• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chase Tribute @NY Brass Conference

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to make it to this year's conference. I was very interested in how the Chase tribute went down. If I recall correctly wasn't Walt Johnson supposed to front the Primal Therepy band, with a few extra noteable players added to it?

I saw a snippet of a comment on TPIN recently that indicated that Rich Szabo fronted the thing and was not on form. This post was flamed, apparently someone had a grudge against Rick.

So who can give me the low down?
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the TPIN thing was a troll! --best ignored!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't so much looking for validation of the TPIN post, but rather to hear from anyone that may have been in attendance. Promised to be a fantastic performance. Was it the Screamfest everyone was hoping for? What charts were played?
Leedplyr

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chase tribute rocked in my opinion. I had the opportunity to talk to Brian Scriver after the gig. I even picked up some Chase CD's and the Primal Therapy CD.
Scriver did a great job leading a multitude of trumpet players, trombonists, the rhythm section, he played lead and did the MC work as well.
The show started with Open Up Wide. Bill Chase did the opening solo over the PA system from his first album. This was a fitting tribute to Bill. When the trumpets on the album came in, so did the trumpets on stage. They were Scriver, Walt Johnson, Winston Byrd, and Mike Smith. Brian told me that Walt played lead on this. Scriver took the lead book for the rest of the show and really nailed the solo in "Listen to Her Sing".

The next tune was Bochawa. Rich Szabo soloed as did Byrd, Eddie Severn, Johnson, a couple of trombone players. The rhythm section deserves a medal for playing as well as they did. Carl Fischer also blew on this tune and was truly incredible.

By the way, this all was accomplished with only one rehearsal!

Listen to Her Sing was up next. Scriver soloed and vocalist Vince...from Toronto was featured.

Next up was an unknown tune that Brian transcribed from a concert tape of Chase. This had a heavy rock feel. Nice bass solo.

Run Back to Mama featured Dennis Noday, Eddie Severn, Mac Gollehon, Rich Szabo. I think Get it On was next and featured virtually everyone on solos. The cascading trumpet licks were quite amazing as there had to be ten trumpeters on the stage at this time.

I was very impressed with the show. It was entertaining from every aspect thanks to the musicianship on the stage and the leadership abilities of Brian. He was bang on with his lead playing and lead the trumpets with a huge sound. His comedy was amusing as well. He was more than generous featuring all the musicians who took part giving them complimentary introductions and a ton of solo space.

Brian has some photos on his website:
www3.sympatico.ca/hedge.hog

All I can say is that I am very happy that I went to this year's NYBC.
C. Revas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: