• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marvin Stamm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Stamm will be playing with my orchestra again in a couple of weeks. We will be doing his charts, but there are some nice licks throughout for the trumpet section. We are doing the Ellington Fantasy again. I hate doing things again.

Has anyone played with Stamm in an orchestral setting? He is a showman, and can hold a crowd. And he plays well. Has anyone played that Ellington Fantasy?

You guys know I'm not a jazz player, but write the stuff out and I can swing enough not to break something. I don't know much about Stamm. On the "Favorite trumpet players" thread, he ain't mentioned. What are your impressions?

BTW, anyone play the 1988 "Olympic" fanfare by John Williams? I played it on C tonight and enjoyed it better then the Bb.

See ya,

JC.

[ This Message was edited by: NCTrumpet on 2002-03-07 12:36 ]
topsop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I produced a recording date a few months back on which Marvin played. He is a magnificent player whom I first met in 1976 at my first recording session, Maynard's "Rocky".
The tpt line that day was Faddis, Brecker, Soloff, Marvin and Maynard.
I was just a" fly on the wall" guest of the real producer, Joe Jorgenson, but that date set my career in motion.
Make no mistake, Marvin Stamm is a certified monster. Was then, is now.
James

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Stamm is (in my opinion) a top 20 player in the world...right now. I mean he can play with any of the best anytime any where anything. Many people who hear him live often hear him playing jazz. He is no doubt one of the finest jazz players alive. As a trumpet player he ranks near the top. We have all heard him in probably hundreds of different context...movie scores, commercial jingles, pop albums. Players like Marvin Stamm are my favorite because they define world class in all aspects of musical ability and personality.
James

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, TOPSOP, I would love to discuss producing with you. It is an avenue which I myself am now trying to get into. semajbare@aolcom
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-05 22:59, NCTrumpet wrote:
Marvin Stamm will be playing with my orchestra again in a couple of weeks. We will be doing his charts, but there are some nice licks throughout for the trumpet section. We are doing the Ellington Medley AGAIN. I hate doing things AGAIN.

I don't know much about Stamm. On the "Favorite trumpet players" thread, he ain't mentioned. What are your impressions?
JC.

JC,
There are many of us here who would be more than happy to play anything AGAIN with Marvin. This guy is a class act of the highest order, and one of the very best of the best trumpet players in the world, PERIOD.
Larry Smithee
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your comment Larry. However, the musicians in my orchestra are at times frustrated at the amount of music we repeat. I mean, how many times do you want to play "Phantom of the Opera"? Many are disappointed when we show up to a first rehearsal and find old charts in the book. There is no disrespect intended toward Mr. Stamm, or the opportunity to play with him. He is quite cordial and will give you all the time in the world. And it's a great break from playing another light-trumpets doing nothing-classic.

JC.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC,
Your point is understood.
Larry Smithee
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....don't forget Marvin's recent interview at my site....

Roddy o-iii<O

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Stamn did a masterclass at TCU here today. I didn't get there, but I bet it was awesome.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the Stamm masterclass at TCU. I found his information very informative and he obviously had a love for trumpet and making music. I enjoyed hearing him play although his sound didn't do much for me. He had great improv ideas and really showed his expertise. More so than his playing though, I enjoyed his talk and excitement about playing music. Marvis Stamm is a great guy.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Stamm is coming to my school (Denison University) in three weeks to play with our jazz band, wind ensemble, and give a master class. I am playing on the master class, and since I’m not much of a jazz player, I’ll be playing the first movement of the Hummel (which I plan to do on my senior recital next semester). So how much do you play and how much does he play in a master class? What kind of things does he work with you on? Also, our wind ensemble is doing a few pieces with him, including Horowitz’s Concertino (with my private teacher on the second solo part), Trumpeter’s Lullaby, and Bugler’s Holiday (again with my teacher and with a prof from Ohio State who is guest conducting a piece on the concert). From what you all have said, I expect that the crowd won’t be disappointed! And unlike JC, we’re NOT playing pieces we’ve played before. Sounds like Denison hired a real class act this semester!
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 15:31, NelleTrumpet wrote:
Marvin Stamm is coming to my school (Denison University) in three weeks to play with our jazz band, wind ensemble, and give a master class. I am playing on the master class, and since I’m not much of a jazz player, I’ll be playing the first movement of the Hummel (which I plan to do on my senior recital next semester). So how much do you play and how much does he play in a master class? What kind of things does he work with you on? Also, our wind ensemble is doing a few pieces with him, including Horowitz’s Concertino (with my private teacher on the second solo part), Trumpeter’s Lullaby, and Bugler’s Holiday (again with my teacher and with a prof from Ohio State who is guest conducting a piece on the concert). From what you all have said, I expect that the crowd won’t be disappointed! And unlike JC, we’re NOT playing pieces we’ve played before. Sounds like Denison hired a real class act this semester!

Sounds like you are in for an event that truly you will long remember. Even though Marvin is one of the busiest souls...you'll ever find in music...He stay very well connecte via' his lap top...and is extremely thoughtful...AND FAITHFUL...and devotes his time for folks such as you.
Go right to the personal E mail and ask Marvin directly.

www.marstam@aol.com

Check out his wonderful website at http://www.marvinstamm.com also for wonderful information that will inform you with all that you can fanthom and all that jazz.
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BADBOY,

Thanks for the e-mail address! I'll be in contact with Mr. Stamm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: