• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter 520 Cornets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent, hands-on experience with these cornets? I know that Jupiter's build quality has improved substantially over the last few years -- I've owned an 846RL flugelhorn for over a year and have been VERY impressed. I remember seeing a current production student trumpet a few months back and I was favorably impressed with that, as well. One of the local dealers that sells a lot of student horns told me that Jupiter is trying to take on Yamaha head-to-head in student horns -- and has the product to pull that off. Anyone here that can compare the Jupiter 520ML to the Yamaha 2330 for me?

The Jupiter 520M can be had for $359 (lacquer) and $429 (silver) -- if its comparable to the 2330, it's a heck of a deal!

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
"He heals the brokenhearted, and bandages their wounds" -- Psalm 147:3
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own the Jupiter 846RL flugelhorn and it was surprisingly good. I haven't played one of the cornets yet, but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has.

-Atom
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Resurrected old thread on Jupiter 520 M vs Yamaha 2300 corne Reply with quote

Resurrected this old thread on the 520 M cornet vs Yamaha 2330 cornets. I own both the Jupiter 520 M and Yamaha 2300 cornet. The build quality of both cornets are amazing. Since I didn't pay much for either cornet , there are some issues with lacquer on each cornet. The Jupiter cornet has some blemishes, red rot and scratches. The Yamaha cornet was used in schools, so it was used and abused. Due to the condition of the Yamaha, decided to make it a raw brass cornet
Of the two cornets, I prefer the Jupiter over the Yamaha. The sound, tone , articulation, seems better to my ears than the Yamaha. The Jupiter 9e mouthpiece that came with the cornet is a perfect match.
Getzen 4B short shank mouthpiece
Jupiter 9e (5 C) short shank mouthpiece
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrected old thread on Jupiter 520 M vs Yamaha 2300 c Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Resurrected this old thread on the 520 M cornet vs Yamaha 2330 cornets. I own both the Jupiter 520 M and Yamaha 2300 cornet. The build quality of both cornets are amazing. Since I didn't pay much for either cornet , there are some issues with lacquer on each cornet. The Jupiter cornet has some blemishes, red rot and scratches. The Yamaha cornet was used in schools, so it was used and abused. Due to the condition of the Yamaha, decided to make it a raw brass cornet
Of the two cornets, I prefer the Jupiter over the Yamaha. The sound, tone , articulation, seems better to my ears than the Yamaha. The Jupiter 9e mouthpiece that came with the cornet is a perfect match.

I'm reading in more places Jupiter Student brass > Yamaha Student brass
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Jupiter 520 M cornet Reply with quote

It happens.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your comparison of the Jupiter cornet to your King cornet?
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Comparsion of two cornets Reply with quote

Good question.
Anyway to answer your question I prefer the Jupiter 520 M Shepherds crook cornet. It sounds better to my ear, more mellow, bending notes, articulation, softer sound. This cornet fits the sound I envision. The mouthpieces work well on it. This model was my favorite of previously own cornets.
Only issues I have is that it needs a thicker valve oil and I don't like the 3rd slide adjustable finger ring. That will be changed next week.
The King 603 cornet sounds like a trumpet and is to loud for me. It is a versatile and could be used in the place of a trumpet. For a student American wrap cornet it is an excellent choice. Do like it is not mouthpiece sensitive.
Trying very hard to focus on playing and not buying anymore musicial instruments.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparsion of two cornets Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

I prefer the Jupiter 520 M Shepherds crook cornet. It sounds better to my ear, more mellow, bending notes, articulation, softer sound. This cornet fits the sound I envision. The mouthpieces work well on it. This model was my favorite of previously own cornets.
Only issues I have is that it needs a thicker valve oil and I don't like the 3rd slide adjustable finger ring. That will be changed next week.
The King 603 cornet sounds like a trumpet and is to loud for me. It is a versatile and could be used in the place of a trumpet. For a student American wrap cornet it is an excellent choice.

I'm contemplating a newer model TBD Jupiter cornet as my step up from 1st-one KING Cleveland 602 1965 cornet. I bought a half dozen vintage cornets to learn the hardware fundamentals. I tried to buy smartly and they all work now. My second placer was a CONN DIRECTOR 15A, also 1965. I've ended up with many mouthpieces. I go between BACH 5B and 7C. My next purchase I'd like move in ready instead of immediate hot bathing and drowning in Yamaha medium synthetic. I'm over cheap vintage.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Same path Reply with quote

Duplicate.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Same path Reply with quote

Sounds like we are on the same path and didn't want to spend much money for musicial instruments. I too am over used student instruments.
Recently I spent more money getting slides unstuck at a local repair shop, then what that trumpet was worth.
After having a 3rd slide fixed ring installed on the Jupiter cornet, will be ending any other alternations. I am trying to limit myself to one or two cornets. Ideally my next purchase will be a professional cornet.
Keep us informed about your next purchase and how you like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: