• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Handcraft trumpet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

I've read that the vast majority of Committees were/are #2 medium-bore horns. The #3s were/are rarer.

I am also under the impression that the 3#s were/are more highly prized and respected, not solely because of their rarity, but for superior playing characteristics. Is that pretty much true?

When they were made, were the #3s more expensive than the #2s? Did more hours go into their construction? Was quality control tighter for them? Were they considered to be a step up from the #2s?

Do the #3s have a better reputation for intonation or have some of you played #3s that were "dogs?"

This is the essence of my last entry. As I often do, I surrounded it with other verbiage that got in the way of my main point, and the part for which I'm most hoping to get a response.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I am also under the impression that the 3#s were/are more highly prized and respected, not solely because of their rarity, but for superior playing characteristics. Is that pretty much true?

This seems to be the case with some players--I know Wallace Roney plays only #3 bore horns, Chris Botti's Handcraft is a #3 bore I believe too. However, Dizzy, Roy Eldridge, Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham, Donald Byrd, and Miles (in certain periods, later he played a #3 bore) all played the standard M bore Committee so it's safe to say it was more of an issue of personal preference. That said, out of all the Martins he inherited from Miles, his favorite was a certain #3 bore, the RMC era one he describes at http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Martin%20Committee.html.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I am interested in what this horn will be like, and I've never been a committee person.

I'll be in Chicago this week. I wish I could find the time to drop by Schilke HQ.
augustinemelecio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Last edited by augustinemelecio on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustinemelecio wrote:
Ray is correct. I work for Schilke and it is a copy of Botti's horn and will be showcased at NAMM. I played on two different prototypes and they did not feel like a .468 at all. I was ecstatic to know that we were putting out a jazz horn and it sounds great. Botti was sent two horns, both non-plated raw finished, one brushed. Not sure what he thought but I just saw a gold plated one that will be displyed at NAMM and it is GORGEOUS! Really beautiful engraving on the bell. I took a pic but I don't know how to upload to this post via my phone.

Confused...? I thought it was based on Miles horns owned by Wallace. It would be seriously interesting to know what Botti thinks... Chris are you listening?

Walter
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustinemelecio wrote:
Ray is correct. I work for Schilke and it is a copy of Botti's horn and will be showcased at NAMM. I played on two different prototypes and they did not feel like a .468 at all. I was ecstatic to know that we were putting out a jazz horn and it sounds great. Botti was sent two horns, both non-plated raw finished, one brushed. Not sure what he thought but I just saw a gold plated one that will be displyed at NAMM and it is GORGEOUS! Really beautiful engraving on the bell. I took a pic but I don't know how to upload to this post via my phone.

Hi

Where is this quote posted from?

Is it from a few posts back, the one that has been edited only to say nice, or from another thread?

I can't see it on the Bach/Schilke thread which also mentions the Schilke handcraft, either.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Where is this quote posted?

Ahh, it was edited.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody's boss caught them speaking out of turn.
augustinemelecio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke Handcraft is going to be awesome. I invite everyone to come out to the NAMM show and see for yourself. Wallace Roney will be getting the first one
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustinemelecio wrote:
The Schilke Handcraft is going to be awesome. I invite everyone to come out to the NAMM show and see for yourself. Wallace Roney will be getting the first one

How can he have the first one if Chris Botti already has two....

Walter
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
augustinemelecio wrote:

Confused...? I thought it was based on Miles horns owned by Wallace. It would be seriously interesting to know what Botti thinks... Chris are you listening?

Walter

Whoa, hold the phone! The Handcraft is NOT a copy of Botti's horn, not sure where you heard that, employee of Schilke or not! I just got off the phone with Wallace Roney who read this post and was surprised to hear that the horn he is responsible for is being credited to Chris Botti. While it is true that Schilke is courting Chris to play the Handcraft, Chris had nothing to do with it's design. The Handcraft is a copy of Wallace Roney's Martin Committee and Magna trumpets that he inherited from Miles Davis. Phil at Schilke as well as the owner of the company, Andrew Naumann, confirmed this during my visit to the factory last November. For the record, the Handcraft is based on Miles Davis's #3 Martin Committees that were loaned to them by Wallace Roney. I saw the proof with my own eyes, Wallace has a copy of the measurements/blueprints that Schilke took from his horns. Sorry to get a bit loud on here but I want to make sure that Wallace gets 100% credit for his contributions to this project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
For the record, the Handcraft is based on Miles Davis's #3 Martin Committees that were loaned to them by Wallace Roney. I saw the proof with my own eyes, Wallace has a copy of the measurements/blueprints that Schilke took from his horns. Sorry to get a bit loud on here but I want to make sure that Wallace gets 100% credit for his contributions to this project.

Brava!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure this horn will make some good sales , all ready my buddy Jazz50's told me he will order it as soon as possible .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
augustinemelecio wrote:

Walter

Whoa, hold the phone! The Handcraft is NOT a copy of Botti's horn, not sure where you heard that, employee of Schilke or not! I just got off the phone with Wallace Roney who read this post and was surprised to hear that the horn he is responsible for is being credited to Chris Botti. While it is true that Schilke is courting Chris to play the Handcraft, Chris had nothing to do with it's design. The Handcraft is a copy of Wallace Roney's Martin Committee and Magna trumpets that he inherited from Miles Davis. Phil at Schilke as well as the owner of the company, Andrew Naumann, confirmed this during my visit to the factory last November. For the record, the Handcraft is based on Miles Davis's #3 Martin Committees that were loaned to them by Wallace Roney. I saw the proof with my own eyes, Wallace has a copy of the measurements/blueprints that Schilke took from his horns. Sorry to get a bit loud on here but I want to make sure that Wallace gets 100% credit for his contributions to this project.

Glad you cleared that up... I can't wait to try one of these horns. Will look forward to all the reviews....guys at NAMM?

Walter
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

You're on horn restriction
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwy wrote:
Walt,

I know Rich.....

I don't plan to buy anything just yet but hey ho if Chris Botti starts playing a Schilke Handcraft I would have to at least try it.......

Probably a rubbish horn...

Walter
augustinemelecio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
richardwy wrote:
Walt,

I know Rich.....

I don't plan to buy anything just yet but hey ho if Chris Botti starts playing a Schilke Handcraft I would have to at least try it.......

Walter

How do you know Chris Botti is NOT playing a handcraft? Hmmmmm....
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustinemelecio wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
richardwy wrote:
Walt,

I know Rich.....

Walter

How do you know Chris Botti is NOT playing a handcraft? Hmmmmm....

Photo or it never happened...

Walter
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
augustinemelecio wrote:

Walter

The last time that there was a conflict between Wallace Roney/Geri Allen and posters here it didn't go well as I remember.

One comment.. too bad Schilke named it 'The Handcraft" if it's not designed after the Handcraft, but instead, modeled after the modified late model Committee/LeBlanc/St550 Miles horn.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
augustinemelecio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
intrepidpooch wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
augustinemelecio wrote:

Walter

The last time that there was a conflict between Wallace Roney/Geri Allen and posters here it didn't go well as I remember.

One comment.. too bad Schilke named it 'The Handcraft" if it's not designed after the Handcraft, but instead, modeled after the modified late model Committee/LeBlanc/St550 Miles horn.

His not liking the horn had nothing to do with some comment on here. Some people don't know what they have. I've played on Commitee horns and they are nowhere comparable to today's horns. The slotting, compression, valves, sound quality and intonation are better on today's horns. People who play on older horns do it for nostalgia or comfort but in all honesty are limiting themselves on horns like the old Commitees.
It's too bad people are too selfish and have no integrity these days. When you make a commitment, you should honor it. If you base your decisions off of comments you see in a blog from someone who is not even involved, you'll go through life chasing your tail, going in circles because business decisions should always be made with your brain, not on emotion. Thats why Botti is who he is and others are not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: