• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with New Horn "Break-In"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing for 28 years and never owned a brand new horn, only used instruments. I ordered one in late July and expect delivery mid September. I was reading in Clint Pops' McLaughlin's book that new horns should be "broken in" with a coating of oil on the inside tubes to fill in any gaps and make the horn respond better. I guess that the old timers used to fill them with milk and leave that in the tubes for a few days. Does anyone else know anything about this? Now I know why my 1957 Olds Studio still smells so bad.... spoiled milk! Seriously, do we still need to do this, or does the manufacturer do due diligence to make sure that the horns we buy are already "treated"?

Thanks,

The LIP
Johann24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Lip,

I've never heard of anybody using milk to fill in holes, very interesting ! Anyway, what I do is get a leadpipe swab and swipe the leadpipe everyday after playing (this doesn't have anything directly related to break-in, but will help the horn last longer). The valves are the most important thing to break in well. Every day after use, I take them out and wipe them with a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel. Then roll up the before-mentioned lint-free cloth or new square ripped off a paper towel and clean each valve casing. Even if you don't see any gunk, there are microscopic pieces of metal wearing off as the valve laps exactly to the casing. Every once in awhile, wipe the inside of the bottom valve caps--this is where dirt and stuff can accumulate.

These are the only major things I can think of; hope it helps!

University of Rochester, Class of 2010
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Lip,

Oil it up, play it hard, wipe it down, and start all over the next day.

Serously, I just oil it down and wipe the pistons off with a soft cloth maybe everyother or every third time I play it for about 3-4 weeks. After that, I occassionaly wipe the pistons and swab the casings maybe once a month and do the once a year trumpet in the tub bath. I had my 26 year old horn Ultra Sonically Cleaned for the first time earlier this summer. It turned out real nice. I might consider doing that once a year now instead.

[ This Message was edited by: ConnMan on 2003-09-05 19:14 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first 2 weeks I would wipe and oil the valves and casing every other day at least. I would also oil the leadpipe and blow the oil thru the horn.

For the first month I would clean the entire horn once a week.

For basic maintenance I would thoroughly clean entire horn once a month. It's surprising what can build up in just a month.

HTH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PhilipCC said ... except I would do it daily, swab the valves and casing out with alcohol, air dry and then oil at the end of the day, oil liberally throughout the practice day. Wash and air dry once a week for a month anyway. Push a brush through the lead pipe daily. I only drink water tea or coffee (black) while I am playing. Enjoy your new horn!!!
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when breaking in a new horn, you should shoot some alcass fast valve oild down your leadpipe everday brfore playing and blow moving your valves.... the extra will drain out...-

clr will get rid of that smell on your own horn - just make sure to wash it out well, clr is nasty stuff...

-marc
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just [play the damn thing and oil the valves when they stick. Leave the freak show stuff in the kitchen.

In Peace,

TM
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-05 15:54, 2LIP wrote:
I was reading in Clint Pops' McLaughlin's book that new horns should be "broken in" with a coating of oil on the inside tubes to fill in any gaps and make the horn respond better. I guess that the old timers used to fill them with milk and leave that in the tubes for a few days. Does anyone else know anything about this? Now I know why my 1957 Olds Studio still smells so bad.... spoiled milk!
Thanks,
The LIP

Hi
This is about the Olds rather than running in a new horn.
After cleaning the Olds just use one of the stronger Zaja oils. Lately I have taken a liking to older Bachs and have had a long model cornet, a G/F trumpet and a C. All suffered to varying degrees with that "dead trumpet" smell I am sure we all know. Anyway, to get rid of the stink I just oiled the slides and valves everyday with Zaja mulberry (the strongest smelling one I found), and played them of course. Dead trumpet smell is now a thing of the past.
hope this helps
Brian Jones
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with TM on this one. Just play it and you will be fine.

TopGun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: