• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul G1 and G2 and others.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistrad37

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with either of these mouthpieces? If so, how would you compare the rim size of the G1 to others like a Bach 3C?

Also, what other v-cups would you recommend. I need something that has the feel of a 3C.

How would you rate the Bob Reeves Custom Mouthpieces?

Also, are the new GR mouthpieces V cups, or are they more of a bowl shaped cup?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-21 12:05 ]
TptProf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the GR Mouthpieces V or bowl shaped? Check out http://www.trumpetpro.com and you tell us. There are some overlays of the Haefner Mouthpiece and other GR Mouthpieces.
The GR's are a totally new animal. These are designed by Gary Radtke using his design program. They are designed using math and science and acoustical laws. They do not cut a cup and wonder what it will play like. They know before they make it because of their design parameters. Another thing about GR mouthpieces is that they contain no discontinuities or "speed bumps" in the design. Their machining is second to none. Are they V or bowl shaped? Why does it matter? They are neither..and perhaps both. That is antiquated thinking. They are a "balanced" design. Check out their website for info or e-mail them.
Robert Keith
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-19 15:59, TptProf wrote:
"...The GR's are a totally new animal. These are designed by Gary Radtke using his design program. They are designed using math and science and acoustical laws. They do not cut a cup and wonder what it will play like. They know before they make it because of their design parameters..."
Robert Keith

Sorry, but everytime I read one of these posts that extoll the virtues of the GR mouthpieces and how they use "math and science" to create perfect mouthpieces and how they "know" how they will play even before they are made, based on "math and science", the first thing that comes to my mind is what a clever marketing ploy Gary Radtke came up with.

The next thing that comes to my mind is the story of how Science "proved" that based on it's size, wingspan, required energy output, etc., the Bumblebee cannot fly. Fortunately for the Bumblebee, it doesn't know this, so it goes ahead and flies anyway.

John Mohan

P.S. I don't know a thing about these GR mouthpieces. Never seen one, never played one. Maybe they're the greatest thing since sliced pizza.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistrad37,

In answer to your question,

"Also, are the new GR mouthpieces V cups, or are they more of a bowl shaped cup?"

All the GRs I have seen and tried have the traditional looking bowl cup. You should ask Gary or Bruce Lee about V cups.
I have tried many different GR mouthpieces, including the one that Bruce Lee @ Northern Brass characterized as Gary's perfect mouthpiece. (BTW, Bruce is a good one to contact if you want to get info on these pieces) That particular mouthpiece played very well but wasn't quite bright enough for me. But I believe it wasn't intended to be bright sounding.

I played a Parduba Harry James 5** for many years and Bruce turned me on to a GR "clone" of that piece. I use the word clone for lack of a better word. Evidently Gary made the 63*SR* based on the the properties of the Parduba 5**. The 63*SR* was the best piece I had ever played but it didn't look much like the 5**. For example the very visible double cup in the 5** was not present at all in the 63*SR*. But it played better.

Now, to get to the point. Gary Radtke can take a mouthpiece and improve it by using his mathematical (computer oriented?) procedures. They work! He doesn't copy, he cleans up and balances the mouthpiece to itself and it plays better. I have since moved on to another GR mouthpiece provided to me by Bruce that (for me ) blows everything else out of the water, including the 63*SR*.

But I'll tell you one thing for certain, no matter what you're playing on now, you will sound better and play easier with improved endurance and range by switching to a GR. Guaranteed! Which one will be for you to determine. If Gary redid (I believe he calls it reverse engineering) your current mouthpiece, the new GR would play better than the one you're playing.

Regards,

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-01-23 10:12 ]
mistrad37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Raymond!

I have talked to Bruce several times about GR mouthpieces and have decided that a 66l or 66lx model would be the best for me. Mr. GR said the same thing. The only thing is, I need the sound of a V cup. However, I do plan on purchasing a GR to try it out and see how it works for me.

One thing is for sure, I need a mouthpiece that will darken the tone. The 3c I use now feels great, yet the cup feels shallow to me. I love my 3c flugal mouthpiece. If I could only have my flugal mouthpiece made into a trumpet mouthpiece!
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, these mouthpieces may actually be one of the best things to come along since sliced pizza...I don't usually promote any one particular brand of mouthpiece since I switch around so much!...these pieces are quite different than any other mouthpiece I've ever seen. I've been playing the 63**** for about a month now and have found it to be the best lead and commercial mouthpiece I've ever played....I got a 63***** from Bruce Lee yesterday in the mail because I want a darker/mellower sound for jazz and classical....I had used the 63**** for both jazz and classical gigs and found that when playing jazz in a small group, it worked....but was a little too bright for me....in churches for weddings and such....I found it sounded great for piccolo and solo trumpet where you are playing out at a mf volume or more...but for quieter volumes and brass quintet playing the sound sticks out too much. I am hoping the 63***** will be the piece I use for jazz and classical work...although I have had it only one day there is a definite difference in the sound...it is darker...but I am a firm believer that the only place to REALLY find out how a mouthpiece performs is on the gig...so it will take me a little bit time to evaluate this piece. What I find most intriguing about this piece is that when I look at it and feel it...it visually looks no different then the ****....the cup depth does not seem to be visually deeper...when I check with my finger...it does not feel deeper...this is what I find to be quite odd as all other pairs of mouthpieces I've had in which one is meant to be a jazz/classical piece and one a commercial/lead piece with the same rim diameter...there has always been a noticeable difference..(and believe me, I've had a lot of these pairs of mouthpieces!...But the sound between the **** and the ***** is definitely different and in the way I expected them to be....so I am at a loss to explain how exactly Gary is doing this. There may be something to all this math stuff! BTW, I have talked to Gary on the phone several times...and while I understand why you feel that the 'math angle' could simply be a marketing ploy...I have found that this is not the case in this situation...this guy is truly passionate and excited about what he is doing with his mouthpieces and really believes in the precise mathmatics as a way to achieve what he wants...I have heard him go into a detailed explanation of how a certain mouthpiece he was making was constructed and how all these mathmatical factors played a vital part in this...he certainly lost me on the way..lol..but it was almost as if he couldn't stop himself from talking about these details....I got a very clear sense of a man who loves and is very excited about his work. All the best, Lex.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody I've talked to have said what a great thing the GR's are.

Is there anyone out there who has 'tried'...and NOT liked them.

PS. In case any of you guys / gals out there think I'm trying to 'dis' GR / Brian ...I 'think I can count Brian as quite a good friend now after having a lot of contact lately!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy o-iii<O:

Your question should probably be posed in two parts (and in a new post):

a) Is there anyone out there WHO CONSULTED WITH BRUCE LEE, GARY R OR BRIAN S who has then 'tried'...and NOT liked them.

b) Is there anyone out there who WITHOUT consulting .... has 'tried'...and NOT liked them.
[e.g. see post reply by JAPLE: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=45&forum=8&14]

An additional question might be, did you chose the right GR mouthpiece the first time? (I like my second choice better GR67LX but both are super mouthpieces-other is GR67M)

edit: but it seems every post on mouthpieces has several replies/comparisons to GR... e.g. current "Parduba mouthpieces" quickly moved to a discussion of GR... and this thread is under "Kanstul G1 and G2 and others". AND, there are also many GR specific posts: "new GR piece", "GR mouthpiece question", "GR mouthpieces","GR Haefner Mouthpiece","GR Tech Mouthpieces vs. Monette/Marcinkiewicz".

David

[ This Message was edited by: David Oulton on 2002-01-24 09:16 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thankyou David I don't wish to post my question like that.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
TptProf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a thing about these GR mouthpieces. Never seen one, never played one.
John Mohan

John,

In the past people have attacked you and your ideas. I do not agree with them. Everyone can voice an opinion. Some people have come to defend you and I realize these attacks must have been difficult for you. Now, you have done the same thing to Gary Radtke and his mouthpieces. You admit you have never seen one or played one, yet you attack. Why?

Do you have a financial interest in your Kanstul mouthpiece? If you do John that's ok, just tell us.

Gary Radtke is a clever marketing person, I don't think so. He hardly even advertises and has no clue about marketing. He does do quality work and keeps his customers happy. He is an innovative thinker and hard worker. The customers do the talking for him. He is honest and does use science and math. I don't understand all of it but I have witnessed it and how it works.

Forget about GR mouthpieces, they are the smallest of them all. I'm sure Yamaha, Selmer, or Kanstul will buy them out in a year or so to get their technology. Gary Radtke has given the brass world much more than a mouthpiece. They have raised the bar and this is a good thing for the trumpet players. They have developed a new accurate language with parameters to communicate about the mouthpiece. The have put the math to the brass. In one year they have done more to educate the brass world than all the big manufactures have done in decades. Forget the mouthpieces, look at the big picture and how this thinking will help the brass world.

John, as far as a perfect mouthpiece is concerned I have an answer for you. Gary Radtke told me there is no perfect mouthpiece only a best compromise for each person and their specific needs. His goal is to use the parameters to communicate so we can find that best compromise. GR mouthpieces do not play themselves. Gary told me the person on the end of the horn has more to do with the sound than the mouthpiece. Something to do with the amount of lip in the mouthpiece minus the cup volume and a pressure drop across the lips.

It's not fair to bash people when you have no data to support your statement. Same as the people did to you.

Robert Keith
mistrad37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to my original question

I understand all of the hoopla about GR's. However, I am still interested in the Kanstul G1. So if anyone has played one, tell me how you like it and what it does for you.

Thanks.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-21 12:06 ]
mistrad37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quad C, I appreciate your help.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-21 12:06 ]
Jason Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 10:55, TptProf wrote:
I don't know a thing about these GR mouthpieces. Never seen one, never played one.
John Mohan

John,

In the past people have attacked you and your ideas. I do not agree with them. Everyone can voice an opinion. Some people have come to defend you and I realize these attacks must have been difficult for you. Now, you have done the same thing to Gary Radtke and his mouthpieces. You admit you have never seen one or played one, yet you attack. Why?

Do you have a financial interest in your Kanstul mouthpiece? If you do John that's ok, just tell us.

Gary Radtke is a clever marketing person, I don't think so. He hardly even advertises and has no clue about marketing. He does do quality work and keeps his customers happy. He is an innovative thinker and hard worker. The customers do the talking for him. He is honest and does use science and math. I don't understand all of it but I have witnessed it and how it works.

Forget about GR mouthpieces, they are the smallest of them all. I'm sure Yamaha, Selmer, or Kanstul will buy them out in a year or so to get their technology. Gary Radtke has given the brass world much more than a mouthpiece. They have raised the bar and this is a good thing for the trumpet players. They have developed a new accurate language with parameters to communicate about the mouthpiece. The have put the math to the brass. In one year they have done more to educate the brass world than all the big manufactures have done in decades. Forget the mouthpieces, look at the big picture and how this thinking will help the brass world.

John, as far as a perfect mouthpiece is concerned I have an answer for you. Gary Radtke told me there is no perfect mouthpiece only a best compromise for each person and their specific needs. His goal is to use the parameters to communicate so we can find that best compromise. GR mouthpieces do not play themselves. Gary told me the person on the end of the horn has more to do with the sound than the mouthpiece. Something to do with the amount of lip in the mouthpiece minus the cup volume and a pressure drop across the lips.

It's not fair to bash people when you have no data to support your statement. Same as the people did to you.

Robert Keith

Good post Robert.
I think you are pretty close to the truth here.
John Mohan has plugged his Mohan model Kanstul mouthpieces here on the forum a number of times in the past. He claims no financial gain but probably supporting his giagantic ego is the most important thing.
He can justify his own insecurity by bashing other equipment and other methods. What about when John has attacked others so many times? He's no saint that's for sure.
The bumble bee thing is ridiculous. If John wants to use that to discredit the work of GR then John owes it to himself to investigate if it's true or not.
Arrogance continues to rein supreme for John Mohan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: