• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton Anchor Grip Tops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gphorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use a Warburton Anchor Grip Top? If you do, I'd be interested in what you think about them. Also, how long it took to get used to the feel of the rim. Thanks.
Gary
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have experienced the Warburton anchor grip top. For me, the good news was that it griped my lips. The bad news was that it griped my lips. Anyway, I moved on.
Larry Smithee
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4S in the anchor top. I'm really not sure who they were made for and I don't totally understand the description on the Warburton website. But I play it every once in a while for practice when I feel I'm using too much pressure. It feels like the cookie cutter vintage cornet mouthpieces to me. It sure tells me ("ouch!") when I'm pushing too hard.

David
trumpetmagic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3MD Anchor Grip and a standard 3SV. The difference is Anchor Grip has a a substantially thin (vertical thickness. Not a width of rim) rim compared with a standard rim thickness. It is like that of Curry vintage cornet mouthpiece.

This means Anchor Grip weights much less than a standard Warburton mouthpiece. Anchor grip is lighter than a standard top.

When I tried Anchor Grip, I felt less mouthpiece pressure. I felt the same with Curry vintage cornet mouthpiece.
But both Anchor Grip and standard top left the same amount of mouthpiece mark on my lips .

For some reason, the rim thickness affects how my lips feel. I do not have a logical explanation.

I tried both Anchor Grip and Curry vintage cornet mouthpiece. But I chose niether because they were too light for my preferences. I feel secure with a heavier MP.

If you are looking for a lighter mp, Anchor Grip may be the right one.

Anchor Grip may work for you. You would not know if it works for you until you try it.

I hope this helps.

Ken
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 3SV anchor grip mouthpiece with a Schilke AA backbore for lead. Don't actually use it that often, but it is a nice piece. I generally prefer the Schilke 4 rims.

[ This Message was edited by: pedaltonekid on 2002-02-08 23:41 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: