• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

monette bl,bl2,b4lvs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustin Lee Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently play a bach 3f for lead /scream stuff...but im looking for a mouthpiece with less bite and possibly same depth or just barely deeper? Of the mouthpieces listed which do you think would be my best bet?

dustin
John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would visit the GR Tech Mpc website, http://www.grmouthpieces.com There is a mpc survey with some questions you can answer. Gary Ratke, and Brian Scriver will be more than glad to steer you in the right direction. More than likely he may suggest the GR 65MS, which is slightly narrower than your 3F, but after acclimating yourself to that mpc...I believe you will fall in love with it. The sound is just outstanding. I currently use a Primal 62, GR Tech mpc made for Brian Scriver. These mpc are next best thing, besides sliced bread!!! Give them a hollar...you'll be glad you did!!!

John "Just Screamin'" Miconi
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a monette mouthpiece you're looking for, I would suggest the B5L. It's just slightly wider and a cupsize deeper than your current piece. Good luck on your search!

Mike
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A B4LVS is somewhere between a bach 1.5 and a 2. The cup is shallow, very shallow most people who try mine bottom first thing. I do recommend tring it though, just experiment.
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Monette, the B4LVS is closer to a 3 rim. If you want to stay with about the same rim, I would go for the B4LVS or the B5L. I currently play the B5L and have used the BL2 in the past with wonderful results. It's a truly fine lead piece. About two years ago I did a series of concerts in Europe of the Duke Ellington Sacred Music playing Cat Anderson's book. You can imagine the demands put on the lead player. I used the BL2 with tremendous success for these concerts.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try the plain B4L. A friend of mine uses that and it's a great piece. It makes high register playing much easier and I think it is similar to a 3c.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go look at the Monette site or refer to the handbook you'll notice they compare it to an old 3D. "Back in the day" the Bach?s were a lot bigger than the current Bach?s. In the current day and age a Monette 4 rim is actually comparable to a Bach 1.5. The B4LVS is a tiny, tiny bit smaller in rim diameter than a B4L. I would recommend you try the B4L also. I used that before I switched to a B4LVS and they both scream.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-22 16:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: