• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Mpcs: Do you have to use a "C" mpc on C trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am curious as to what the Monette gurus think about the use of the
various key Monette mouthpieces. I have played Monettes for 3 years
now, and I have always used my B12 on my C trumpet as well. I notice
that my horn seems to "build up a wall" as I ascend above top line F. I can
play up to a high C without too much effort. The "wall" becomes stronger
the higher I go. I dont have any wall problems with my Bb trumpet. Is this
the Bb mouthpiece working against the C trumpet? I'm pretty sure it is
just me, but I thought I would check.

What is to be gained by using a C mouthpiece on a C trumpet? Better
intonation? Better sound? I haven't noticed sound being a problem using
the B12 on my C trumpet.

I play a Lawler Bb and a Bach C with 229 bell and Blackburn leadpipe.

Thanks
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question when I was looking into Monette mouthpieces. The vast majority opinion was: It's better to play a Monette C mp in a Bb horn than a Bb mp in a C horn. In other words, if you were going to have only one mp and switch horns, better to have the C mp. It has to do with the intonation. The Bb mp is too long for a C horn. The shorter C mp is OK on the Bb horn.

David
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are feeling on the C trumpet is probably the pitch center of the mouthpiece being too low in the upper register, so the mouthpiece wants to play flat above the staff. Of course, that's the way most mouthpieces play except that Monettes tend to lock in the pitches more because of their weight and the larger gap and it's harder to "lip up" the notes to compensate. If you played a C1-2 you'd find the upper register to be more in tune and the sound would also be darker and broader.

Using a C mouthpiece on a Bb is a little easier since the Bb is easier to play in tune, but for me I can't get much brilliance with a C mouthpiece on a Bb. Tends to sound too foggy and unfocused.

It sounds like you are pretty set on the 1-2 size. Why not pick up a used C1-2?

Rich
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I don't find the upper register going flat in any way. Actually, some notes are a bit high (like open G). This "wall" is a dynamic thing too. I've got "pp" to "fff" up to 4th space E. After that, my dynamics compress, where I only have "mp" to "f" at high Bb. I think this would have to be my problem, not my horn or mouthpiece. I just wondered if having the wrong Monette mpc for a C trumpet would make the horn "shut off" up high. Like I have said, this isn't really a problem on my Bb. Maybe I am using too large of a mouthpiece.

Oh, I am not really stuck on the 12 series. I just dont like the rim of the B2. I like a flatter rim. I did play a B15M the other day and really liked it. That would be a possibility. I also have yet to try a B3. That may be the ticket. I dont know. I just like the sound (size, color, richness) of the B12. I would like to avoid more brightness/brilliance. I would say my sound is more towards the brilliant, resonant, large (not bright) side of things. I dont want to be any more so if at all possible.

David,

Do you use a C mouthpiece on your Bb, or do you have each? What do you notice about playing characteristics?

I appreciate your commments, and would like as much info on this as possible!!

Thanks,
Eric
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assert that, yes, you should always use a Monette mouthpiece with the key of instrument for which it was made. Honestly, I didn't believe that using mouthpieces in the correct key was necessary until I tried it myself. I felt this same "wall as you did when using my B4 and B6 24 on a C trumpet. I have since purchased a C4, and it feels much like the feeling from switching from a non-Monette mouthpiece to Monette. I guess this is similar to the fact that I didn't think that a Monette mouthpiece would make much of a difference with pitch centering until I experimented (not because I was dissatisfied with the Monette mouthpieces) with switching back to my Bach 1C from my Monette B4. I am certain that the different feel didn't come from the size difference, because I have experienced that before. The Bach piece simply didn't seem to play as solidly as the Monette. I say that without even mentioning the slip in tone quality that I felt. All of these changes are best experienced by trying it yourself, but paradoxically, I couldn't personally imagine going back from Monette. I'm sure people could tell me of people who moved back to non-Monette equipment successfully, but I'm just giving information from personal experience. I would recommend having mouthpieces for the correct keys of instruments, just as Dave Monette, himself recommends. It is strange to think that, by just trying and liking a few Monette mouthpieces a couple years ago, I have "committed" myself to using Monette equipment from here on out. Even more strange is that I (of all people) don't resist this commitment at all.

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2002-02-13 23:46 ]
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I ultimately had one of each. I started with just the C mp. Then I got the Bb. I found the slotting was better on the Bb with the Bb mp, but not by much. I did try the Bb mp in the C and it didn't work very well at all. Intonation and slotting was all over the place. Nothing locked in for me.

I've had several Monette mp's over the last few years. I've kept them for a while then sold them. I keep wanting to try them. But for the life of me, I can't keep from going really sharp in the upper register with each of them. Something in my "body alignment" I guess. So I've given up.

David
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-14 12:39, trptdaddy wrote:
Eric, I ultimately had one of each. I started with just the C mp. Then I got the Bb. I found the slotting was better on the Bb with the Bb mp, but not by much. I did try the Bb mp in the C and it didn't work very well at all. Intonation and slotting was all over the place. Nothing locked in for me.

I've had several Monette mp's over the last few years. I've kept them for a while then sold them. I keep wanting to try them. But for the life of me, I can't keep from going really sharp in the upper register with each of them. Something in my "body alignment" I guess. So I've given up.

David

Morn. David

Just curious???? What brand of C instrument and or leadpipe are you using with Monette's mp???

A couple of years ago a@ the 2000 Monette Open house, Dave and Cal Price and I took my Callet Symphonique Cpr. C horn into the "Mouthpiece Throne Room." Where we were trying to "hook up a good fit to that really beefed up leadpipe and receiver end on my horn with a 6C Monette.
Cal gave me a really good illustration with his own C horn...and then popped this 6C into my Callet... he then blew the same nice little cadenza thingee' on my Callet. Cal...said whoah,VERY NICE!"

Although Cal was very complimentry on the Clarity, open-ness, the ease at which the notes above the staff locked in...but he was having more difficulty actually with the lower staff notes???.
Dave, then measured the mps. gap to the reciever end and it was noticably wide???? He then picked another 6C that was noticably "turned down" from his shelve collection of all sorts of mps.

Cal popped in this turned down model...played a few seconds...and gave that broad grin, and said hey Dave, try this?? Then Dave passed this horn to Charlie...he tried it and said...Hummm?? Whats up? He then took the re-vamped mp and hit a few notes and said something like.."Really Open...plays wonderful..BUT TOO BRASSY AND BRIGHT but this would be a great horn if ya wanna "stickout" or play a really high energy and handed it back with a sly look and grin to Dave and Cal???and said. Pretty horn, but a little "Light" (Was this a smoozejob?)))
I gotta confess...this old Unmighty Don was quite "sheepishly shy" around all these professionals... but then I finally got to pop my little worthless "Flight of the PizzzAnt" and I was all over the place...I switched to some octave slurrs...but how can anyone really tell just how good any mp. is without living with it..and a long honeymoon...but still, it seemed to be centered nicely but in front of all these ICONs and soooooooo many other eye-balls looking over at us.
I handed the mp back...popped back in my Callet Vari-Cup 3s and hummmm???? In that 20 sec. test????

The only thing I could tell was that if I played softly on the Monette 6C, my sound went a touch airy...but when I added a little "air" the Monette fattened and densed right up.
Later that eve. I took a few more hits on the turned down 6C but just couldn't commit to that much $$$$ How would I convince my dearest beloved...that I spent over $200.00 for a little shiney gold mp. for this "OLD-FART?"
A couple thing of note:
Was that re-fit that Dave suggested and my Callet would need a turned down Monette 6C (for an improved pitch and improved clarity in notching of notes (after he heard my lame candenza-put more likely IT WAS JUST ME, DOING THE POOR NOTE-NOTCHING THAG'??)
The other difference noticable was the Monette HUGE dia. hole at the bottom of the cup..compared to my teenie-weenie hole at the bottom of my vari-cup Callet cup???
I was so impressed by the larger dia. hole at the throat that a few days after returning home, I went through my drawer of old mouthpieces and picked up an Old King 7M (that looks similar (on the outside) and took my dremel tool..with the cone tip and sanded out the throat, a little at a time...WOW! I IMPROVED THAT OLD MOUTHPIECE..I WAS SOO IMPRESSED I TOOK IT WITH ME TO A PRACTICE GIG!!! and was that impressed.....HOWEVER..

Just like a good medicine...A little cures...but TOO MUCH KILLS! That night after I got home...I grabbed the dremel and opened it up a tad more, (still sounded great...SO I GOT CARRIED AWAY....AND REALLY HOGGED IT OUT! !@#$%^&* OPPS!!!! TOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! ANOTHER FISHING WEIGHT SINKER!!!

BOTTOM LINE: GUESS, I SHOULD HAVE JUST BIT THE BIG ONE AND HAD DAVE TURN DOWN ONE OF HIS BEAUTIFUL 6C and dealed with my family why I had spent the heating bill payment on a MOUTHPIECE???? ))
SO THE SEARCH FOR THE HOLY GRAIL OF MOUTHPIECES CONTINUES..and those profound words that JACK KANSTUL said to me later that night after we left that steller eve. performance at the Monette Open house...
"DON, TRULY...PERHAPS...INSTEAD OF SEARCHING FOR THE "GRAIL OF MPS...YOU COULD JUST BEST USE THE EXTRA TIME SPENT IN PRACTICE!" I just hate it when folks are sooooo @#$%^ honest111:)))

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-02-14 13:39 ]
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

It's possible that the "shutting off" that you are feeling is just you, but I'd also suspect that as you are ascending above the staff you are playing more and more above the pitch center to keep the C horn in tune up there with the Bb mouthpiece. If you play off the pitch center of the mouthpiece, you'll loose a lot of the resonance and freedom of response which will kill your dynamic range at both ends. If you can do it, try playing into the upper register and intentionally letting everything go flat. This may be hard to do if you adjust automatically, but you also might find that resonance that you are losing up there.

I do have difference mouthpieces for Bb and C trumpet, but I don't have much of a choice because I play an STC-3 mouthpiece on my Monette C and an STC-1 on my Yamaha Bb. I do own an STC-1 C mouthpiece which I've played on my Bb though and I've owned pairs of matched mouthpieces in the past.

Talk to you later,
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: