• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ghost/Whisper Tones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please explain the concept to ghost and whisper tones to me?

Thanks

Ronnie
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I was taught them was by putting your bell up to a music stand or something that reflects the sound easily. Make sure there is'nt a lot of outside noise to bother you. The tone seems to be totally inside the trumpet as opposed to projecting out in front of the bell. They are very soft..almost inaudible. I think they are used to help attacks and response, especially at softer dynamics. It also helps me center notes much easier when I blow through the notes to get the normal sound again. I'm sure some others can add more to this.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from David Hickman's "Trumpet Lessons" Vol. I on tone production:

"Whisper tones are extremely soft tones produced by playing so softly that the tone can barely be heard in the bell. Indeed, when played correctly, whisper tones are so soft that the performer is physically unaware of the subtle air flow used when playing them.

To play whisper tones, the embouchure is set normally but no tongue is used in articulation. After starting the tone without any attack a subtle crescendo is made. The crescendo begins with a tiny bit of air (no sound) and is very gradually increased until the tone begins as a quiet whisper in the bell. Although the tone should be very pure, the volume will only be about ppppp.

Whisper tones are the true test of effortless and correct tone production. By spending a few minutes each day on whisper tone exercieses, control and a more pure sound can be greatly improved. Problems with poor response, fuzzy tone and choppy releases can be eliminated."

Hickman's book contains a whisper tone exercise.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:54 ]
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand this subject????

Can you play a song and/or scales with wisper tones?

I tried it last night, heard something, but since I didn't feel my lips vibrating and I couldn't change the sound with any valves I can only assume I wasn't doing it correctly!

[ This Message was edited by: sean007r on 2002-03-06 16:47 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickman advises that you can play whole songs/exercises in ghost/whisper tones. I think they are more easily learned on individual notes. After you are comfortable with the technique you can advance to more difficult exerecises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: