• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who Are the Leaders Today?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:58 pm    Post subject: Who Are the Leaders Today? Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the concert I saw with Michael Brecker, Herbie Hancock, John Patitucci and Brian Blade, I think Roy Hargrove is very cool.
When I saw his band two years ago, I was blown away. His style may not be as unique as Dave Douglas but his playing and writing are awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it seems like we're talking about mostly jazz musicians. I think that that is a little easier to see than some of the other fields and styles. I think we should restrict oursevlves to people who are actively playing today (young or old), although great teachers are leaders as well in a different way. Here's my list (and I reserve the right to edit as I think of others):

Kenny Wheeler
Dave Douglas
Herb Robertson
Tom Harrell
Eddie Henderson
Leo Smith
Tim Hagans
Scott Wendholt
Jim Rotondi
Ingrid Jensen
Nicholas Payton
Rob Mazurek
Chris Botti (Instrumental pop-not jazz)
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:36 am; edited 7 times in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McNeil is one of my best friends in this world and a former teacher of mine as well. He is a brilliant improviser. He has overcome major physical and health challenges; he has had to start from scratch and relearn to play the trumpet several times as an adult. He has worked within those physical limitations to become a sort of post-bop Chet Baker. He's a major creator and poet of the music, albeit within a minimalist approach.

Dave Douglas considers John to be his main teacher and the years Douglas worked with McNeil at NEC were the years his playing turned around. I think he is one of the greatest of all jazz improv instructors.

I hear that he and Laurie Frink are collaborating on a trumpet book that combines the Caruso approach to clinical practice with the kinds of harmonic and intervallic techniques modern jazz musicians use. I can't wait!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2001-12-29 19:17 ]
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add

Terrell Blanchard
Brian Lynch
Carl Saunders (Lead & Improvisation)
Vaughn Nark (Lead & Improvisation)
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

In my opinion, I don't think it is really fair to criticize anyone for not being innovative. What else could anyone do? It's all been done, and if it hasn't, chances are I wouldn't want to hear it anyway.

That doesn't mean there isn't anyone worth listening to, however. Many people seem to believe that unless your doing something totally new and different, it isn't important, and I don't agree. I think the best example that comes to my mind would be Tom Harrell. Tom is one of most creative composers in jazz today. Although his writing isn't necessarily innovative, it's very unique and interesting.

The problem I have with many of the players today isn't that they're not innovaters, but they're not good song writers. As a result, their CD's are rather forgetable because there's nothing interesting to listen to. That's one reason why players such as Lee Morgan, Brownie, Dizzy, Woody Shaw, Kenny Dorham, Miles, Hubbard, etc. will stand the test of time; they were more than just trumpeters, they were complete musicians.

[ This Message was edited by: brenter on 2002-01-01 10:46 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very glad to see that Dave Douglas is being discussed. He's the modern Mr. Trumpet to me...
Kennie Wheeler's Gnu High (1976 ECM) is like going to the cathedral of Flugelhorn. Keith Jarrett, Jack DeJohnette and Dave Holland, side men. Wow.
I would like to add two other names to this discussion which haven't been mentioned much to my surprise.
The late, great, and sainted Lester Bowie is the 1st.
The other, still alive, is Jon Hassell.
Both of these guys transformed the trumpet into something never heard before. They both went beyond any western method and created a Voice using half-valve glissandi and great flexability. Bowie was "hot," and was so flexable he could say words with his horn. A fat tone with a lazer-like center. Jon Hassell studied Indian classical singing, and applies that technique to trumpet. His sounds like he uses no pressure at all, (a bit like Chet) and it seems like he can gliss from any note to any note without the listener being conscious of valves being used. The most "vocal" sounding trumpeter I have ever heard, it sounds totally natural.

While Lester Bowie's discography is well known, (Art Ensemble of Chicago & Brass Fantacy etc.) for those interested in Jon Hassell, I recommend "Fasinoma" on Water Lily Acoustics. Much of it is just acoustic duets with bansari flute (Indian) or piano. If you've never heard him, you'll be amazed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: