• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking the lead chair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K now I've gone and done it. I have practiced, found the right horn and mouthpiece and have improved over previous efforts. For the first time in my life I am playing lead in our wind ensemble group. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I can't hide anymore in the section! I have two questions:
1. Practice suggestions.
2. Stories about how improvement created new opportunities and unexpected results for other players on the forum.
Thanks from a come back player discovering new territory.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite story from high school. I was playing third trumpet in the concert band and new I was better than the guy playing first.
In my school(I'll bet alot of schools), you are allowed to challenge for a chair.

Basically you and your opponent are given the same piece of music to practice for a couple of days and play.
You both play the piece for the teacher(who acts as an impartial judge) and he decides who has done the best job.

I won! Now the best part of the story is not that I won. The best part is, I RECOGNIZED THE OPPORTUNITY that the current 1st trumpet player was not practicing and playing well and resting on his laurels(I call it catching him with his pants down). I knew he wouldnt practice. I practiced my ass off. I have taken that principal in to my adult business work life and have made alot of money catching my competitors with their pants down.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....play melodic/tuneful studies up an octave but well within your capacity,with plenty of rest. Don't just play a load of exercises from a chop book!!!

Lots of tips/trix....

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC

Yours Roddy o-iii<O
Calvary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that playing lead required more than just good sound and ability. It requires a "lead" mentality. You must have the confidence to lead the section. The lead trumpet player must have confidence in when to come in, how to play the passage, and what volume levels. The section will feed off of your level of confidence. It's not easy, but you will be a better player after you have had your share of "learning experiences".

Of course, that means you must know the music better than anyone, and try not to miss any rehearsals.

Tim
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy playing the lead part is fun. I would like to say first that I also feel that if you're going to play lead part you should have a little bit of confidence.

Ok. Know for playing lead I have found that having a good tone is so important. That is why I am always trying to improve my tone. Then after that all the other stuff come. Endurance, techniche and range. When playing lead you have to be as musical as possible. Reason is because first of all you are probably going to heard the most. You have to do a good job in trying to interpret the music as good as possible.

So everyday i would practice for endurance, tone, techniche. Then I would also take sometime in playing around with some music so you can learn and get use to playing more musicallly, and lyrically and all that other stuff.

All these things I have done and have worked for me threw all my years in playing lead. Its only been a couple but they have worked so far. I remeber the first time I played lead in a real band was in 7th grade. Boy I sucked. But then in 8th grade I improved so much and had so much more experience. Everyone was so amazed by my range, and tone and techniqe. The teachers always tell me that whenever they hear me play that it seems like as if I am constantly improving. And actually I am. The smallest things I try to work hard on. And trying to improve all the time is what still got me playing lead in high school and is what also has got me to be able to play with better musicians.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated by jgadvert, don't rest on your laurels. Remember, someone may challenge you. Practice hard to keep what you have and to advance even further.
The tone, true, is so important.
There really is a confident attitude needed for lead status. Enjoy!

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oldster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..in my preretirement days I used to play the ice shows and circuses when they came to town .. The Barnum conductor, whom many of you will remember (name escapes me) was an older gentleman who played the cornet and knew everyone's part .. if the 2d trombone was having problems, the conductor would point the cornet at him and play the bone passage without missing a beat .. anyway, we had a 'confident' lead player who actually sent a sub to the first day rehearsal and then showed up and played the show .. talk about lead mentality .. those road maps were as tough as the music itself ..I think all lead trumpet players are all a little weird
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr.Oldster.....I for one would be delighted to hear more of your experiences of the Ice Shows / Circus work.

I nearly had a job in a Circus band once but got sent on a Cruise and then into Theatre work after. I always fancied giving the Circus thing a go as I believe it's a good work out!!!

Regards

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice your music, not just notes and such but also interpretation. Then play with the attitude "I don't care what's coming out of their horns, I'm right, I'm the subject matter expert, If I don't play it right and do my job this piece will sink. Follow me, I'm leading the way. I'm yer daddy." Marry that with an ever-so-small amount of tolerance and humility for the highly unlikely chance that you may make a mistake someday, and you'll do fine.
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing lead in your section in a wind ensemble is important as well as prestigious. A wind ensemble is literally half, if not less the size of the full school band. The parts are usually harder and require you to be up on things. Seize the position and make the music yours! Lead the section musically as well as technically. My son just auditioned for the lead chair in his high school wind ensemble for next year and got it. The ensemble has won various awards in the area and my son knows what he's got to do. He'll only be a Sophomore in a lead position so it's a little pressure for him. However, it will help him psychologically and musically if he continues with it in college and into the business world. Good luck and don't look back!

P.S. Sorry! I didn't realize that this wasn't a school wind ensemble!(I don't think?) My mistake! But some of the thoughts still hold true!

"May the good sound be yours!"

[ This Message was edited by: OCTA-C on 2002-05-25 09:54 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: