• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sergei Nakariakov

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past few years, I have been hearing a great deal of pretty amazing things about the new young genius of trumpet.
His website:
http://www.nakariakov.com
is pretty sketchy when it come to his travels and updates. I found the website has a really nice vidieo clip of his craft. For such a small "bod" he really pops the big articulate sounds. Notice how little effort he uses to play.
Simply astounding how at ease he appears in this clip!

From an old E mail...a few months ago, my contact at the Seattle Symphony said that they have received his music and scores for his upcoming Seattle gig this spring. (By the way...his solo on one score was written for violin...not trumpet, but hey-------- when you're SERGEI..why not challenge yourself?

Has anyone heard him in person? His recordings on the clips are pretty amazing. Hummmmmmmmmm????
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of him but I went to the site, I could not open the video but I did open the sound clips and I'll tell the kid can sure play. WOW !!!!

Regards,
Philip S.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have his No Limit CD... Astounding playing from this young (23) lad, with great technical ability, and range from pedals to the stratosphere. Wow! If I'd had a fraction of that ability, maybe I'd have stayed in music rather than straying to engineering...

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-01-22 16:31 ]
MightyDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an E mail from his Agent....
and he is here in Seattle on May 11th. with the Seattle Symphony.
I'd betta' get on the tickeeee bandwagon. I hear he sold out the house everywhere he goes.
brnt99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is humbling to hear him.As one of his reviewers wrote new trumpet players shouldnt listen to him or their liable to quit trumpet and pick up a differant instrument.As a relative newcomer I have a question. I read a lot of the importance of wind/breath etc etc/the Shew wedge etc. etc.big deep chest expanding breath etc etc and then i watch Nakariakov play and I dont see him breathing deep.So why the discrepancy. Am I confused on this concept of the deep breath.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-22 19:26, brnt99 wrote:
It is humbling to hear him.As one of his reviewers wrote new trumpet players shouldnt listen to him or their liable to quit trumpet and pick up a differant instrument.As a relative newcomer I have a question. I read a lot of the importance of wind/breath etc etc/the Shew wedge etc. etc.big deep chest expanding breath etc etc and then i watch Nakariakov play and I dont see him breathing deep.So why the discrepancy. Am I confused on this concept of the deep breath.

FIRST...HA! )) DON'T GO OUT IN THE BACK YARD, YET AND BURY YOUR BRASS-AXE!!
(though, we all know what you are saying)
About his breathing...yes.
Think about this for a minute...When we talk in conversation to each other, (you never see anyone...
TAKING HUGE AMOUNTS OF AIR IN..TO GET THE NECESSARYWORDS OUT??) WHY USE MORE THAN IS EVER NEEDED??? or sing or play a familar song...or in Sergei case.

First he is in great health...They say he has the lung capasity of a professional basketball player, although he is slight in frame, he is a lean and mean young... BREATHING MACHINE with a great set of chops.

Keep in mind, He knows his music so well...knows EXACTLY JUST HOW MUCH air he really needs, and doesn't seem to ever use more. (This is what a few local players have said that have seen him in performance. He just neve shows any stress..and seems to pace himself with perfection.

If fact, I know I will get bunches of flack from this...but when one uses toooooo much air, this causes a change in your body's chemistry and the blood can start feeding the extremities with no only oxygen but hormones and adrenilin and we start sweatin' huffin' and puffin and a vicious cyle starts to help even the biggest and best begin to unravel..

(WE DON'T NEED THAT)and besides... too much air intake, can lead to a rush of the "flight and fight syndrome" and this leads to stress and tention in your playing...
and of course the rest is history.

Our friend Charlie Schlueter, Boston Symp. has said this sooooo many times and we have all heard this sooooooo many times,

That when we over-breath and or worry about getting enough mooojo together and start worring about that high register C ending that is comin' up whether or not we just might miss it???
YEP! TRUST THE OLD UNMIGHTY DON...UHH!~ I JUST CRACKED THE !@#$ OUT OF IT...RIGHT????
Everyone in the trumpet section of the Seattle Symphony as well as the rest of us...are looking forward to seeing this new young man.

I just hope he is not being used as a tool and a money pit and fear that those around him (on the outside looking in) are doing this young man a favor??? Being so GREAT AND SOOO YOUNG...he needs to stay Focused and challenged...and to be allowed free rein to grow and mature. His playing is definately mature and in class of its own.

Care has to be taken at this stage to keep the fire inside alive and thankfully on his tours, he meets up with so many wonderful gifted artists that perhaps keep his spirit alive and well mentallyalso.
May 11, 2002 on my calender is marked with a big RED STAR...
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stature can be misrepresentative of lung capacity. Any cyclist can tell you that, look at Marco Pantani, that guy is truly tiny, but can really breathe! It's all about training yourself.

ChopsMcgraw
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put his web site in my favorites, I just click on that and pull up one of the sound tracks and just enjoy listening while I'm on the PC. What a pleasure, if he every comes close to town I will be there.

Jealouse BIG TIME,
Philip S.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyDon--

I'm a little confused with your remarks about what Charlie Schlueter has said regarding taking in too much air. Charlie is a big advocate of more air = less tension, and that if you are tight when you take in "too much air" then you need to relax more and work out that tension by inhaling even more air. I studied with Charlie for 2+ years, so unless he's reversed his approach I think you might have his ideas backward.

Rich
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

I dont mean to bust anyones bubble, but I hate Sergei's playing. Just a personal thing, but I cant stand it. I wouldnt sound like him or have his musical ideas for the world. Have you ever heard his Neruda? For me (that bits important ) it was like scraping nails off a chalk board.

sorry, I dont mean to be offensive, but just to show that not everyone thinks he is fantastic.

Brian
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2002-02-07 09:00, richj50 wrote:
MightyDon--

I'm a little confused with your remarks about what Charlie Schlueter has said regarding taking in too much air. Charlie is a big advocate of more air = less tension, and that if you are tight when you take in "too much air" then you need to relax more and work out that tension by inhaling even more air. I studied with Charlie for 2+ years, so unless he's reversed his approach I think you might have his ideas backward.
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
AHHH, HAA!
YOU STUDIED WITH CHARLIE FOR OVER TWO YEARS AND DIDN'T GET THE MESSAGE??? TALK ABOUT " IDEAS BACKWARDS!"))

WELL, HERE IT IS AGAIN...OK!!! LISTEN!!! AND EUREEEAKA!! LET IT SINK IN, THIS TIME, OK!!!
PROPER AIR INTAKE....THAT WAS THE MESSAGE..

BUT THE ANSWER STILL IS???? WHAT????

Charles always tells everyone, at ALL 4 CLINICS AT THE MONETTE FACTORY AND OPEN HOUSES that I have had the honor to attend... Charles says THE VERY SAME THING, OVER AND OVER....
IT'S A FACT and a phyical law of nature that we human animals need a little enlightenment about how our own bodies work???

That YES, you DO NEED LOTS OF AIR BUT,
A HUGE, BUT!!! Everyone truly need lots of AIR BUT THAT SOOOOOOOOO MANY FOLKS,
OVER DO THE AIR BREATHING THING AND THE KEY IS....

KNOWING WHEN AND WHERE TO USE THAT BUCKET OF AIR IS THE BOTTOM LINE
and to TAKE IN TOO MUCH AIR FOR THE JOB...leads to FAR GREATER ILLS AND STRESS, and like you said....LESS TENSION??? NO!! JUST THE OPPOSITE, TRUST THIS!!!
As you know, Rich, if one over-breathes...this leads to taking in extra oxygen, and that leads to a change in your body chemistry, and that leads to the FLIGHT, OR FIGHT SYNDROME and the hormone adrenal glands to start pumping BIG TIME! You start to feel faint, and fear..etc etc....blood leaves your extremities...and WELL, YOU SEE THE PICTURE????
I HOPE...IT IS THAT IMPORTANT..to know this simple basic fact.
Knowing your music and knowing your own OXYGEN TANK..IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT and while we are on Charlie.
He is like, from the old Claude Gorden school...NO NONSENCE..

.He actually leaves the room when its time for all Dave Bag ,the Monette Raja Hokus pokus mental plain plan... just aint his bag.

Although it truly works for many, Neither Charlie or I are not knocking that Yoga brain thag', we both know he and I and many others DO NOT BUY THAT BAG..and if when you get nervous or play softly and even begin to think if you actually need to over breath to relieve stress and tension, then it sounds like you or anyone is HEADED FOR TROUBLE.

YOU NEED TO RETHINK THE PROCESS OR SEE A DOCTOR..for a phyical check up? I don't mean to be meanspirited... but TRY NOT TO MISLEAD PLAYERS INTO that ill conceived OVER BREATHING BAG, to relieve tension and stress.
IT JUST AIN'T "BIBLICAL BRASS PRACTICES" that work. The DOWN SIDE is far too great. May I just call it CRAPPOLA???

Call Charlie...and have him re-explain this to you again???
Just a thought...old unmightifulDon.

[ This Message was edited by: MightyDon on 2002-02-07 14:49 ]
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about Charles Schlueter...and for sounds that according to our Rich...THAT DO NOT SOUND LIKE CHALK ON A BLACKBOARD....try the beloved brassmasters clips @

http://www.cschlueter.com

Bottom line: Is that Charles is one of the greats and amazingly gifted and down to the basics that really work. Check out his wonderful skills and a real gentleman that puts his practices to work BIG TIME.

[ This Message was edited by: MightyDon on 2002-02-07 14:47 ]
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyDon wrote:

"YOU STUDIED WITH CHARLIE FOR OVER TWO YEARS AND DIDN'T GET THE MESSAGE???"

MightyDon-- I take some offense to your post. I think that after studying every week for 2+ years (including summers at Tanglewood) that I have an idea about what Charlie taught ME. I don't doubt that he could be teaching something different 14 years later and that you heard him correctly more recently, and I don't think you should doubt me unless you also studied with him during the same time period I did.

That said, I'm not trying to advocate any position one way or the other. I'm just trying to convey what I was taught and the fact that it's 180 degrees opposite to what you are saying Charlie teaches now. That's a big change in philosophy for Charlie to have made and I find it very striking. That's all.

Rich
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo Sorry if one takes offense at my ramblings...Just consider the source for the Unmighty..OK???
But...Take offence if you like...that perfectly your given right and truly the human language is pretty lame and misunderstanding is rampent these days huh????

Even Charlie says the very same thing...
"No matter how long or how gifted one is or how long some one has studied, no one should ever be unwilling to learn something of value on a daily basis"
At the 1999 Clinic and Open house, Charlie was astounded just how much everyone learns--- by getting together in a relaxed Open house situation and thanks to the compliments and greatest of hosts,Dave Monette...who for the past 4 seasons or so. Has this yearly Open House and Clinic with workshops and performances nightly.

In fact, he was one of the first to admit that not a day goes by at this kind of gathering that he doesn't learn something new or of usable value and the learning curve is endless. We stop learning or listening to each other, we are in for a real EYE-BALL OPENER??

Just because one is a professional ICON player, a symphony principle...or gifted world class instructor...NO ONE SHOULD EVER BEGIN TO THINK THAT THEY CAN'T LEARN SOMETHING NEW EACH DAY and how surprising it can be that in many cases, something of real value is gleaned often from very unusual sources...and often from really neophyte newcomers can be a source of real enlightenment, worth a pot of gold.
GET REAL GANG!!!
But to take offense by putting one's self on a self appointed SOAP-BOX and saying that just because one TRAINS AND WORKS FOR YEARS WITH A SO-AND-SO ETC. gives them imunity from learning something of value,that could truly be of help.
Well then...again that is each and everyone's choice and I defend your right to play anyway that best suits you and by your comments, it sounds like you put yourself right up there with the best????)))

Being motal comes with sooooo much baggage and for example..

.it is so amazing how folks can label a certain player the very best of anything. Sure the Sandovals...the Andre's, the Schleuters...on and on...have produced OUT OF THIS WORLD RECORDINGS AND LIVE PERFORMANCES THAT LIVE FOREVER IN THE HEARTS OF THEIR LISTENERS but in my bag...I still say that ONE TRULY IS A GOOD AS THEIR LAST "TOOT!" and the same goes for YOU AND I...OR ANYOTHER ICON OR MERE MEAGER.
"We are perfected in our weakness. (gee, that sounds preachy....daaaa but!!!

Let's NOT GET INTO THE HEAVY BREATHING, FLIGHT-FIGHT SYNDROME...
Simply and directly...Go for a usable TANK OF AIR...but use it with knowledge of good sound practice routines. (NO BLATTING AND OVER BLOWING, LIKE SOME PRO'S ETC..
Someone who plays as much quality trumpet like yourself...no doubt by now..long long ago....KNOWS EXACTLY JUST HOW MUCH AIR he needs for a quality performance.

Waaaay too much drivil...BUT OVER BREATHING...IS COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE!
Again....My condolences and apolo's if what I said was taken as MEAN SPIRITED!
LET'S JUST CALL IT "STRAIGHT-TALK!"
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyDon wrote:

"But to take offense by putting one's self on a self appointed SOAP-BOX and saying that just because one TRAINS AND WORKS FOR YEARS WITH A SO-AND-SO ETC. gives them imunity from learning something of value,that could truly be of help."

What are you talking about? And why are you arguing? I not disagreeing with you on anything!

This has nothing to do with learning something. All I'm saying is that Charlie apparently taught one thing in the 80s and something else these days. That's it. I'm not saying that any way of playing is better than another. I'm not criticizing anything you are saying about breathing and I'm puzzled that you think I am.

MightyDon wrote:

"Well then...again that is each and everyone's choice and I defend your right to play anyway that best suits you and by your comments, it sounds like you put yourself right up there with the best????)))"

We're not talking about my playing or what best suits anyone. We're just talking about what Charlie SAID! That's it!

GEEZ!!!!! Don't make me out to be someone I'm not saying things that I'm not!!!

I suspect that this is a a classic example of email communication break-down and at this point I'm convinced that you are completely misunderstanding me no matter what I write. Maybe there's some ice cream or something smeared on your monitor

So, no offense taken this time. Clearly there's a communication problem, so let's just drop it.

Rich
MightyDon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm????
"ICECREAM SMEARED ON MY MONITOR??? Hummmmmmmmm????
RICH!!! Uhhhhhh???? OK!! ))) IT'S NOT ICE CREAM...BUT, CLOSE!!!
It's
more like a FOGGY MIXED GLUNK from my spilled bottle of "RainerBrew brew that I use for DUNKING MY OREO cookies onto my eye-glasses and after consuming 2 bottles and a half a box of Oreo's-------and mixed with too many years of playing high notes,the extra sugar just kicked in.....AND BEING DEPRIVED OF OXYGEN...from inproper breathing techniques-----IT'S A WONDER I CAN COMMUNICATE AT ALL..

. Rich!! Pardone' brassmeisterbro and all that jazz... ONE LAST FOOD (Not Oreos and bad beer but...)
WHILE WE ARE AT IT~~~~~~~~
WHAT'S YOUR IDEAS ON THE ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE? This workshop was very interesting.
Charles, as you know, seems to always take the no no none-sense approach and mentioned quite strongly his feelings that too many trumpet players OVER ANAL' IZE' playing techniques almost to the point of paralysis instead of just doing what your poor old "bod" is crying out...trying to tell the trumpet player.
Often felt that many of his students came to him with so much physiological damage from too many lessons with instructors that OVER THINK...THE THOUGHT PROCESS OF PLAYING trumpet which in the end often does more harm than good and really all is simply needed, is to get in touch with your common God given body senses, listen and use what works for the student. I could tell that some phases of these Yoga, Alexander, and various other methods....just seem to kinda leave a synle' on Charles face as well as a few "rolled eyeballs, even though he said that The Alexander Tech. had some very worthwhile relaxation and stress relief concepts worth putting into practice by any muscian, all all instruments---piano, bass, woodwind or brass. Awareness is of prime inportance, but NOT TO THE POINT OF "LIP-LOCK-BRAIN FREEZE! )

Rich...Bottom line: Lets just try to keep a little love in our hearts and a music in our souls. ))))))))))))) AND JUST PLAY SOME *GREAT LICKS!!!

*in reference to your "ICE CREAM comment..which left my in stitches and wet britches!" )

[ This Message was edited by: MightyDon on 2002-02-08 10:20 ]
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have quite a way with words MightyDon! Anyhow, I'll stick to my boring prose and just say that I agree completely with the over-analysis part. Charlie very often said that the biggest thing holding me back was that I had too many psychological hang-ups. Sometimes in lessons while I was in the middle of playing something like a Charlier etude, Charlie would do something utterly bizarre...not always the same thing...but always bizarre. For example, he'd do something like reach over and pinch my ear while I was playing. When I was done with the passage, I'd ask him why he did that -- and he'd say that it was to distract my attention and he'd then go on to tell me how much better I sounded once he did that -- how my sound suddenly opened up and things suddenly came out much easier for me because I was no longer so intently focused on the irrelevant minutia of playing.

Charlie was always unpredictable. I really need to get back for some brush-up lessons with him. It's been too long. Only problem is I no longer live in the Boston area.

Peace,
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: