• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wick (Roger Webster model ) cornet mouthpieces ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here play a Denis Wick (Roger Webster) model cornet mouthpiece ? If so - what do you think of them ? How do they play diferently than the standard Wick pieces (I play the standard 2BW, 3B and 4B at the moment)

Thanks in advance

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
GoldenBrass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a gold plated #3 Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece. It has a very deep cup giving a warm tone. According to the Denis Wick catalog it has the same dimensions as the Roger Webster #3.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be mistaken, but I think the "w" is the wider rim which we designed by that guy. Roger Webster. So you have one already. I think. I could be mistaken.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roger Webster models are listed as RW3B, RW4B, etc. They also have a lot more mass. I've seen a picture of one and they look quite different from the regular models. They are supposed to have the same rim dimensions as the standard 3B, and 4B models. Other than the increased mass I was just wondering what the differences might be. Oh darn - looks like I might have to go out and buy one. Wonder what excuse I'm gonna have to use on the wife this time

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an RW3. in comparison to the straight 3b, 4b, and 2bw:

the 3b and 4b are already 'heavy top' i.e more mass than the deeper 3 or 4.
the profile of the rim is more rounded and 'softer' bite? more comfortable?
the outside design instead of having the grooved bit it is perfectly profiled all the way down.

i don't have a 2bw but it is definately not a Roger Webster model. it just has the wider rim than the 2b.

I think you need to decide what size you want to use and personally i would advise sticking to it. the 2bw is a 67' the 3 a 66' and 4 is 65' ( 5 is 63')
what else do you use i.e on trumpet?

for information a straight 4 is the same as 4b(rw4), (16.5 mm) not 16.4 as stated in the catalogue.

i am not using the RW3 now as i have gone through a bit of a downsize. when i started playing cornet ( 2 and a bit years ago) i started with a 3, got a 3b, but found it brightened my tone stuck with the 3, got the RW3 but found i was actually blowing my lips open. went to 4B, then 4 then 5 then GR#5 with nb63*** rim. Phew!

trumpet wise i had the dw 3, then gr65ms then gr nb63*** and that is when i got the cornet piece made.

i have had a tough time acclimating to the cornet/ trumpet (had been on euph for 5odd years before!) and did'nt really get all the info i needed till over a year ago.
its been 6 months since sticking with my gr#5 and at last my sound is becoming more cornet-like with it and i am beginning to get some consistency down the band hall.
i'm still not there but know i'm getting there.

Ultimately i think you need a bit of confidence that the mp is right and then just get on with it. what is most important is how you use the mp.

a friend at band has the RW3b, another has an RW4. if there was a model in 5 like RW5 or 5B i would probably have them as well!

as i try the 3, 3b or rw3 now the sound is best with the rw3. i just never get on with the 3b, but honestly did'nt stick with it.

I did actually speak with Roger Webster about mp's and stuff on the phone, he prefers his RW3.

i will hazzard a guess and say the RW3B might suit you best but it really depends what is your preffered size of the 3 you currently use.

hope this info is helpful and sorryt for the long reply
Yamaha Maestro Cornet RW3
Yamaha pro 631 Flugel dw3fL
Yamaha YCR6610T Soprano
Elkhart pocket trumpet
www.thundersleybrassband.co.uk
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in heaven. Just got my new gold Denis Wick "Roger Webster" RW3 mouthpiece today from Dillon's. I have been playing a standard Wick 3B, 4B and 2BW but the new piece is way warmer, smoother. I always felt that the 3B produced a fairly warm type of tone (and good articulation) but this is a whole new dimension. I'm looking at picking up a new Stomvi master cornet (or a Lawler) but was concerned that the Stomvi was a little bright. Wow - does this new mouthpiece warm it up big time. An unbelievable tone quality. I can't wait to get to British Brass Band practice tonight and let it rip.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
_latin_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Stomvi:

I play a RW4 with my cornet. I tried a regular Dennis Wick 4 mouthpiece and I found the sound too dull for my taste. The RW4 mouthpiece has a warmer tone.

"There is no substitute for practice".
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from BBB practice. Had comments from all my section mates on what a different sound I had tonight. While tuning, the guys in front of me all turned around to see who was producing this tone. Sounded almost like a flugel. The director gave me kinda a funny look. Don't know if it was good or bad. I'm not sure my sound matchs the rest of the cornet section (they tend to be quite a bit on the bright side - probably play Bach mouthpieces) but god I think I'm gonna love it for solo type work. Reeeeeeal smooth.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: