• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What mouthpiece should I use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently have a 7C mouthpiece made by Yamaha and I want to get a deeper cup. I have a Yamaha trumpet and I was wondering: How compatable are mouthpieces and horns? For example, could I put a bach mouthpiece on my horn?

Thanks, MM
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many players who want a larger diameter cup than what exists on a 7C will tend to go to a Bach 6C, Bach 5C, or Bach 3C...the lower the number, the more diameter the cup will have. The letter names dictate the depth of the cup. A is deeper and F is more shallow.

Maybe you could spend some time in a music shop trying out sizes, or if someone you know would allow you to try out one of theirs for awhile, you could be better able to see what MIGHT work for you.

The reason I said "MIGHT" is that it generally takes some time to become used to how certain mouthpieces work. You could have a good "first impression" and then find out later that it was a wrong choice.

And buying a number of mouthpieces to see what works for you could become rather expensive after awhile. Do you have a reliable player -or- teacher than can advise you?

Good luck and sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2002-01-20 19:30 ]
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the if you go to the 5c or the 3c, the cup will be the same. But the mouthpiece cup, or bowl will be bigger, not deeper, bigger. But it will keep the same cup depth with a different rim. I would suggest trying a 5C, then a 3C, then a 3B and see what works best.
Later

DRES
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the rim size I would try out a regular Bach 7, if you would like a bigger rim try a 6, or 5. They all have a deep cup and make a beautiful sound. I think Lex made a typo the lower the number thing. Actually the lower the letter the deeper the cup. Technically it would have a larger cup volume but if you just want a deeper cup and not a switch in the rim size try a 7 or 7B
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex,

You stated in an earlier post in this thread:

"Many players who want a deeper cup than what exists on a 7C will tend to go to a Bach 6, Bach 5C, or Bach 3C...the lower the number, the deeper the cup."

I always thought that a 7C, 5C and 3C would all have the same depth cup just bigger rim diameters. Is this not correct?

Thanks.
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I caught my own error in the message above and edited the information. I knew better.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: