• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hypothetical Horn Mod

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical Horn Mod Reply with quote

When I was picking out a new horn, I was stuck between the Yamaha 8310z and the 8335LA; I really liked both horns, but ended up picking the Z.
Every once in a while, I play my friend's LA and I love it too... As I understand it, the major difference between the two horns is the leadpipe and tuning slide.
So... hypothetically... would it be possible to find a leadpipe and tuning slide from an LA and get my Z horn modified so I could swap out leadpipe/tuning slide at will?

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical Horn Mod Reply with quote

zackh411 wrote:
When I was picking out a new horn, I was stuck between the Yamaha 8310z and the 8335LA; I really liked both horns, but ended up picking the Z.
Every once in a while, I play my friend's LA and I love it too... As I understand it, the major difference between the two horns is the leadpipe and tuning slide.
So... hypothetically... would it be possible to find a leadpipe and tuning slide from an LA and get my Z horn modified so I could swap out leadpipe/tuning slide at will?

There are setups that allow for the mouthpipe to be changed. So, I guess that you could get that done and have those two mouthpipes made for it. Then you would need the other tuning slide. The horn may not play like either of the two you want to enjoy, though, as the sleeve setup for the mouthpipe changes things pretty noticeably, IME.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think the Z horn is a medium bore (.445") and the other is ML .459") and that alone should be a big difference.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/bb-trumpets/#page=2
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford850 wrote:
I'm not sure but I think the Z horn is a medium bore (.445") and the other is ML .459") and that alone should be a big difference.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/bb-trumpets/#page=2

this is true, but my understanding is that they are pretty much the same horn except for the leadpipes and tuning slides.

camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Shofarguy.

You might be able to make a set up for both leadpipes and tuningslides. But you might end up with a trumpet you seriously dislike.

So if you really like both trumpets, it's better to save your money for the other one as well.

Or, go talk to Bob Malone. As he is Yamaha's design hero
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zack...

how are you doing after a couple months on the lead book in your jazz band?? I remember you from the Minor Booze audition.

How's it going?
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
zack...

how are you doing after a couple months on the lead book in your jazz band?? I remember you from the Minor Booze audition.

How's it going?

quite well, thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: