• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

interpreting horn recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalArmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: interpreting horn recommendations Reply with quote

I used to place a lot of stock in horn recommendations that I read on the Internet.
But experience eventually taught me to look closer at those instrument recommendations.

One person once wrote that one instrument was the best ever made by any company, so I bought such an instrument from eBay, but I was only mildly satisfied. I later learned that the person making the recommendation was an amateur whose range was so limited that he never played above the staff, his arthritis was so bad that he couldn't play fast, and his playing experience did not include many great instruments. I still greatly appreciate his online instrument reviews because they lead me to try instruments that I might otherwise never have heard of or tried, so I hope he continues making such instrument recommendations, but now I do not give his recommendations quite as much weight as I used to.

Even if the person making the instrument recommendation were the great Bill Chase, I would greatly appreciate his recommendation and I would check out his recommended instruments, but I would put only limited weight in his recommendations, too. Because Bill Chase played loud jazz/rock, while I play soft Christian music. And I have a completely different embouchure type than Bill Chase had, so that I need a different bore size to compensate. And, while Bill Chase played faster than poop through a goose, I never play anything that is faster than a snail's pace.

I can learn much from reading the instrument reviews from all players, both amateur and professional players, both new players and long-time players.
I should not blindly discount some player's review just because he is an amateur, and I should not blindly accept some player's review just because he is a professional.
Instead, I should put limited weight in reviews from all people, knowing that all their opinions are valid within context, but their physical needs and tone needs and range needs and speed needs are not necessarily the same as my needs. So every person will legitimately have a different "best instrument" recommendation.

I realize that my post is just Common Sense 101 to most players, but I hope that it helps new players young and old who are beginning their Instrument Safaris.

Sal

Olds Ambassador Tenor Horn
Wick 5 and Olds 44 Tenor Horn mouthpieces
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precis!
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wealth of well intentioned and sometimes helpful information provided here. Most of it subjective and demanding interpretation.

Some of the best advice I've read on TH is: to listen closely, work with professionals, try it for yourself, the problem is rarely the horn in your hand - but the one in your head causing the problem. Things gone awry are usually pretty small and needing only a minor adustment. Through the well intentioned magnifying glass of a public forum, problems take on a whole new signficance.

There is a cottage industry ready to cater to the desires, phobeas and whims of the trumpet playing community. Knowing what we need and being objective of the advice we receive is a $anity saving measure.

Last edited by oliver king on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #1 challenge in writing a proper review, IMO, is providing a context for interpretation. As you mentioned, the reviewer's status as amateur or professional is a start, but really is only a "subtitle" to other elements that make up the writer's perspective.

Knowing one's own style, perspective and limitations and how they relate to others' is an inner journey at least as fascinating (to me) as that of learning the instrument.

Measuring subjective differences, finding clues to the whys and hows and then communicating them effectively to the audience at hand, knowing that one's perspective is limited and constantly changing, is an exercise for the literary fanatic, or maniac! It takes one to know one, and I happen to love reviewing instruments.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver King expressed the subject very accurately!!! I agree with every word of his message.

Bob
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: interpreting horn recommendations Reply with quote

I have had good luck figuring out what to try by researching on the internet, both here on TH and elsewhere. Obviously you have to be thorough and consider the source. Some horns are hyped by a few adherents and not a lot of other people. After a while, often a consensus develops among posters. In addition to "this is a great horn" I like to look for info about whether the horn is bright or dark, etc. Youtube is a good resource, too.

Horns are so different, even in one brand and model, one just has to try them to actually know what's what. But I guess all this is just restating the obvious.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, IMO, it's a lot like reading reviews on new and used cars.

Probably the only absolute is that there are no absolutes, all is a matter of opinion, and of course, you must consider the source, if you can find out who the source is. Even if the source is highly credible, that doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to duplicate that experience for yourself.

Further, in reading all kinds of reviews about all kinds of products, I have also concluded that many people will complain about anything, no matter what it is.

In the end, you must make you own choices and decisions. It certainly doesn't hurt to look at reviews and recommendations, but they are ultimately simply someone's opinion.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Great Thread! Reply with quote

What a great thread! I am a comebacker now four months into my renewed commitment to the trumpet and cornet. I started my comeback effort by using what I had laying around: a 61 year old Blessing Standard trumpet and a somewhat newer Holton Collegiate cornet. Quite frankly, these should have been adequate for me for some time. But it is easy to succumb to temptation when it comes to trumpets and trumpet playing, and I soon found myself with a new low-pro/high-intermediate trumpet, according to the way in which I discerned TH consensus. I believe I made a good choice and am enjoying my new horn a great deal. And I appreciate what I learned from fellow TH'ers!
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give opinions. And, rather blunt ones, at that.

I don't "tap dance" around, with cutesy, politically correct, crap.

I DO strive for accuracy, however. I "call a spade a spade". I either have a subject horn in-hand; or have owned several examples, and have vivid impressions ... still strong enough to elucidate on the merits or failings of a horn.

I don't buy-into the hype, either. Some horns (and gear) just don't cut it, any longer, despite their reputation. Relics ... best left for posterity, or a wall-hanger.

I also understand that what may work for someone else, does NOT work for me. I will give the benefit of doubt.

Just because 'so-and-so' (fill-in name of jazz artist, or "flavor-of-the-month" guy) played a certain horn model, does not carry ANY weight for me.

There are many here that ... for lack of a better word ... are "ANAL" with the minutia associated with the technical aspects of a horn, or the acoustical experience or impression for a very narrow application.

I look at any horn as a "clean sheet of paper". And, from which I endeavor to learn its capabilities, and its limitations or flaws.

I used to work in the construction business. I worked with forensic engineers. We tried to learn why structures failed. We were "trouble-shooters". Why a bridge collapsed, for example.

I use the concept of "forensics" sometimes in evaluating a horn. Sometimes, horns really work well, that technically might seem to be a dead-end, or so bizarre, they should not work at all.

I wish I could be paid for this. On-the-other-hand, no one would want to pay me.

~ r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have wide experience playing a lot of horns but going to Chicago Trumpet Hangs has shown me that some very well thought of horns just don't work for me... and some do!

My only purpose in promoting Buescher is to overcome the reputation they gained for being "student horn junk". While, like any horn, they don't work for everyone, when you stumble across one, they don't cost as much as some and they merit a look.

Careful analysis of my postings should bear that out.

(This Holton 48 Deluxe is a horn I like a lot too.)

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: interpreting horn recommendations Reply with quote

SalArmy wrote:

One person once wrote that one instrument was the best ever made by any company, so I bought such an instrument from eBay, but I was only mildly satisfied. I later learned that the person making the recommendation was an amateur whose range was so limited that he never played above the staff, his arthritis was so bad that he couldn't play fast, and his playing experience did not include many great instruments. I still greatly appreciate his online instrument reviews because they lead me to try instruments that I might otherwise never have heard of or tried, so I hope he continues making such instrument recommendations, but now I do not give his recommendations quite as much weight as I used to.

Horn recommendations are opinions, and like tastes opinions are very personal and subjective!

Otherwise someone may have a very good knowledge about trumpets along with limited skills when playing them. But if he knows what he's talking about, who cares?

Debating about horns is the real finality of a forum like TH, right?

Bb Trumpets: Courtois volution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagu (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main drawback to horn reviews, in my opinion, is the inadequacy of language (especially written, as opposed to spoken) to convey the mysterious physical sensations involved with playing the trumpet. This would be enough if everyone really knew what they were listening and feeling for in a trumpet when reviewing - but they don't! Reviews mean little.

The best reviews, I believe, compare the qualities of one piece of equipment to another. This gives a much more universal context for any statement, and makes the language much easier to decipher if one has played one of the horns/mouthpieces/whatever in question.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interpreting horn recommendations:

1) get the opinion of respected horn teachers;
2) read the horn literature;
3) frequent the horn websites;
4) learn the horn language;
5) ask your horn(s) what would they recommend.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Interpreting horn recommendations:

1) get the opinion of respected horn teachers;
2) read the horn literature;
3) frequent the horn websites;
4) learn the horn language;
5) ask your horn(s) what would they recommend.

I DO NOT agree with you on your #1. I would not even have a teacher on my list. Maybe ... # 20 ?

Your opinion .... And, my opinion.

~ r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: interpreting horn recommendations Reply with quote

SalArmy wrote:
I used to place a lot of stock in horn recommendations that I read on the Internet.
But experience eventually taught me to look closer at those instrument recommendations.

Even if the person making the instrument recommendation were the great Bill Chase, I would greatly appreciate his recommendation and I would check out his recommended instruments, but I would put only limited weight in his recommendations, too. Because Bill Chase played loud jazz/rock, while I play soft Christian music. And I have a completely different embouchure type than Bill Chase had, so that I need a different bore size to compensate. And, while Bill Chase played faster than poop through a goose, I never play anything that is faster than a snail's pace.

I can learn much from reading the instrument reviews from all players, both amateur and professional players, both new players and long-time players.
I should not blindly discount some player's review just because he is an amateur, and I should not blindly accept some player's review just because he is a professional.
Instead, I should put limited weight in reviews from all people, knowing that all their opinions are valid within context, but their physical needs and tone needs and range needs and speed needs are not necessarily the same as my needs. So every person will legitimately have a different "best instrument" recommendation.

I realize that my post is just Common Sense 101 to most players, but I hope that it helps new players young and old who are beginning their Instrument Safaris.

Sal

Your post is just a tad puzeling to me. If you're going to purchase a trumpet (or any significant purchase) based on the reccomendation of just one person who thinks that product is the best thing since sliced bread, then what can I or anyone say. You may have made a hasty decision?

However, if you really spend some quality research time on the Internet reading what a plurality of players say about a given trumpet, then, I think a picture of that particular instrument begins to come into focus. Naturally, everyone is not going to agree on everything all the time, but, let's face it, there's a reason that certain trumpets are apparently more desireable / collectable than others.

I have found that Internet research is the number one way to scope-in on the top trumpets and then, it mostly a matter of deciding what best fits your playing style or needs.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us end up playing Bach 37 variants. Boutique horns are often described as "like a Bach but more sound,", "like a Bach on steroids,"etc.

Wouldn't it be great if Bach started making horns that sounded like a Bach on steroids?
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Most of us end up playing Bach 37 variants. Boutique horns are often described as "like a Bach but more sound,", "like a Bach on steroids,"etc.

Wouldn't it be great if Bach started making horns that sounded like a Bach on steroids?

It's called the New York 7, or 180S77.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't "tap dance" around, with cutesy, politically correct, crap.

In reading the many reviews here in the TH forum I don't believe I have ever read a horn review where the poster was not sincere and honest in their impressions. Sometimes things may go unsaid, but you can easily tell what is meant.

Of course you have to read between the lines and understand where the reviewer is coming from. That is why I prefer the poster tell us something about themselves in their profile. This does not add to or take away from the validity of the poster's opinions, it just helps the reader understand where the poster is coming from.

I do believe a good trumpet teacher can have valid recommendations, especially of course, if they are your teacher. A good teacher may be more understanding of finding equipment that suits your skills than a performer who may come from a position of what works for them and their style of playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: