• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb or C Professional Grade Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Trumpet
Bb Trumpet
88%
 88%  [ 44 ]
C Trumpet
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Bb/C combination
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a

-iiii-(

in Bb/A.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Mase wrote:
crzytptman wrote:

You need a good trumpet.
Either a Bach or Kanstul equivalent with bore correction and PVA, or a Flip Oakes Celebration. There are others you could get by with, but not the one you have.

Can you guys stop trying to sell Flip's horns in almost every reply within a thread? How much money is he paying you to do this?

Nothing against Flip's horns, but it's almost like clockwork that a few of you do this.

The honest answer, Jeff is, "No, we can't." It's because we've sat with Flip in his shop and eaten with him at his table. He's always given us more than we could pay for and his horns are more than we could have hoped for. We want him to succeed through these tough times, because we genuinely love the man and his products.

No one is getting paid for promoting his products. Just as none you guys get paid to promote the 37s, 229/25hs, Summits or Shires. You are probably right that we turn some people off before they ever try Flip's horns, but I could show you numerous pages of PM conversations with many players that ask my opinion and advice concerning them. Many use the Private Message to avoid the criticism they fear will come if they ask on the public forum.

So, change the channel, get up from your couch and go get a beer, if you don't like the commercial. We all know that repetitive exposure to a product never results in increased sales.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bb or C Professional Grade Trumpet Reply with quote

-iii-( wrote:
No disrespect meant but, How do you spend time on a C trumpet unless you have one? (Just wondering...)

You have a teacher (the one you refer to as Teacher B) who advocates that you buy a C trumpet. He feels strongly about this and has made this recommendation to other students. Should you decide to follow his advice, he should be the one to navigate you through the minefield that is the experience of buying a first C trumpet. One would expect that he doesn't want to leave a trail of students with poorly selected trumpets.

And by the way, it might be a good idea to seek out any current or former students who have followed his advice, to see how they feel about it.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andybharms wrote:
Quote:
The timbre may be an issue in a professional setting, but not so much in a college.

Why wouldn't you want to sound like a professional in college? Is it not training to be a professional? Not everybody parties on his/her parents' dime...

Bravo Andy. This immediately raised a red flag with me too. College is for obtaining the skills and sound for a professional career. Why bother playing any instrument that works against you? Why waste your time and money only to do it again in a few years? Learning the trumpet is difficult enough with the best gear in the world, Wild Things, Bachs, Yamahas, Shires, Monettes, or otherwise.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bb or C Professional Grade Trumpet Reply with quote

hup_d_dup wrote:
-iii-( wrote:
No disrespect meant but, How do you spend time on a C trumpet unless you have one? (Just wondering...)

You have a teacher (the one you refer to as Teacher B) who advocates that you buy a C trumpet. He feels strongly about this and has made this recommendation to other students. Should you decide to follow his advice, he should be the one to navigate you through the minefield that is the experience of buying a first C trumpet. One would expect that he doesn't want to leave a trail of students with poorly selected trumpets.

And by the way, it might be a good idea to seek out any current or former students who have followed his advice, to see how they feel about it.

So many issues here..as soon as you open it up to a forum you get confused.

It sounds like the "monthly" teacher B taught the "weekly" teacher C how to play. Teacher C was encouraged by teacher B to get a C trumpet but teacher C is saying get a Bb......nuff said. Get a pro Bb and tell teacher B that while you respect his thoughts you want to try a better Bb first. There are many good reasons laid out here ..I would bat for Bb is the most practical horn at this stage on a limited budget...

Walter
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bb or C Professional Grade Trumpet Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
Teacher C was encouraged by teacher B to get a C trumpet but teacher C is saying get a Bb......nuff said.

Touché. I thought I had read the OP's posts very carefully but this obvious point slipped by me.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect...

If you're not yet in college and plan on playing there when you get there, you MUST have a Bb. Unless you're going to Podunk U where there are only 3 trumpet players that can actually play, you're gonna be in band... at least for awhile. In the bigger universities the undergrads often have to compete with the grad students for orchestral positions.

Get a Bb ... and IF you are a music major and IF you get into orchestra, then tap your parents for a C trumpet.

One more thing... In all the years I've played, I have only owned ONE *new* never-been-used trumpet. If cared for trumpets can last forever. With a little luck you can find a great used Bb and save your parents some cash and have some leverage when its time to pick up that C trumpet. "But look mom, I saved you $1000 on my Bb because I was willing to get a used one". They'll be soft and vulnerable <G>.

Good luck!
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
-iii-(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official Im getting a pro-level Bb Bach Strad next week.
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I now see how foolish getting a C at my level would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: