• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"BLAST"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BLAST" is coming to Buffalo in March! Has anyone seen the show live yet? If so, what are your comments? I saw the documentary on PBS last year and was amazed! What a concept! Literally, a live Drum Corp show on stage with full theatrics. Caught the drum line on the "Today Show" a few months back. What precision! Took a look at their website and had chills when I heard the " Simple Gifts" sound clip. Just want to know what you thought if you did see them. THANKS!

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine saw them in Pheonix, and said they were incredible. Just think, if their trumpet line can play like they do while marching, think what they can do standing still!

ChopsMcgraw
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DVD of the PBS show. I also saw the show last month live in Orange County, CA. They have REALLY improved since the PBS show! That one was a performance in England where the show was debuted. My only criticism is that the tickets were way too much. I bit the bullet anyway, and the whole family loved it; especially my three year old son, who insists he is going to be a drummer.
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DVD of the PBS show. I also saw the show last month live in Orange County, CA. They have REALLY improved since the PBS show! That one was a performance in England where the show was debuted. My only criticism is that the tickets were way too much. I bit the bullet anyway, and the whole family loved it; especially my three year old son, who insists he is going to be a drummer.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout those bones on unicycles?
mistrad37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the story about blast.

In a nut-shell they are the Star of Indiana drum corp that switched to stage corp. They have several troops around the U.S. now. I have known several people that have been in the group. Not all of the music is live, believe it or not. Some moves are to dangerous to play and execute at the same time. So there is occasional parts in the show that are dubbed. They are fantastic to watch, I have seen them three times so far and can't wait until the next time they are back home in Indiana.

[ This Message was edited by: mistrad37 on 2002-01-31 23:57 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend that is in the crossmen drum corps gave me a vhs of a blast show. And it was awsome. Some cool songs they played where everybody loves the blues and malaguena. The trumpet/brass line is out of this world. And it is true. If they can play that good while marching and doing other stuff imagine what they can do still. It was just awsome awsome. I was shocked on how good they are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the cast if Blast! for about a year and a half, which included the original US tour and the Original Broadway Cast.
I must clarify that all of the music is played live, while there are some tracks playing under what the horns or percussion are playing. But their parts are never recorded.
The show has improved tremendously since the PBS broadcast. The video doesn't begin to do the show justice. I haven't seen the show since it left New York, but understand it is doing quite well.
If you get a chance, I highly reccomend you go see it.
By the way, a small but important detail. It was formerly the Star of Indiana Drum and Bugle Corps (or Brass and Percussion Corps depending on the year), not the Indiana Stars.
kcrw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast came to Iowa in November. I went and saw it, and they were awesome. It was incredible. The best part was in Malenguena, when they came in the audience and played. I think everyone should go see it.

Casey Welty
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've traveled to New York quite a bit in the last two years or so, both for work and vacation, and I was fortunate enough to see "Blast" on Broadway twice. I have been a big drum corps fan since the mid-80's, and knew all about the show, including seeing the PBS special, etc. I had really good seats both times (fifth row center once and fifteenth row center the second time). This show was one of the better live performances I have seen in a long time. The creativity and execution were amazing! I kept telling friends to take the "cleanest" Drum Corps Finals performance that you have ever seen, and "Blast" was that much better. The Malaguena finale was absolutely incredible. Hats off to both the staff and the performers.

I know the flugelhorn soloist's name (from the original Broadway cast) is Ben Harloff. Does anybody know the name of the jazz soloist (the Maynard "Everybody Loves the Blues" soloist) from the original Broadway cast? Both of these guys are great players, and I'm sure that they will end up somewhere - it would be nice to follow their playing credits.
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blast is amazing, i saw them in DC about a year and a half ago, they were mind blowing, thes best part is where the girl throws the trumpet in the air in Bolero
Later

DRES
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw BLAST! in Charlotte, NC and they were great. My older brother at the US Merchaint Marine Academy said that their band director Cpt. Force was knocking BLAST!....I sense a bit of jealousy don't you?.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot say much more than what has already said. However I do feel that an added comment will even more verify the quality of Blast. I saw them in Phoenix and was blown away by the performance. Everything was perfectly executed and just...I don't know...PERFECT! I bought the audio CD and love it. Everytime I listen to it, I have to remind myself that they are moving, running, and jumping while playing, they are not just standing still!

Bb Trumpet - Kanstul 1500A
Cornet- 1939 King Master
_________
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soloist on "Everybody Loves the Blues" or "ELB" as we came to call it is a guy by the name of Andy Smart. He is from the Demver area and I believe went back to finish his degree at UC Boulder once the show left New York. He was the soloist on the Video, CD, the Original US Tour and the Original Broadway Cast. Andy is a great player who can really play anything. He sounds amazing in any style I have ever heard him play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: