• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FESTE ROMANE!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

im gonna go nuts. our youth symphony just got its music, and were doing feste romane by resphighi. i just about wet my pants when i flipped through the part! any tips on the high notes, endurance? anything? please help out.
-scott cook
sfenick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I take it you just dicovered why this is considered the most difficult of the pieces in Respighi's Roman trilogy! At any rate, there are some things you can do to make life a little easier. Using a piccolo trumpet (or another higher key trumpet) on some of the high stuff will help with the range/endurance issues. Remember to stay relaxed, and be methodical when working on the part. It is difficult, but playable. I would also listen to several recordings of the piece. I own three recordings of this work, and can tell you that all of them are nice. I particularly like the one with Charles Dutoit conducting the Montreal Symphony. At any rate, just stay relaxed, and have fun with it. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask!
Steve Fenick
bobwhite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with youth orchestra conductors?
Why would they program a bloodbath like "Feste" when "Pines" would be more musically rewarding and not quite as strenuous?

Anyway, sorry to rant. I'd agree that you should listen to several recordings. I like the NY Phil/ Sinopoli recording of this piece a lot.
Also, picc. works well in the second movement (the chorale tune that goes up to a D).

Above all, remember to "play where you are", in other words - do your best, but realize that this piece is incredibly taxing even for professionals. Don't be discouraged if you have to use an assistant, or leave a couple notes out in the noisiest sections.
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
sorry to respond very late, but i was at orchestra camp rehearsing the Resphigi. We played pines last year along with mahlers 5 and an american in paris.
-scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: