, it's a Mt. Vernon. Kid (and his old teacher) had no idea. Appears to have no wear showing, can't wait to meet him on campus someday if they ever allow students and staff back. Told him to take very good care of it. I need to find another clarinet playing band teacher who wants to trade me a trumpet...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! Lucky kid indeed! Tell him to do right by that horn Is he in music ed or performance?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Lucky "Kid" Reply with quote

I love stories like that. I hope he appreciates the history he is playing. It's a great deal, though. Wonderful motivator to want to play better, and more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: