• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to control brass tarnishing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell,

Thank you for the information your trumpets.

My annealing summary was a baited comment directed toward a previous poster. I am very familiar and experienced in trumpet bell annealing technics and methods.

90% of the trumpets in my shop are vintage hybrids with experimental custom leadpipes. I anneal the bells on all my trumpets.

All my hybrids have bells braced to solid brass machined leadpipes. I have used uniform controlled annealing..however for the set-ups that I build now I use torch annealing to a variable and progressive range of color, done in a dark room with the bell rim sitting a water bath..then I cold work the bell back to a specific free-air resonance.

This is in some ways similar to the method used by Eldon Benge on the Chicago built horns with the original "Hand-Tempered" and "Resno-Tempered" logos. I can not speak for the L.A. Benges, etc. The UMI made Benge "clones" offered a resonance tempered bell, or an annealed bell, and that may have the options available on the California Benges at some point in time.
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I finally decided to let the horn naturally tarnish with time: I only attenuate some grey marks sometimes with white vinegar (maybe once a week, or less), and I've cleaned valve caps and finger buttons with 3M Tarni Shield (which is a very good product somewhat abrasive, but when used softly it's not really harmful for a brushed finish), and then I've put on these parts a thin layer of Renaissance Wax...

And here's how looks now my 5 weeks old HT3:

You know what? I really like it!

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
ernieo2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Tarnish bag Reply with quote

I have had good luck with the Bach anti-tarnish bags. They are only about $20 and work great. I have no affiliation with this site, but you can order one here:
http://band-orchestra.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bach-TarnishPreventive-Bag?sku=420840
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: