• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why is Harry James often not spoken of?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the end, if you are talking strictly trumpet and influence, H.J. wins that one.

Sigh . . . that's just not correct. This isn't a matter of opinion.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sure had a lot of notches in his gun belt, though...

"Drinks with Mr. James?"
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different strokes for different folks is the way I see it. Also, to me he wasn't as much as of standout as Louis was during his day. The stuff Louis was doing, melodically, harmonically and physically on the trumpet was simply amazing for the day. Harry could play, no doubt about that, but listen to him and Roy Eldridge around the same time and you see perhaps there were guys who could match him in some ways as trumpet players. Harmonically, he didn't do all that much that was innovative and if you're going on virtuosity, don't forget about Rafael Mendez. He was around the same period in a sense as well. So, I really don't think Harry stood out in that many ways, aside from just being a technically brilliant trumpeter. Allen Vizzutti is the same way in my opinion. Technically, one of the most amazing guys to ever play the trumpet, but he never really gained popularity like Wynton did.

PS don't forget about Bunny Berigan and the likes that were also around during the same time. It was a great century for trumpeters!

Last edited by CurtisCalderon on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to Harry wih my above post. I have learned and performed most of what he did and it wasn't easy and he was a musical guy for sure. Any trumpeter that dismisses him is doing a disservice to himself. There's also the unknown of why some guys get famous and others don't or why some tunes take off when one artist does them and not when another does. Harry James definitely celebrated much fame and celebrity in his day and afterwards.
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Harry James often not spoken of?

The man was a monster player period. By viewing the amount of reply's and views on this thread, I'd say that the trumpet community is demonstrating that this threads title is a bit erroneous.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man was a monster player period. By viewing the amount of reply's and views on this thread, I'd say that the trumpet community is demonstrating that this threads title is a bit erroneous.[/quote]

I totally agree with your observation on Harry and this topic. With no disrespect to Louis Armstrong the two men are not even in the same category. Armstrong was an innovator for his time but his time came and
went and he became known dthe last 25 years of his life mostly for his vocals by himself and duets with other singing stars, films and variety shows performing very commercial material . If you are talking style, incomparable technique, longevity of his band under his direction (44 years), films, recordings, concert appearances over the years all over the world and numbers of other pros who count him as a major influence I personally believe no twentieth century trumpeter comes close to Harry James.
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous comment about Harry isn't comparing him to anyone else, his legacy stands on it's own, and speaks for itself.
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toughcritic wrote:
The man was a monster player period. By viewing the amount of reply's and views on this thread, I'd say that the trumpet community is demonstrating that this threads title is a bit erroneous.

I totally agree with your observation on Harry and this topic. With no disrespect to Louis Armstrong the two men are not even in the same category. Armstrong was an innovator for his time but his time came and
went and he became known dthe last 25 years of his life mostly for his vocals by himself and duets with other singing stars, films and variety shows performing very commercial material . If you are talking style, incomparable technique, longevity of his band under his direction (44 years), films, recordings, concert appearances over the years all over the world and numbers of other pros who count him as a major influence I personally believe no twentieth century trumpeter comes close to Harry James.

Louis Armstrong's contributions to music are far more profoundly important than just his trumpeting!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Harry and Louis Reply with quote

Trent is absolutely correct. Louis literally invented what we now call jazz, and listen carefully to his recordings from the mid 20's and you will hear him playing phrases in a swinging style (today the norm) 10 years before the other cats figured it out. Louis "slanted" the notes when everyone else was playing "straight up and down". And let's not forget the amazing breaks he came up with which very few could pull off at that time including his mentor King Oliver. And the ease with which he soared into the upper register, much above what was considered the limits then. Harmonically he also reached into new territory with lightning speed included. Oh yes, Louis was the inspiration for virtually everyone who followed, trumpet players being part of the group. I can tell you from personal experience playing with Harry James, Louis was the guy he learnt from and no bigger fan of Harry's exists than me.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and also in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a bargain bin compilation of Harry James big band tracks, "hits" I've heard before. Sure, he can play, but the band, the singers, strings- it's corny, just doesn't swing for me.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the "swing meter" for this one from "Young Man With A Horn"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFqN7uVP3g
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
Check the "swing meter" for this one from "Young Man With A Horn"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFqN7uVP3g

Add a little growl and you've got Roy Eldridge. Super!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject of the thread has been disproved by the responses and views.

Not quite sure how this evolved in to a "I'm better than you" comparison between HJ and who ever.

To criticize HJ or any accomplished pro would make me feel like a moron once I did a reality check and took a good look in the mirror.
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: My thoughts again Reply with quote

Critics beware when youth (in my case then) overtakes better judgement. In 1964 when I was with the Tommy Dorsey band, the Sam Donahue led band featured Frank Sinatra, Jr, Helen Forrest, The Pied Pipers and Charlie Shavers. We were in England and Larry O'Brien, Tommy Check, Charlie and I did an interview with the magazine Crescendo which was the British equivalent of DownBeat. It was set up as a type of blind fold test and one of the pieces we heard was a dixieland recording. I made the stupid comment that "dixieland makes me sicker than the flu" to which Charlie added, "the best airplane ever built was the Wright Brother's plane". God, I was so hip. My point here is exactly as the other post said so well, look in the mirror before passing judgement.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My thoughts again Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Critics beware when youth (in my case then) overtakes better judgement. In 1964 when I was with the Tommy Dorsey band, the Sam Donahue led band featured Frank Sinatra, Jr, Helen Forrest, The Pied Pipers and Charlie Shavers. We were in England and Larry O'Brien, Tommy Check, Charlie and I did an interview with the magazine Crescendo which was the British equivalent of DownBeat. It was set up as a type of blind fold test and one of the pieces we heard was a dixieland recording. I made the stupid comment that "dixieland makes me sicker than the flu" to which Charlie added, "the best airplane ever built was the Wright Brother's plane". God, I was so hip. My point here is exactly as the other post said so well, look in the mirror before passing judgement.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.

This should be required reading for all trumpet players, especially those on TH.

Thanks Tony, for your thoughtful insight, and hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mutual respect...

toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: HIS MASTER'S VOICE Reply with quote

From the Harry James biography, TRUMPET BLUES, to quote the great Louis Armstrong when he first heard Harry play in a DOWNBEAT magazine all stars recording session: "That cat can really play!" I think that says it all.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman, who are the two in the photo (especially the Black man)?
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamajazzlady wrote:
rothman, who are the two in the photo (especially the Black man)?

You surely must be putting us all on, right? Are you sure you are a jazz lady?
That is the great Harry James and the great Louis Armstrong!
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Why is Harry James often not spoken of? Reply with quote

Why is Harry James often not spoken of? Time tends to eradicate memory. Probably 10 percent of the American population can identify Wynton Marsalis, but only 1 percent Harry James.

My contemporaries cut their teeth on Harry James Trumpet Method and Harry James Studies and Improvisations for Trumpet, books that have long ago yellowed, fallen apart, and been relegated to the dust bin--well actually I still have my copies. Why aren't these books spoken of today? Not necessarily because they're inferior to more current ones but rather because they've been forgotten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: