• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best horn design for dark tone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that Arturo interview was incredible. It should be somewhere on TH as a permanent sticky or something everyone can repeatedly access.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
DAVIDTHEWRITER wrote:
... I want dark so badly...

I'm more of a bargain / high value shopper.

Assuming you already have a trumpet, a Curry TF mouthpiece (or similar) is definitely the cheapest way to take a big step in that direction.

Well formed advice. And after watching a video about just selecting mouthpiece for flugelhorns, it occurs to me that I appreciate the cornet instruments for their penchant to shape the sound with a sensitivity to particular mouthpieces. And with Curry brand mouthpiece (or similar) to audition, I'm better staying in my cornet and trumpet spaces. I've read that Jupiter makes beautiful sounding cornets that are high value.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best horn for a dark tone is the Austin Custom Brass Coppernicus by Adams. I have one for sale in the marketplace (shameless plug). Make me an offer I can't refuse.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by DAVIDTHEWRITER on Wed May 08, 2024 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a mouthpiece change first (sacrilegious, I know) but it will likely solve your issue for cheaper. If u live in any remotely close proximity to a store with Warburton equipment GO AND TRY SOME. I was digging around with big pieces chasing that “dark tone” but I tried a case of Warburton tops and backbores, eventually settling on a very good piece, that many may consider to be a small bright piece. A great mouthpiece is neither dark nor bright; a good piece lets you decide your tonal color on demand. Hope this was insightful, and happy hunting!!!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you might gather from other comments on here, the primary thing that determines the sound coming out of a trumpet (or cornet or flugel - or any brass) is the player that is playing it.

You can shade your sound a bit with different mouthpieces, a different instrument, etc. But, these are shadings.

Discussion of finish is almost completely irrelevant.

However, if you want a fairly different or better sound coming out of your brass instrument, the thing that needs to change is the person playing the brass instrument and their sound concept. Everything else is mostly window dressing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Crazy Finn"]As you might gather from other comments on here, the primary thing that determines the sound coming out of a trumpet (or cornet or flugel - or any brass) is the player that is playing it.

You can shade your sound a bit with different mouthpieces, a different instrument, etc. But, these are shadings.

However, if you want a fairly different or better sound coming out of your brass instrument, the thing that needs to change is the person playing the brass instrument and their sound concept. Everything else is mostly window dressing.[/quote]

Yet there are reams of marketing literature, and masses of online discussions, over shades of timbre differences buttressed by the following instrument skin attributes:

Lacquered
Naked Brass
Rose Bell
Gold Finish
Silver Finish

So it raises a question in my mind. How do so many myths or hopes arise if the fact is instrument skin is only window dressing?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVIDTHEWRITER wrote:
How do so many myths or hopes arise if the fact is instrument skin is only window dressing?

It's all relative. It depends on how you want to look at it. Crazy Finn is right that a player's sound is the player's sound. But there is an equally significant argument that equipment can make a big difference in how easy it is for the player to achieve that sound. When you get down to details, there are many changes in technology that have increased or lessened the significance of factors such as finish (old lacquer was significant, new epoxy not so much), or alloy (temper can offset the density), and so on.

It's not myth, but it's not 100% controlling either. Equipment characteristics can be selected to aid a given player considerably, but equipment will never transform a player into something that player is not.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
It's not myth, but it's not 100% controlling either. Equipment characteristics can be selected to aid a given player considerably, but equipment will never transform a player into something that player is not.

Indeed. The skill level of the player plays a part in this as well. A top level professional may be better able of bending sound/timbre to their will, where an amateur may run into the limits of the equipment used (and thus get a larger effect when they change equipment).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DAVIDTHEWRITER"]
Crazy Finn wrote:
As you might gather from other comments on here, the primary thing that determines the sound coming out of a trumpet (or cornet or flugel - or any brass) is the player that is playing it.

However, if you want a fairly different or better sound coming out of your brass instrument, the thing that needs to change is the person playing the brass instrument and their sound concept. Everything else is mostly window dressing.[/quote]

Yet there are reams of marketing literature, and masses of online discussions, over shades of timbre differences buttressed by the following instrument skin attributes:

Lacquered
Naked Brass
Rose Bell
Gold Finish
Silver Finish

So it raises a question in my mind. How do so many myths or hopes arise if the fact is instrument skin is only window dressing?

Well, if you made and sold instruments, which strategy do you think would sell more instruments, saying "all of these different finishes make a meaningful difference to making you sound the way you want without you having to do extra work" or "the cosmetics of the instrument mostly don't matter. The instrument you already have will probably do 99% of any other instrument you could buy"?
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Well, if you made and sold instruments, which strategy do you think would sell more instruments, saying "all of these different finishes make a meaningful difference to making you sound the way you want without you having to do extra work" or "the cosmetics of the instrument mostly don't matter. The instrument you already have will probably do 99% of any other instrument you could buy"?

Since I am a consumer and not a maker, I can only speak to my disappointment that the much promoted and propagated effects of the skin, obviously stated as provocative and factual by the manufacturers, is probably literally baloney for all but the most accomplished musicians seeking the last half percentage of control that only they could experience.

For all but the most elite and accomplished players, the cosmetics of the instrument don't matter.

Unless one is in the top tier of mechanical instrument mastery, the skin, and all claims by makers and all the years of Forum discussions there about, were mostly just lies or delusions.

That music instruments descriptions, like every other aspect of consumables market copy, are mostly exaggerations, punts, or only true for the professional ranks.

That many of our posters have been kidding themselves and the rest of us.

Golly, what would happen if we gave the Shepherds Crook a scientific examination.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVIDTHEWRITER wrote:
Steve A wrote:

Since I am a consumer and not a maker, I can only speak to my disappointment that the much promoted and propagated effects of the skin, obviously stated as provocative and factual by the manufacturers, is probably literally baloney for all but the most accomplished musicians seeking the last half percentage of control that only they could experience.

For all but the most elite and accomplished players, the cosmetics of the instrument don't matter.

Unless one is in the top tier of mechanical instrument mastery, the skin, and all claims by makers and all the years of Forum discussions there about, were mostly just lies or delusions.

That music instruments descriptions, like every other aspect of consumables market copy, are mostly exaggerations, punts, or only true for the professional ranks.

That many of our posters have been kidding themselves and the rest of us.

Golly, what would happen if we gave the Shepherds Crook a scientific examination.

Those of us who have played on hundreds/thousands of horns, spanning several centuries of crafting and manufacturing, are well aware that you are simply wrong. The vast array of fabrication, materials, and form options explored over hundreds of years yields differences in performance that are both observable and scientifically quantifiable using a myriad of tools ranging from contact mics, to spectral analysis, to high speed timers, to mic grids for projection comparisons.

Selecting the right tool for the job makes any player better not because it changes their playing, but because it makes it easier for them to play as they wish.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is getting one's playing and horn to the point where the skin alone makes the last fractional difference. That's top performance. Otherwise the mouthpiece selection is available to almost everyone as an adjustment towards their goal. The truth so often lies in the middle. And working towards top performance, that cannot be substituted.
beredis

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pursuit of excellence in music is a holistic process. It involves not only the technical mastery of the instrument but also the development of one’s unique sound and expression. As you rightly pointed out, the “skin” or the personal touch of the musician, is what ultimately defines the final quality of performance. Tips for using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro effectively. This individuality, combined with the right equipment, propels musicians towards their goals.

Last edited by beredis on Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelhorn

DB
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Didgeridoo.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
Flugelhorn

Sure gets you Dark.

If the challenge is to move as much of the sound shaping to the horn, time for the Cornet to make a stylist resurrection?

From dark to brassy with flip of the mouthpieces. It's the chameleon of brass.

Loosely speaking.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thane Performance with large 72 red brass bell.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to listen to that Arturo demonstration again with better speakers. Though he was playing with different approaches on different styles of music, I’m pretty sure to some extent he still sounded like Arturo on all of them.

When I listen to players on YouTube demonstrating a horn, they all tend to sound quite different on the same model, because mostly, they just can’t get away from sounding like themselves.

If you listen to recordings to try to decide on equipment, what you can find is what a particular horn is capable of sounding like, not what you will necessarily sound like.

Link
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
I need to listen to that Arturo demonstration again with better speakers. Though he was playing with different approaches on different styles of music, I’m pretty sure to some extent he still sounded like Arturo on all of them.

When I listen to players on YouTube demonstrating a horn, they all tend to sound quite different on the same model, because mostly, they just can’t get away from sounding like themselves.

If you listen to recordings to try to decide on equipment, what you can find is what a particular horn is capable of sounding like, not what you will necessarily sound like.

Link

Just as the thread was entering its silly, sarcastic phase, another insightful post.

Another twist, if one is listening through computer speakers or tiny desktop monitors, some of the coloring might be lost or distorted.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: