• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which one??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one is better?
Rafael Mendez's (On his video skip to about 2:20)
82%
 82%  [ 23 ]
Sergei Nakariakov
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 28

drncollazo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Rafael Mendez do it??
My goodness, it almost sounds like someone sped up the recording to make him sound faster and crisper. Incredible. He has my vote everytime I compare his performance to others.
Perhaps it is true that we should not be attempting to find the best interpretation of any musical pieces amongst these virtuosos, but one cannot help to notice the difference. Rafael is in a class by himself.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Don't get me wrong... I love TH, but there is something that really bothers me about the cats here.

All of you want to give the "most appropriate" and "least offensive" answer. Yes, perhaps it's true that this isn't the olympics, or that they are both artists. But this guy wasn't asking Which one is better?, he was asking Which one do you like better? (although technically he just said "which one?").

Try reading again Scorp. He actually did ask "which one is better". Had he asked which one we all "liked" better, then yes, that would be different.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
...But this guy wasn't asking [b]Which one is better?...

You mean except for the title where he asks "Which one is better".

This high-and-mighty, lying, condescending, Jive Turkey will now take his stuffed shirt and get back to work.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case i missed the question on the poll. But my point still stands, and remains valid.

I don't take well to threats or umbrellas. You've been warned.
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Andre but, really, his version of Hora Staccato is largely slurred. It flows nicely but it's not staccato and he plays the same expedient (not correct) notes as does Mendez.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find any expedient notes in Nakariakov's or his professor (Timofei Dokshizer's) renditions.
dennett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Which one?? Reply with quote

What do you mean, "which one"? They are both tremendous, and since they are different human beings they will have their own approach and sound.

I can't stand A vs B musical comparisons, I have never figured out what purpose they serve. Music is an art form, not a Motor Trend comparison between two cars.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which one?? Reply with quote

dennett wrote:
I can't stand A vs B musical comparisons, I have never figured out what purpose they serve. Music is an art form, not a Motor Trend comparison between two cars.

What, I don't agree. We listen to various performers and have our opinons on which is better pretty much all the time. The "purpose" it serves is simply that it stimulates discussion of the art form. Otherwise I guess we can all sit around and never express our preferences and thereby never have a conversation about why we might like one rendition better than another. Discussion of the effectiveness of different performances, different renditions of the art form, is often the subject of learned discussion (otherwise known as fights). In this case, I happen to prefer Mendez because I think he captured the essense of the piece with greater clarity and emotion as compared to anyone else, with Dokshizer a close second, and everyone else not really doing anything for me.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Don't get me wrong... I love TH, but there is something that really bothers me about the cats here.

Scorp that was great!

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no mention of Hardenberger's arrangement/performance of it? Look, I like most of the recordings of this piece I've heard, whether they feature violin, flute, trumpet, or something else. But if Mendez hadn't done such a fine job of it, and popularized it as a trumpet showpiece, how many of the trumpet recordings of it do you think we'd have to enjoy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: