• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To Hit Or Not to Hit.....

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitalistnihilist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited incoherent post, I should wake up before posting......

[ This Message was edited by: capitalistnihilist on 2002-04-29 08:36 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that we already cleared up this confusion. Some people refer to High C or C3 as tripple C because it is the third one. What I would normally refer to as double C or C4, some people call quadruple C.

I'm happy to hear that things are going so well for you, especially here in Maryland, the Anti-music in school state. There are a couple of schools here that have really tight programs, but for the most part, the schools with the really strong jazz and music programs are all private schools, like Archbishop Curly.

Keep up the good work and don't lose your fire.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
maynardwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is after the fact, but I figure more info never hurt.

I don't get a chance to play much in a jazz band, but in the main one I do (a friend's dad's band), everybody is just sort of expected to be able to play it, and if they can't, swap the note with the second part. By swap, I mean give the second your note down an octave and play his. That seems to work every time one of us can't hit something, which doesn't happen too often.

Basically, when I'm playing lead at a gig, if I feel like I'm gonna hit it, then I go for it. Otherwise, don't. Play down in the chord, or try a glissando up to it or something. Just don't play it if you don't think you're going to hit it.

Oh, yeah...

...Always think of it as being lower then it is, so you don't overshoot. I kept complaining about having to play lead in a version of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, because the lead and second parts were so similiar the lead was supposed to be played an octave up, and I was so nervous about playing the last note I ended up overshooting it by another octave. I nearly ruptered a blood vessel... D*** fermatas.

Sorry about the long post, but... Oh well. Congrats on your improv solo as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: