• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Done

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bach229h

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Done Reply with quote

Done

Last edited by bach229h on Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chicagoman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Chicagoman on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Bugleboy21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interesting story about Craig Morris. In 1993 or 94, he came down the road from U of Texas to play through audition material for our trumpet ensemble. He was preparing for one of his first auditions. At the time both of our trumpet teachers could tell that he was talented, but hadn't quite gotten it yet. One of them is a good friend of Craig's and he's said that over the year's he has really practiced hard and the end result is a seat in Herseth's old chair. Don't knock this guy at all. I'm anxious to hear him play and let's not forget that he now has his tenure, given to him by the conductor because he has played well enough for it........despite the over-exagerated expectations placed by a lot of musicians across the classical world.
You have to be a S.M.A.T. B.oy to transpose well! -William Vacchiano
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Everhigher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I sat in the first balcony at Orchestra Hall (Chicago). Two years ago I moved to the "Terrace" section (wraps around the stage). I sit in the next-to-last seat on the front row/left side, as you face the stage. I moved after many years because of the incredible and wonderful visceral sensation of sitting, virtually, with the orchestra. It has also given me, as I expected, a particularly good vantage to watch and hear the trumpets (not to mention the entire brass section!). I've now been to five concerts in which Craig Morris played; and I have no doubt that, even in this seminal year in the principal's chair, he is up to the task. The fact is that the CSO has at least three players -- Craig, Mark Ridenour, and John Hagstrom -- who produce marvelous sounds with their horns. We're very lucky! Living in the same community, I bump into Maestro Herseth fairly often, now that he's not spending most of his life at Orchestra Hall. I'm delighted to say that he is well, his great sense of humor is completely intact, and he seems happily challenged by new opportunities, now that he has the time. We should all be so fortunate. But if anyone deserves his good fortune, he's the man!

Play on!

[ This Message was edited by: Everhigher on 2002-02-27 18:48 ]
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at The Brass Bow the other day picking up my trumpet. There was a guy testing trombone mutes with Wayne Tanabe. He was an awesome player. I mean this guy was unbelievable! When he took a breather, I asked him, "where do you play?" He said, "with the CSO". I laughed and said, "I thought so". He said, "all you've got to do is practice". I said, "yeah, right!" He laughed. I then asked him, "how is Morris doing?" He said, "great"...he's doing very well". I'll take his word for it. That's good enough for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: