• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul ZKT 1600 WB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there besides me played one of these horns?

The horn I played sure was free blowing with a big sound.

JW
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat horn! Sort of like a tweaked 72* with an opened up 43 leadpipe . . . but in an awesome finish.
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, WHAT A HORN!!!!

I had the opportunity two (2) months ago of trying one out for about three (3) days while my ax was in the shop getting some work done to it. It was like day and night between my horn and the "WB".

If I had the $$, I'd buy one right now.

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I played the WB while at the Texas Bandmaster's Convention in San Antonio last month.

JW
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Kanstul ZKT 1504, which is very close to the WB, and I love it! Plays very open with a huge sound. Slots great with excellent intonation.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a fan of the Kanstul ZKT 1600. So much so that I ordered one late July and expect it to be delivered mid September. I will post a follow up thread about the new horn after I spend some time with it. I looked at a lot of horns before choosing that one, so if you want more info about comparisons, contact me off line.

The LIP

[ This Message was edited by: 2LIP on 2003-09-02 17:08 ]
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a WB Kanstul about 2 months ago. And I enjoy it very much.
I bought the same one that ConnMan had/ tried. How are you doing ConnMan?
I hope fine. Funny you would have bought it then when you tried it but the money thing was tight. I was in the same boat a few months earlier when I tried it.
I'm just GLAD you brought it back when I stopped down. I hope you get one soon.
I remember you saying you had a vintage Conn Connstelation. Another great sounding vintage trumpet.

A beautiful looking horn, and a unique sound I think. Plays (in my opinion) very rich and dark , but when you push it a bit, you can open it up and brighten the sound. That's the best part about the horn that I like. I use the same mouthpiece (a Bach 7D) with it, and if I want to play some mellow jazz the sound is there that I want. Yet I can play lead or bright dixeland jazz with the same set up. One horn, 2 great sounds. Oh yeah.......... not to mention it's one of the coolest looking horns that I've seen, or played too!

I"ve always went after and played the vintage trumpets. But I can say I finally found a modern made horn I actually like better. Let's see... I've played about 10 different Paris Selmers to include the 19A, 23A, 24A balanced models, lightweight K-Modifieds, New York Bachs, Mt Vernon's (2 lightweights included) Martin Committee's, Older Benges, etc, etc. And they were some great players.
I won't go as far to say the Kanstul WB 1600 is better then any of those old faithful vintage trumpets, but in my opinion it's every bit a unique trumpet as they were/ are.

Yeah the Kanstul WB is one great axe. I hope it keeps me off of ebay for at least a few years!!! (LOL) I'm very happy with it.

Ben
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to say it's better or worse than the older benges ....

I own a 1975 Benge 3X and a 1972 Bach 180/37 Strad ....

The Kanstul WB is a different breed of horn all together ... a complete different design.
I still play all my horns in different areas and still like them all.

That Kanstul WB was some serious "FUN" to play though .. cool looking ... cool playing too!

JW

1975 Benge 3x
1972 Bach 180/37 Strad
2003 ZeuS G
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
...... uhh ... and Conn Director Cornet ohh yeah the one that started it all!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: dbacon on 2003-09-26 17:51 ]
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all horns work for everybody!
Yeah Dave............ that's the darn truth. I've tried so many trumpets over the years it's almost funny. I"ve tried some that guys swore were awesome, and I didn't like them a bit. (for me). The best (for me) were a early Elkhart 72*, A lightweight Selmer K-Modified, a 37* Vernon, a 65' Burbank Benge 3X, and a 19A Paris Selmer.

I surely understand how some guys have a few horns for different jobs/ styles. I remember being on a gig and wanting to have 2 trumpets / one for mellow jazz solo's and one for lead. geeeezzzzzzz. I finaly decided to get one that I would get me as close to what I want for all my playing.

For this trumpet player it seems I can brighten up any horn if I open up and push it a bit, but I can't darken the sound as easy on a lead / light horn?? If that makes any sense? If I play the Kanstul WB with a normal relaxed playing style it is dark enough for me. Yet if I just push down on the gas petal a bit, I can get the bright sound I want. But yeah when I first played it, it seemed to be strickly a different sound, almost a very "flat" sound (for lack of a better word) with little to no edge on it. Kind of hard to explain. This is of course "my" experiance with it. But again once I worked with it a bit and give it a little zip I noticed I could get the bright sound I want sometimes.

When I first started trying and messing with different trumpets (at the beginning of the computer/ trumpet herald/ ebay days)............. MAN I HAD A BLAST. I wanted to try everything under the sun that I heard guys say "this is the ONE" etc. But now I'm kind of in the "enough is enough" mode (LOL). But those days of trying those vintage horns sure was fun!!

Put the mouthpiece in, blow the gig, get paid, and go home.

Life is good.

Ben Mauger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: