• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Mpc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Bach 1 1/4 C on my Bb and C Trumpets. What mpc would be a good fit for cornet if I'm going for a pure BBB sound? I want a rim that is close to what I have now (if that is possible without sounding too spread out on a cornet) but with the proper cup depth and shape for that warm, round sound.

I want to "channel" Percy Grainger!

Many thanks!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, don't know about Percy, but you could take a look at Flip Oakes' line -- true cornet pieces, in a Bach'ish rim.
http://www.flipoakes.com

Ted Sparks, a frequent contributor, has a line that's been getting good reviews here -- search this very forum. Hopefully he'll chime in -- always nice to hear straight from the source!

FWIW - Don
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Don's two recommendations.

Both these mouthpieces are truly excellent REAL sounding cornet mouthpieces. Ted's in more of the British tradition and Flip's vintage cornet "pieces" in the American tradition.

I'm also pleased with the Warburton BC cups (for "British Cornet"). Mark Curry also does a great job with authentic-sounding cornet "pieces."

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most used cornet mouthpieces in the UK are made by Denis Wick. If I am playing purely cornet for any length of time I tend to go for one of these. Usually, however, I am a Warburton man.
I know that Denis Wick has just started making a new line of cornet mouthpieces designed for trumpeters. The aim was to make a mouthpiece that felt very similar to our standard trumpet ones but sounded like a cornet mouthpiece should. I can't remember the model number of the top of my head - I will find out and repost it here.
I tried a prototype model a couple of weeks ago and it was a very impressive cornet sound, without having to adjust my playing.
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played Denis Wick cornet mouthpieces for more than 20 years and a drilled out Bach 5a for a few years on my cornet.

I liked the DW very much, but there is a new kid on the block, that has produced one of the world best cornet mouthpieces - Ted Sparks

http://www.sparxmusic.com/

Yes, the Bach is more like a trumpet mouthpiece. The DW has a very soft bite and fells much larger than it really is and can wear you out very quickly.

The new Sparx mouthpieces sound even better than the DW and have a better intonation, respond much better and are easier to play than the DW.

The Sparx 2 would propably best match the rim size of your Bach mpc.
'02 Benge Piccolo Trumpet Blackburn pipe w/Haefner 7H*P
I mainly play British Brass and Classical Music
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tromba,
I don't know where in Atlanta you are but if you want to try a Sparx 2 I have one & love it..
I also have a Gold Plated Wick 2 B which is great but the rim is a Little "sharp" for me..

Also if you a Percy Grainger Fan then I have some Great recordings you may want to listen to ..
The Grainger: Works For Wind Orchestra, CD series is Great.. I need to get a the Cincinnati Wind Symphony where they do the chromatisied version of Irish Tune.. Its such a haunting arragnement but most people don't like it..

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

KevinInGeorgia - I might take you up on your offer, but not this week (I have a cold!).
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I play a 1.25C on trumpet and use a Sparx 2 on cornet. The rims are certainly not identical, but it doesn't drive me nuts like the Wick rim does. My experience has been that when you change the underpart of a mouthpiece that much (not to mention the horn...), the rim's going to feel a little different anyway, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the rim. Find a mouthpiece that sounds good and feels acceptable.
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks NE and all. I just played four or five different cornet pieces (used) this afternoon and have found a Denis Wick 3B, which is a tad smaller than the 1 1/4 C rim, but the cup shape was not as funnel-like as the 4 or the 4 1/2 or the 2 I played (which goes to NE's point about cup shape), but I still get that full, round cornet sound.

What a revelation in sound!

I've been playing a Bach 3D cornet shank trumpet piece I had from my picc days and it was horrible sounding - like a $100 E-Bay picc and a Bundy hopped in the sack and created God knows what! My Olds Ambassador sings like never before. I just got home with the new piece an hour ago and I'm so happy, I'm giving my "Olds" girl a bath. The only piece the shop had was gold plated, but it was still a great deal (about 2/3 WWBW price). (Neat shop in Decatur - they had a picc, about 20 cornet pieces, two or three D/Eb horns and a dozen or so cornets of varying qualities).

For those who might remember my question about the stuffy sound with my Olds - it was the combination of the poor mouthpiece fit and TWO leaky water keys (I was able to get the low C to sound well when I placed my finger over the lead pipe water key hole). Once I get new corks, I might not need to get that Besson Soverign yet. I've torn through 1/2 of my Herbert Clark stuff in the last hour and I can't stop! Yehaaaa!

[ This Message was edited by: Tromba Mann on 2003-10-22 16:20 ]
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom... can you explain in more detail your statement >>>> "Both these mouthpieces are truly excellent REAL sounding cornet mouthpieces. Ted's in more of the British tradition and Flip's vintage cornet "pieces" in the American tradition."

How would you describe the British vs. Amercan tradition.

thanks

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough choice between models.. Sparx 3, 3B or 3DV.

Which one best for dark sound without loss of high range??
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Stork 1A or 1 1/2A. The deep v cup really makes it easy to get that BBB sound.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the post I needed.

I'm also a Warburton man, originally 4MC but just started playing a 3M. I'd also like to know if anyone plays any of the Warburton deep cup mpcs and if you get that nice mellow cornet sound from them. I'd like to stay with the Warburton series so I'm considering a deep cup #3 rim.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: The Flip Oakes cornet pieces are manufactured for Flip by Mark Curry of "Curry Precision Mouthpieces. Mark makes great cornet and flugel pieces to go along with his trumpet lines. He uses the traditional, old cup style and not just a remake on a standard v-cup. He will cut your favorite rim on a piece and even skeletonize it to look just like the old "mug" shaped pieces of yesteryear.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: