• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FLOYD STANDIFER,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mornings PI news paper has a wonderful article about our NW ICON and my mentor....Floyd Standifer.
For a story sooooooooo well written and illustrated go to:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/artandlife/

and click on the heading story about Floyd Standifer
I met him a few years ago at the Cornish. Roy Cummings, my departed friend....told me many stories about the legendary ICON Floyd. I never had the oportunity to play with Floyd until the passing of Roy at his Roy's memorial at Meany Hall here in Seattle.
After reading this PI article...it is easy to see why our late Roy of the Uof W. found Floyd such a dear friend and colleague.

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-05-28 12:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-05-28 12:07 ]
raptor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that article the other day. Very interesting. I haven't been to the New Orleans cafe but know people that have and they rave about the music that's played there. Floyd is one incredible jazz player for sure. It's kind of sad that it's taken so long for him to get the recognition he deserves from this area. I don't recall ever seeing an article about him before.
It was sad indeed when Roy died. He's taught and mentored a great number of people over the years. He will definitely be missed especially at the UW.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-30 12:06, raptor wrote:
I read that article the other day. Very interesting. I haven't been to the New Orleans cafe but know people that have and they rave about the music that's played there. Floyd is one incredible jazz player for sure. It's kind of sad that it's taken so long for him to get the recognition he deserves from this area. I don't recall ever seeing an article about him before.
It was sad indeed when Roy died. He's taught and mentored a great number of people over the years. He will definitely be missed especially at the UW.

Gads, Bruce!!! YOU MUST BE SOOO YOUNG! Fred is a WORLD-CLASS ICON!!! FOREVER..AND EVER.

He has played in sooo many BIG NAME BANDS in the early days.
GO TO "YAHOO" OR ANY SEARCH ENGINE...."Type in FLOYD STANDIFER and enjoy the ride.
Quincey Jones and many other famous colleagues today knew and played with Floyd and often quote Floyd in many situations but like the article said,
Floyd MADE THE HARD CHOICES...to return to the local scene and put his family, and plant his roots here in the NW. and I thank God for giving us such a great gift of a man.LUCKY FOR US, HUH???
Right on...Bruce! What you said about Roy.

WE MISS OUR ROY CUMMINGS EACH AND EVERY DAY....especially when I hear any Thad Jones number and I will remember and charish that beautiful tribute that both Floyd Standifer and Thomas Marriott performed at Meany Hall at the UofW memorial.

Just kiddin' but do check out the web, as Floyd, like Roy Cummings influnced sooooooooooooooooooo many young lives through their wonderful teaching...but truly bottom line:
WAS THEIR HUMANITY, LOVE, AND LOVE FOR MUSIC...AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...THEIR AMAZING GOD GIVEN MUSICAL TALENT.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Seattle types!
I just moved to Seattle, and met Floyd at Jazz Alley when Ray Brown was in town. What an amazing and genuine individual.

A few weeks later, on a Wednesday at the NO, it was my buddy Milton's 80th b-day. Floyd proceeded to stand on stage and deliver the most touching diatribe about Milton's influence around town and his amazing character.

Just ask Jay Thomas, his biography pays a great debt of gratitude to Floyd, et al. for the guidance Floyd showed him growing up.

Even as a newbie to the Emerald City, I think both of these guys are amazing people, musicians and souls. We'll have to forgive them their sins of the reed-biting kind. he he
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: