• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Players Reputation: Egotistical?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_rowe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I ever said was that you weren't using the Industry Standard terminology for range. That's all!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everybody,
NCTrumpet was correct when he suggested that you all need to let this thing go. This sparing with a 4th-year trumpet player is going nowhere. Sooner or later life will deal him the lessons he will need to learn. It always does.
Larry Smithee
Don O

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC and LS are quite right about this thread. Since I posted a few days ago, this topic has generated into quite a free-for-all which was started and exacerbated by a high school student who now says (quote) "I planned on this being no more than a light-hearted joking topic" (unquote). Unfortunately the "ego" excess is primarily with the original author of this thread and not with those who have posted responses. It's good to see such enthusiasm and dedication from our youth - most of us trumpet-players, if not all, had it in our youth as well. But I think that we kept things in proportion to who we were at the time and looked to the knowledge and experience of our teachers and the professionals of our day. We tried to emulate certain great players - for me it was mostly Rafael Mendez and Maurice Andre' - artists who had accomplished a high level of excellence in their playing that we could look up to, and can still do so today, among so many others. No matter how "good" one thinks he is, there is usually someone at least as good and perhaps a little better in different aspects of playing this instrument. Joseph Pack may appreciate this now, or if not, he will eventually.

As to the posters on this TH Forum, many of them are very experienced teacher/players from whom the majority of us non-professionals can/have reap(ed) much information, knowledge and ideas to help us improve our own personal artistic approach to the trumpet. We can exchange our queries, thoughts and ideas freely, whether they be about the basic fundamentals or more advanced criteria, it doesn't matter, we're all here to learn and to benefit from one another. That's what's so great about the TH site!

Unfortunately, Warbird's latest comments show a lack of understanding and maturity. I wish him well with his music life and I hope in the future that he can contribute more meaningful discussion to, and benefit more from, this site.

Don Olmsted

"He who knows every note more thoroughly understands the effect".
trumpet2k3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have taken it a step to far by going to such extremes, but I was honestly curious as to whether or not he was telling the truth regarding the band's requirements at Concord HS. It took a little bit of hunting to find the appropriate phone number....as the school lacks a music department webpage. Or even a separate music dept. Mr. Morgan was listed under cultural arts. Fair enough. What I got out of this phone call, was a confirmation that requireing an entire trumpet section in two out of three bands to hit and tonally maintain a double high C is not only asinine, but just not even plausible at a high school level. As suspected all along. Concord HS is not in fact breeding Mini-Maynards by the half dozen.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As suspected all along. Concord HS is not in fact breeding Mini-Maynards by the half dozen"

.....thank goodness for that!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Everyone,

Please read the topic "Everyone Who Has Seen Warbird's Posts...Attention". Sorry for any inconviencence. Please don't hold anything in this tipic especially against me on account of it wasn't really Joseph. I have explained everything in that topic.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS Mini-Manyards?...Thats not a bad idea. Its not happening...but think about it, that would be cool when marching band season came around:).
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ego is only a small part of trumpet playing and best kept in check, or as someone else has already stated: you won't get called back.

Big egos are not necessary. Being able to play the part right when it counts means everything. Confidence, consistency, professionalism, and a strong practice routine will win more respect and jobs than any ego-touting player, anywhere, anytime.

Matt
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An older, wiser and far more experience trumpeter once told me that the best phrase he ever learned in college as a student was "I'm sorry and I suck." This, he said, keeps the ego in check and and keeps the conductor happy, meaning he didn't feel like choking the life out of individual members of the trumpet section.

I don't totally agree with him, but I have learned that for me anyway, it is far better to let the other guy win the dispute, be it how high, were you sharp, were you flat, did you rush, etc and move on from there rather than to enter a destructive debate that won't be won because neither ego will budge. Even if I think I'm right, if I push the issue, I always end up looking like an a** and that certainly won't get me invited back to another gig.

Some think that this discussion got out of hand. I think that it was proof positive about the stereotype of the trumpet player's ego.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, for the original poster who received so many numerous responses, I suppose that was quit a boost to his/her ego. But as I followed and read each response, I would have to say that most of the responses seemed very measured and practical, with very little ego slinging.
Larry Smithee
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, that from looking at the responses on this thread, that it illustrated the answer to its own question quite well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: