• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

being swicth to 3rd from 2nd Trp. what should I do.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bach 1 1/2C Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Bach 1 1/2C Man on 2002-07-29 06:46 ]
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a better section player this year (not saying that you aren't but everyone can get better)!

Learn to listen to the lead players for blending within the section and also style! And also listen to how they are playing and write down what you like about what they are doing and what they are not.

Get a copy of the 2nd and 1st parts and try to learn to play all the parts so that next year you will be able to play whatever part they give you and you can also share your wisdom of being a better section player to the rest of your section next year.

Have fun not being a leader because once you are, you have to worry a lot more about the other people in your section rather than yourself. marching band is a blast when you aren't ripping your chops apart so get ready for playing that lead part EVERYDAY!

Hope this helps even a little bit!

If there is anything that I stated here that someone doesn't agree with or if it is just plain wrong. Let me know (be professional about it), because I want to learn more. Have a great day everyone!
Doublebuzz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude
If you might be section leader I would start working the clarinet player chicks now! They like guys in Power positions like yours! You are going to be 3rd trumpet section leader. That is as good as quarterback in my book!
Doublebuzz
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be section leader just be cool and do you what you gotta do. And try to have people like you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bach 1 1/2C Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Bach 1 1/2C Man on 2002-07-29 06:45 ]
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 09:47 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 07:31, Bach 1 1/2C Man wrote:
Theres nothing wrong with my playing 3rd trumpets just need the help 2 horn carryers down there.But I'm a secound.

I've been trying to put a period in different places to see if there IS any structure in this sentence. "3rd trumpets just need help" might be a sentence, and he might be saying that there are two of them.
Believe it or not, he claims to be an "honors" student. And that this is the just internet so he doesn't care about writing well. I doubt he could express himself clearly under any circumstances. Maybe he has a learning disability. If that is so, he has my admiration for trying, but maybe he could ask someone for some help when posting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could start to express yourself more clearly by writing all your posts in Microsoft Word. Word has a spell and grammer check that would make it much easier for the rest of us to understand you. It would also keep other posters from believing that you are less than the sharpest knife in the drawer. After writing in Word, you can easily use "Copy-Paste" to get your message to the Trumpet Herald site.

The good news is, if you are indeed an honors student, your present use of the English language is certainly not your fault and is proof positive that our current education system is a dismal failure.

Good luck.
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Bach 1 1/2 C,

Please remember that everyone can't play the first part in a trumpet section. However, the whole section is an ensemble within an ensemble. The first part sounds much more musical, when the bottom parts are supporting it they way the composer intended. Your job is to listen to and support the lead part, just as the whole trumpet section is to listen to and support what ever is being done musically by the band. What you need to do is:

1) Learn to play your part without mistakes.

2) Learn to listen to the lead player and match his style, volume, intonation, etc. Try to make HIM sound good. Become a real section player.

3) Watch your conductor, and follow his directions. Learn to make eye contact with him when he looks your way. Don't just watch him out of the corner of your eye. It shows him you are alert, conscientious, and trying. Especially when you're not the one hitting the clams, it causes the conductor to have confidence in YOU. He learns that he can depend on YOU. When he needs someone for another part, he will want someone he can depend on.

4) Continue to practice the materials, which will improve your skills on trumpet.

5) Adopt the mental attitude of a professional about playing third part. If a trumpet player is hired to play a job, he shows up, plays the job, collects his check and goes home. I suppose there are a few trumpet players who are in a league, where they can demand the part they want to play. But most of the ones I have run with just played the part they were assigned as well as they could play it, regardless of whether it was lead or third. If you are asked to fill in with a group that already has an established section, and they need a third player, you don't start the, "But I play better than the guys you have on lead and second" stuff. You just play the part, without thinking any less of yourself, take your check, and go home. And if they ask you to stay for awhile, you do the same thing. You play the part you were hired to play. So start thinking like a professional. Play your part to the best of your ability, and practice to improve. Forget about peer pressure because you're not the one on the other end of the section. And after you've done all these things, let the seating arrangement for next year take care of itself.

Anyway, I've followed this advice a time or two, and it always worked for me.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bach-

The above advice is great-- I'd just like to add that it is always about leadership in addition to playing well. Without leadership, you can play really well and not get the respect you would like to have. Leadership in a trumpet section is about being a role model in terms of attitude, commitment, teamwork, etc. etc...

Ken
The man that has no music in himself,nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, strategems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections are dark as Erebus: let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: