• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

novice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich,

you hit the nail on the head, that is exactly what i'm saying. ya, i can hit a high "F", but i want to hit it and sound "FAT" not squeeky. i'm not a novice to the horn but i am a novice to being musical, i guess like everyone else i'm trying to get better. but i also meant that i'm a novice to this system and trying to "type" myself was apparently a mistake. i have a piece we're playing tonite that is written to double "A" and while i can squeek it, i would like to "play" it. yes, most everything i play is written below "C", but it's nice to have it when you want it.

and rich, that thought of yours about the "warm up" guy is so funny or not funny as it were. i had that guy at our church about a year ago. he was playing doubles and basically aggravating everyone with his warm up antics. then when the actual playing started he was nowhere to be found. that's why i'm trying to improve my sight reading as well, so i can play with you at the next Brass Clinic. i don't want you to have a solo when i sit down next to you, even though it would sound great. who's in my area that i can get together with, anybody know??

oh, i can't practice 3-5 hours a day either.
[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-11 08:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-11 08:59 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 08:52, spanky wrote:
who's in my area that i can get together with, anybody know??

oh, i can't practice 3-5 hours a day either.
on 2002-09-11 08:59 ]</font>

Well, Frank, where are you? If you feel a need to remain anonymous, write me privately. If you're between Atlanta and Asheville, NC, then we oughta hook up!

Oh, and I don't remember the last time I consistently practiced 3-5 hours a day . . . that was sorta exaggerated to drive a point home. My trumpet teacher at USF (Don Owen) said about many "systems" of playing that sure, damn near anybody would improve if they were practicing 3-5 hours a day. Problem is that most of us just want to put in the minimum amount of work/time for the maximum amount of results.

How much are you demanding from your chops? That's a big factor in determining how much you oughta be willing to invest in them (in terms of time/work).

Take care, and email me privately if you like.

Rich
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich,

gainesville, GA!! not the dreaded fla. this is where i play. sundays, 2 services in the morning and 1 evening. practice for services tuesday nights for 2 hours. we play alot of contemporary music so it's not very formal, gospel - jazz feel to it. i also want to start very soon in a local community band. 1 usually practice about 2 nights/wk, average an hour each.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 11:03, spanky wrote:
gainesville, GA!! . . . . I usually practice about 2 nights/wk, average an hour each.

Frank, please email me privately, or give me a call.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: