• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lynn Nicholson (Maynard Ferguson Lead player)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Lynn Nicholson (Maynard Ferguson Lead player) Reply with quote

I was Lookin' through the Jazz CD section at Borders the other day when I came across a re-release on CD of Ferguson's "Cameleon" Album. I started thinking..."Whatever happened to the Lead Trumpet player Lynn Nicholson. He appeared on TV with maynard in the 70's on a show called the "Mark of Jazz" and blew everyone's socks off. I haven't heard or seen him for many years....is he still alive? what' he up to? Is he still playing trumpet. Thanks___ P.T. (just curious)

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
eoliver
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard (and I could be totally off here) that he was living in Vegas.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleive he is in LA and still plays to some extent but that was truly the highlight of his carreer.i remember when i was young hearing Maynard in St. Louis playing Mcarthur Park and Nicholson walks down from the stage and slurs up to a double B in the apex of that tune and people are going who is this. Maynard was in a music store in Chigago and heard Lynn trying horns and thats how he discovered him
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is is Vegas for sure, and operating a steady-cam or something like that, and only plays for fun. He was at the MF show there about a year ago. Here's a recent photo of him.

http://www.monette.net/newsite/online/summer2001/summer2001_mf.html
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Lynn Nicholson Replies: Reply with quote

Hey All!
Thanks for ALL the Replies!
I thought he might have gone the way of many others like Bill Chase or Bud Brisbois, but I guess he's still alive and "kickin'" or playing occassionally... I wonder if he ever played at any of the Maynard "Re-Union" gigs? Thanks again!

Musically yours,

Paul T.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him several times in L.A. in the late 70s after Maynard (wow!!!), and a close friend of mine who studied with him during that era heard him a few times in Vegas shows about that same time.

Later, according to this same close friend (who's a lawyer in northern California now), Lynn ran into some kind of serious chop crisis. Woke up one morning and couldn't play at all, or something like that.

I'm eager to know the "rest of the story," as they say, since my info is about 20 years out of date and possibly erroneous.
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn was studying with Doc Reinhardt at the same time as I was back in the mid-late 70's. Doc said he was having some chop trouble Doc attributed to his becoming a vegetarian . I didn't and still don't know quite what to make of that.
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally edited.

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it would really surprise me to hear that Lynn burned out his chops. That's because he was so well tuned into the physical advantage that shy of an accident causing facial damage I don't see how he could go wrong. Ditto faddis too.

But you'll still see a lot of good lead players burn out over time. I think it's caused not just by the cumulative stress associated with playing the loud high notes. It's also a result of the player's reaction to the heavy workload. You've probably seen it in yourself after you've been playing a bunch of really heavy engagements.

First comes the tired chops. Then maybe it's a lot of arm pressure causing a sore spot on the lip somewhere. So now you start favoring the spot by moving the mouthpiece a tad. This movement, though minor in terms of positioning, causes a whole realignment of the embouchure putting dependance on a new set of muscles. The newer muscles being less developed accept this stress poorly and respond by swelling and continued unreliable performance.

Worried, you now you make a mouthpiece change to try and help. Briefly it does but this causes yet another shift of muscle and resulting tiring/swelling condition at which point you're so hopelessly lost that only time off and a new start will fix things.

Even phenoms like Nicholson and Faddis might profit from a basic understanding of the physical aspects of what they are doing. Especially in the area of overtraining.

The general condition is that the more you play high and or loud notes the more likely you are to have to deal with conditioning and physical issues associated with extreme stress.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gio trumpeter for the clip. He sounds great. It is amazing how rumors get started. I saw him when he was with Maynard and he was not the lead player - Stan Mark was on lead but he did play some solos. I wonder if the story of Maynard hearing him in a music store is true. The reason I say this is that he was not an unknown quanity before being with Maynard. he had been playing with Chase. Unfortunately, he and Bill Chase did not get along and he left.

Lynn, Maynard and Wayne Bergeron (dbl C in 7th grade) may have been phenoms but I got a chance to talk to Jon Faddis after a master class he gave and he said it did not initially come easy for him. He had a great teacher with a system for building his range. I do suspect that it came a lot easier for him then the rest of us mortals.

Mike
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jon Faddis says it didn't originally come easy for him, I would believe him. Hard work always wins. And you know what, with a lot of work and polishing, you can make it SEEM like it came naturally for you, which Faddis does, even if it didn't.

BTW, the clip of Lynn sounds really good. Some double buzz in there but man, he still definitely has it. I never thought the recordings did him justice, mainly because I'd hear stories from people who saw him live telling me it was some of the most amazing high note playing they'd heard. This clip gives a better illustration of how powerful Lynn was/is. Thanks for sharing that.
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally edited.

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember wearing out the "MacArthur Park" track on the LP in my younger days just to hear Lynn Nicholson's solo "up there". I have heard lots of guys play high, but none with as beautiful a sound up there as Lynn Nicholson.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which LP are you talking about that has Lynn playing on MacArthur Park? He's not on the studio version, nor on Live at Jimmy's.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Lynn "blowing his chops out" but I do know that he is now a Bill Adam student.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
I remember wearing out the "MacArthur Park" track on the LP in my younger days just to hear Lynn Nicholson's solo "up there". I have heard lots of guys play high, but none with as beautiful a sound up there as Lynn Nicholson.

The solo is performed by Maynard. Lynn did perform it live on some occasions.

Cheers,

John
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna see if I can find that Ferguson LP, I swore the liner notes gave Nicholson the credit for the solo... if not, I stand corrected.

I know that it did not sound like Ferguson. I knew his sound intimately and my stereo system with audio research components had great resolving capablities, able to easily reveal the subtle differences in overtone structures of sounds. It sounded like two very different trumpet players were playing on that tune.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the DVD 'At the Top' Lynn does play the solo, very well!
Can't find Live at Jimmy's anywhere, is it out of print?
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally edited.

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
eoliver
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard plays the solo on live at Jimmy's, and Lynn Nicholson wasn't even listed as playing on that recording...Lin Biviano was though, but not as a soloist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: