• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Audition Excerpt Books and Recordings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpkhilma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently become deeply interested in improving my ability to play the great excerpts that often appear in auditions for professional orchestras. To this end I would like to get feedback from you on what books and or recordings you have found helpful in your own quest for excerpt mastery. Two tools that I have found to be very helpful are..

1. Phil Smiths recording of the Top 20 Audition Excerpts (does anyone know if there are plans to release another similar recording?)

and

2. A book called "The Top 50 Orchestral Audition Excerpts for Trumpet" (Phillip Norris)

I would also like to hear suggestions on excellent recordings of orchestras playing works with popular excerpts such as Mahler's posthorn solo, Shostakovich's piano concerto #1 etc...... I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

P.S. Is it possible to get audition lists from orchestras even when there isn't a current vacancy?

[ This Message was edited by: hpkhilma on 2002-01-09 15:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hpkhilma on 2002-01-09 15:33 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, if you look for recordings of any of the big time groups, you probably will have a good example of how the excerpts should sound. Chicago, London, Philadelphia, Cleveland, etc...all are very fine and have excellent trumpet players. Good luck

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gappingr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good way to get copies of the excerpts is to take a lesson with a player from a local symphony. If the player has been around awhile (ie. 10 years or so) and has auditioned many times, they will usually have their own compilation of excerpts copied from the actual parts when the local symphony played them. Also, any good university trumpet professor should have a collection of excerpts for use by their students. Check around and ask if you can copy their copies.

Good luck.

Rob

One needs only two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

[ This Message was edited by: gappingr on 2002-01-14 14:49 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Rob Gappinger sez:

One needs only two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Hey Rob, I've been meaning to tell just how durn hard it is to play with WD40 on my lips and duct tape on my corners... LOL!

Anyway, you may also wish to check with your local symphony (pro or community, or both) library to see what they use, and if you can copy their audition material. FWIW, my teacher (principal in our symphony) has stack of excerpts, with notes and some transposed to use a more appropriate horn without having to think about it while auditioning.

HTH - Don
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, getting a hold of an actual symphony member is good. However, so far, the "Top 50" book has had everything so far for audition lists I've checked, except for if the orchestra in question uses a specific unusual version, in which case they usually would supply it.
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 06:57 ]
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you get this book?
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey walter.

I for one would really appreciate it if you would be kind enought to post those audition lists. I myself dont have any, but I would dearly like to have a look at the ones you have. If you have the time, I, and am sure many others would appreciate it.

Brian
gb1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to mention that many US orchestras are posting audition lists on their websites.
For example, Boston has their 4th/Utility list online, and it contains a lot of excerpts that many trumpeters might not readily think of as being "standard". Take a look! http://www.bso.org

If you aren't an AFM member, I think you can still get the paper, though. I'm in the union now, but a few years ago, I subscribed just to "International Musician" without actually joining. Look at their website for info: http://www.afm.org
gb1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that unless an audition is coming up soon for a given orchestra, you probably won't find a list online. Probably obvious, but in case it wasn't...
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 07:01 ]
PBTpt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...That being said, I do like his demonstration of the 2 ways to play the fast solo in American in Paris: either like a Charleston or in swing fashion. Still, I've never seen this excerpt on an audition list. .....

American in Paris was on the Houston list a couple of months ago (they even asked it in the 1st. round) and it's on the LA list. It's a pretty common excerpt!
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to do that Walter, its much appreciated.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: