• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet mouthpiece??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have a WT cornet to go along with my WT trumpet but I may have to go to the other extreme and pick up an Olds Ambassdor for starters.

From the little I have read, it seems the mouthpiece one chooses for a cornet is very important.... the wrong choice may cause you to sound trumpet like.

Trumpet mouthpieces I currently use are: Claude Gordon Personal (CGP) V cup, Schilke 14B opened up to about a #20, and Schilke 17D4D opened up.

What are some of the best choices (brands and model #) to get that rich, dark cornet sound.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Curry 1.5VC on my Olds Recording (odd-sized receiver) and a Wick 2 on my Olds Ambassador. I'm very happy with the results.

The Sparx mouthpiece was also highly recommended to me when I was shopping for a mouthpiece for the Ambassador, but I had established the criterion that I didn't want to spend more on the mouthpiece than I did on the horn. I'm not sure if one can get a Sparx for the old-style Olds receivers.

BTW, some hack asked this question a while back, this is the post is on which I based my decisions on what to try:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=8946&forum=8

HTH,
Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I am playing cornet exclusively for any length of time I have a tendency to revert to my Denis Wick 4B.
I usually play on my Warburton 1D, haven't had any complaints yet!
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Great CD by the way! I'll send you an email to chat with you about it. I love hearing all of us players on TH!

I use two mouthpieces on my Olds Opera Cornet.

I use a Bach 3C when I want a little edge, since my opera is a .468 bore horn the 3C works nicely to darken it up.

When I want an amazingly dark sound I put in my Curry 1 1/4DC (deep Cornet) mouthpiece. With this mouthpiece my cornet is actually darker than my Olds CT flugel!

It's such a great sound I consider playing the cornet all the time. If it only played as well as my Bb I'd definitely do it!

Best,

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on smaller pieces with a SC embouchure, currently 10-1/2C on trumpet. On cornet I use a Flip Oaks WT 10-1/2 deep V classic. The WT is much deeper in tone than a Bach cornet piece.

When I started playing on the WT piece my wife thought I had a new flugel. I explained I only bought a mouthpiece and not another horn, yet.

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2003-10-13 17:38 ]
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Curry mpc sounds like a nice one.... I'll keep that in mind, Trent. Glad you got the CD ... it's nothing special but fun to do and listen to.

Well, I don't think I would be too concerned about high range... I have never played a cornet... but it just seems like high stuff wouldn't fit with my idea of what I would want to do with cornet... so I'm guessing the deeper the better for that dark sound??

I think I can handle a fairly large mouthpiece... and at one time I did play Flip's BIG FO mpc... and I was able to adapt to it pretty well, but for me it actually gave me kind of a bright sound for as big as it was...I never quite figured that one out. A friend here in town has an Olds Ambassador that I know he would let me try... but I don't think he has anything special in the way of a mpc for it ... so I may try to round up a good mpc before I try his horn.
chops

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to be stickin my big ole oar into this forum a lot methinks.... i got a sparx 3 and am mad about it.. has a wonderful sound, and makes intonation a lot better. deffo recommend it. not only because the rim sizes are based on Bach..
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Sparx #4 that I sold some time back. Now I'm sorry I did. Best cornet mouthpiece I've had.
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot praise sparx mouthpieces enough. I play a 2B, and shall soon be purchasing a deeper mouthpiece for different colours of sound.
Easy to play, easy to get a great sound, easy to switch between trumpet and cornet. blends very well with a section too. this is the best cornet mouthpiece i've ever played in my life.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like trumpetmike, I recommend the Wick 4B. I played a standard Bach mpc on my Bach cornet for many many years but after trying a Wick a year or so ago, I'm hooked. It will totally change your approach (tonally, etc.) to the cornet. It's bowl-shaped (not V-shaped like some traditional cornet mpcs) and has a very large throat in it - a really big hole. A nice, warm, sonorous tone.

Dave M
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wick mouthpiecies are very good as well. I find their numbering system a little confusing. The #4 is 16.75mm as is the 4B, but the 4W is 16.4mm. The 4BW goes back to 16.75mm. Then you get into the RW series. The RW4 and RW4B are both 16.5mm. To get a 16.75mm diameter in the RW, you need to go to a RW3. A little hard to keep track of. I haven't qiute figure out the difference between the regular Wick and the RW, except the RW is a little cheaper.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to mention the Wick 4 1/2.
I'd never noticed it's existance, but I forgot my Wick 4 one friday and had to get something to practice on that weekend away, so I went to Rayburns and found a 4 1/2 to be really interesting. It's just like a 4 but with a smaller throat and back bore. It plays fab, a little brighter than the 4, but with the same free blow. It put my Wick 4B out of business.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Wick cornet mouthpieces. I have the 4 and the 4B. In fact, I use them for my Martin Imperial flugelhorn, which can only take a cornet mouthpiece. They are great mouthpieces!

Janell Carter
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Scott Laskey SB (shallow B) cup. Warm sound, very easy to play.

romey
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed using Warburton mouthpieces for several years. My introduction to through a flugel horn piece (a 3fxl). I picked up a 3xd trumpet piece some years later. I am into my first cornet now and am playing a 3bc. Each piece is 'v' shaped. I've each of them opened up to a 24 throat and all are *8 backbores. I've found them to be great products that offer great flexibility (tops and bottoms are interchangable). Warburton has a pretty wide selection of tops and bottoms, there is something there for every style of playing.
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo a vote for a Wick 2 mouthpiece (on an Olds Special).
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Wick RW4 to a Sparx #4. Intonation is fantastic, tone didn't change, endurance improved dramatically. Just one person's experience.

Getzen Eterna 800 LB (Sparx #4)
Jupiter 846L (Jupiter #7)

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2003-10-14 19:40 ]
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wick 3, Curry VC1 1/2, and Yamaha Short Shank 13e4 (all V cups). Of those three I play the Yamaha the most.

I have a Schilke 17d4 that matches my trumpet mouthpiece for when I want to use the cornet but blend with a trumpet section.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I timed this perfectly. I just bought my first cornet Saturday and now there is a cornet/flugel forum, too cool. Also one of the first postings is about mouthpieces for the cornet which was my first question.

Guess I better start looking for my first flugelhorn now.

Thanks guys

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on Denis Wick cornet mouthpieces for over 20 years. I finally swithed over to a Sparx 4 and I never look back to a DW mouthpiece.

The DW mouthpiece has a very soft bite. The inner rim is very round and therefore can make your lips tiered very quickly.

The Sparx has a nice medium bite, which is much easier to play and also will provide more endurance.

Tone is super, intonation is much better than DW and the sound is more focused, but still very cornet like.

I sold all my DW mouthpieces and never will look back at them.
'02 Benge Piccolo Trumpet Blackburn pipe w/Haefner 7H*P
I mainly play British Brass and Classical Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: