• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel: Conn V1 vs Kanstul ZKT1500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SinePari9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not played either, and becuase I live in a cultural black hole....at the very least from a horn shopping perspective, I'd like some input. I'm looking for a flugel and it's come down to these two. I have owned and played Kanstuls before (not flugels, though), and like them. I've never owned a Conn, save for an old Director Cornet.

I play in an Army Band, University Jazz Lab, and Church Orchestra, so all styles will be covered.

Thanks...I look forward to hearing your opinions.
===============
Bach Strad 43
Bach 3C
===============
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've not played the V1 so can't offer a direct comparison but I do own and play the Kanstul, so my comments are limited to that.

Its got a lovely 'buttery' sound, mellow but not muffled. Intonation is excellent and it has the flexibility to be able to lip the notes above the staff into centre. I found that, as is typical of small bore horns, it really comes into its own when you relax and don't muscle it around like a trumpet. I know that some flugels are less sensitive to this but this one is not. The only disappointment was that the valves took quite a bit of work to settle them down. I have owned a few Kanstul trumpets all with great valves so this was surprising.

For your reference I use a GR 3 Fl with it and the match is excellent (although the Wick woked nicely as well but was just a tad darker).

Hope this helps

Regards

Trevor
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard lots of players are selling their Kanstul's and going with the Conn V1. Kanstul was the standard until the Conn came out. You need to play it to believe it.

romey
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles...if you are looking for a flugel, you might have better luck checking out the Kanstul ZFL 1525. The ZKT 1500 is a trumpet.

Not trying to be a wise a$$.... I'm slowly entering the "zone" where one starts considering a good flugel myself. I've got the same two on my "list" along with the B & S Elaboration flugel. Unfortunately my Mrs. is still getting over the purchase of the Schilke (although subsequently getting a real "deal" on the Getzen cornet helped).
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the V1 flugel and the Sandoval LeBlanc flugel (which physically looks like the Kanstul). My own flugel is a Yamaha 731. I'd say that the intonation of the V1 is slightly superior to the Yamaha and LeBlanc. The LeBlanc has the darkest tone and the V1 and Yamaha have a classic, lighter flugel tone. Valve action is excellent on all three horns. I like the 3d valve trigger the best on the V1.

I prefer the "classic", light flugel sound. If money were no object, I'd pick the V1. As it is, the differences are small enough that I'm sticking with my 731. If I were buying I'd also check out the Yamaha Shew flugel.

A gentleman in my big band plays a Sandoval and everyone complements his dark tone with that horn. (I don't know which mouthpiece he uses).

Hope that helps.

Ciao,

Dave
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gold plated Conn V1 and played it for about 3 years and it was a fabulous horn, but for me and the way I play, I've switched to a Kanstul 1500. I just sold the V1 as a matter of fact. I hated to see it go, but life goes on.

I think all in all the V1 is a more versatile horn, but I prefer the "blow" of the 1500 and sound of that heavy copper bell. You can't really lose with either horn, it just comes down to personal preferences.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just to be clear, in regards to my previous posts I'm talking about trumpets, not flugels.

I also have the Conn V1 flugel and have no plans of parting with that rascal.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played a Conn V1 flugel at the Eastlake factory and it was an incredible instrument. Unfortunately that horn was slated for shipment to a retail store. Conn is filling store orders for the V1 flugel as fast as they come off the bench because the demand for this new horn is extremely high. Place your order and get in line!!!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my V1 flugel since December. I use the Claude Gorndon Personal (CGP) flugel mpc with it. If you would like to listen to it in a small group setting (jazz guitar, vocal and flugel), you can download a couple songs from a little spot on Yahoo that I set up. Sometimes I think it doesn't sound very dark and from behind the horn I would like to hear it darker... but, I guess the recording sounds dark enough. You be the judge.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/richhughes/files/

the tunes are mp3 files ... about 3.5megs each... so they take awhile to download if you have a dial up modem like I do
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, maybe it isn't going to work... I tried the link and it just takes me to where I have to sign in with my yahoo name and pass word... I guess I can send an "invite" to anyone that wants to be able to go to that link... so, if your curious, send me your email at redshoes@cccusa.net and I'll email you with an invite to go to the sight.. sorry for the trouble. I guess if you have a yahoo name and pass word you can get in.. or you can create one and then when you get to the site, you can join or become a member of my group... geez... what a lot of trouble... maybe there is an easier place to post files.

rich

[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-09-03 23:14 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: