• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach "New York #7"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Bach "New York #7" Reply with quote

Finished up the first weekend of a summer theater production of "Legally Blonde". I've been playing this horn - it's a special one, 2000 made. It has a bigger bore Than the 37 ML that I'm used to as we'll as the #7 bell. It's very similar to the LT180S77.

I've been pleased with the response and openness of the upper register. It seems to take more air than I'm used to, but with a good bit of breath support, it cuts through the drums/cymbals and sits nicely on top of the rest of the pit.

Just some thoughts as I was feeling pretty good about myself!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to try one of those NY7 horns about a year back. I really loved the way it played and sounded. If I hadn't been buying a C trumpet that day, it probably would have gone home with me. It's "the one that got away" story for me now.
JRYMusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this horn for several years and LOVED IT!! You are right that the blow is open. After my embouchure change it was just a little to big for me, but it is still an awesome horn! It works well in any setting! FYI I had one of the limited edition one too.
Schilke Eb/D
c cup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing the new Bach NY 7 for about 5 months. I really like it. I played a 37 for a long time and also a Yamaha 8310z. Both are great horns. But the NY 7 is a special horn. It is a .462 bore so it is not a lot bigger than the ML. It took a little work to get my accuracy back but after some work it came around and works great. For studio work and lead playing it is outstanding. Big full sound and outstanding upper register.
Glad you are liking yours.

Doug Burns

Last edited by c cup on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to be a "special occasions" or a collection horn, But When I noticed a couple of scratches on the bell I decided that it should not just sit in a case or display. It has turned out to be one of my better decisions.

I also added a water key on the third slide.
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these and traded it a while back. The sound was gorgeous from this horn. A really rounded timbre. It would allow you to play soft and sweet and then light up a room. I agree with the previous post about it sucking the air out of me.

Joe
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the 7 bell. To me the Bach 7 bell sounds similar to a Benge 3X. I think the 7 bell and 7 pipe is a fantastic cobo they balance each other very well. If one took a 7 bell and 43 pipe it would prob. make the best set up for American High School Bands ever produced. I doubt it will ever happen but that would be a much better match for the type of music most of them play. You can not sell a sound concept though if almost no one ever hears one! It is the same with the 72,38,43 and 65 bell almost no one between the ages of 12 and 18 have ever heard one let alone seen one in a music store.

Bach has some great profiles to chose from both in bell profiles and leadpipes and many bore sizes to chose from! Too bad almost no one outside of the hardcore enthusiast and professionals ever get exposed to them! If I hate anything about Bach it is how they pimp out their cash cow Bach 180S37 at the total neglect of the rest of the breed. It hurts the students, the industry and the sound concept has stagnated in this country mostly due to them and their 20,000 a year Model-T of pro-trumpets! The schools and the students pick what they do with total ignorance of what is truly available.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I had the chance to play a 1930 Bach 7/7. I loved it! That particular horn was gold plated and had a very aggressive sound, at least as I heard it.

Later, our own Big Guy let me sample his then-new 180S77. I felt this was one of the most pleasant, balanced trumpets I'd ever played. It was emmaculately turned out. It reminded me of a really good Kanstul 1001, but perhaps a step up from that horn in sound and feel in the hand.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good sound as previous described but too open for me, endurance was not good.

Very good open high register, not stuffy as the 72* i had also (high F was hard to find on the 72 not on the 7/7)
NAPTOWN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're also much lighter than the regular Bach 180, the sound and feel reminds of those great Bessons of the 40's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: