• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advantages/disadvantages of using the finger ring?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Advantages/disadvantages of using the finger ring? Reply with quote

As I'm building my trumpet playing skills back up, I've noticed that some players use the finger ring/loop while others don't. I do. When I've asked about it, I've been told that not using it allows more flexibility in the fingers on the valve buttons, but when I tried doing that, it feels awkward. I'm sure to some degree it's a matter of what I'm used to, but as I've seen professional players both use it and not, it got me wondering.

So..., is there an advantage or disadvantage to using/not using the finger ring/loop? Or does it come down to personal preference?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At risk of answering on all of your threads. I have used the finger in the hook for all of my years.

If you're most comfortable with it in the hook, try this: put your pinky somewhere comfortable on top of it (not the tippy top) and apply a slight downward force on the pinky while using the valves. This will give you the feeling of stability that you get when using the hook (as that is what you are doing when your finger is in the hook, downward force).

The only issue you put yourself at risk for when your finger is in the hook, is increased tension in the hand as a lateral(?) force (i.e., bringing your thumb and pinky together). Flexing those muscles can lend itself to keeping isometric tension in the rest of the arm and hinder production in general. But, if you don't succumb to it, nothing wrong there.

People will mention "pressure," but I can generate a massive amount of force towards the mouthpiece with my left hand alone, so I do not think it is a valid concern.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

If you're most comfortable with it in the hook, try this: put your pinky somewhere comfortable on top of it (not the tippy top) and apply a slight downward force on the pinky while using the valves. This will give you the feeling of stability that you get when using the hook (as that is what you are doing when your finger is in the hook, downward force).

I haven't tried that, so will try and see how it feels. But going back to my original question, is there really an advantage to not using the ring or is it just personal preference?

1958 Conn Director 14A
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had teachers tell me just to use the "pinky hook" to pick up the horn or when using a mute with the left hand. I find the hook provides a stable position to insure my fingers are in the right place, especially seeing that I have a large collection of horns of different geometries and my playing is more or less divided between Bb trumpet and Eb soprano trumpet and rarely flugelhorns.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the majority of my life with my last finger firmly planted in the ring seemed very natural and caused no problems that I was aware of.

Walking away from playing altogether in 2000, I came back again in 2014 after retiring from my day gig to become a full-time caregiver for my terminally ill wife. I found that playing again gave me some "escape" time in that trumpet required much focus in order to make it work again.

Early in my comeback, several important suggestions that assisted my comeback to move along faster and smoothly were made from several of my new colleagues. Among the best and easiest to adopt pointers were posited to unleash my right hand fingering speed and accuracy by not using the pinky ring for horn support and to be more aggressive in pressing my valves. Almost 10 years later, a free right hand approach has become second nature and really works well. I tend to play lighter and have gained more control over my left hand grip in the process.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Almost 10 years later, a free right hand approach has become second nature and really works well. I tend to play lighter and have gained more control over my left hand grip in the process.

By "more control over my left hand grip" do you mean a more stable platform based on your left hand vs. helping support the horn by using the little finger of the right hand along with the left hand?

1958 Conn Director 14A
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely in the "free the pinky" camp, only using the ring when the left hand is busy with mutes or when flipping off the conductor.

... and IMO, anyone who argues that you need the pinky in the ring to apply mouthpiece-to-face pressure is using too much of that pressure.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
But going back to my original question, is there really an advantage to not using the ring or is it just personal preference?

Apologies. My personal opinion is that there is no advantage either way except with pinky out, you avoid the risk I mentioned. I did a quick search on youtube and found --

Pinky IN hook: Esteban Battalan, David Bilger, Chris Martin, Tom Hooten, Wayne Bergeron, Eric Miyashiro, Wynton Marsalis, Hakan Hardenberger, Chris Coletti, Malcolm McNabb, Jens Lindemann, Phil Smith (v1), David Krauss, Bud Herseth.

Pinky OUT of the hook: Allen Vizzutti, Ole Edvard Antonsen, Brandon Ridenour, Sean Jones, also Bud Herseth

Also, it should be noted that with Rotary Trumpet you don't have a pinky ring, but IMO the ergonomics of rotary make more sense than piston (to me).
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been posts on TH indicating that Charlie Geyer teaches his students to place the pinky in the hook to facilitate moving the first and third valve slides with little effort to ensure that the player can easily adjust intonation.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fingers move faster when I do not have the pinky in the ring or hook shape on some trumpets. The tendons in the hand and the way the fingerd function is a factor. Move your three valve fingers as you would on the trumpet but in the air. (Fake fingering or air playing some patterns or just randomly) my pinky moves sympathetically when I do this. If that movement is inside of the ring or hook then it will move the trumpet on my face also.

My preference is to keep the pinky above or outside and not be confined.
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advantages to having your RH pinky in the ring: to keep your left hand free to move the 1st and 3rd slides (including playing a low F), turning the pages of your music without having to stop, putting in a mute, operating a wah-wah/harmon or plunger mute, helping out colleagues who drop things or turning their pages if they can't do it themselves (trombone players!!), flicking bugs off of your forehead, etc.

advantages to having your RH pinky OUT of the ring: you might be able to move your fingers a little more efficiently.

To each his own. I definitely use the pinky ring unless I'm playing something super duper technical fingerwise.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct term is "octave key".

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play tricky passages faster with my pinky out of the hook, so if I need speed, I’ll leave it out. If I don’t need speed, it’s usually in the hook.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Out", or more exactly, "atop of" pinky hook.

For plunger and heavy mutes (copper Jo-Ral), "in" can be used.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussions and inputs, thank you.

And no, I don't use it to help apply more pressure to my embouchure, it's just how I've always held the horn.

Last night at rehearsal I tried holding my horn both ways. I'll admit, not having my little finger in the ring feels really foreign to me, but I'm sure that's just because I've never done it regularly like that.

I did try taking the little finger out during a few more complicated runs and I can see that there is a bit more flexibility possible, as well as a slight increase in speed. But truthfully, when I tried it last night all it did was feel strange, so I'll have to practice that a bit and then see how things progress from there.

1958 Conn Director 14A
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
"Out", or more exactly, "atop of" pinky hook.

For plunger and heavy mutes (copper Jo-Ral), "in" can be used.

I'm in this camp too.. better agility, especially with the 3rd finger, additionally, "in" promotes more tension-right hand grabbing/clenching..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
There have been posts on TH indicating that Charlie Geyer teaches his students to place the pinky in the hook to facilitate moving the first and third valve slides with little effort to ensure that the player can easily adjust intonation.

I'm the one that usually links to it:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106467
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
But going back to my original question, is there really an advantage to not using the ring or is it just personal preference?

Go to about 48 secs in and beyond - on the closeup shots you'll see Doc at various points with his pinky on the leadpipe behind the hook, inside the hook, on top of the hook, waving around in the air. You'll see the same thing on any of his videos.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
rhatheway wrote:

Go to about 48 secs in and beyond - on the closeup shots you'll see Doc at various points with his pinky on the leadpipe behind the hook, inside the hook, on top of the hook, waving around in the air. You'll see the same thing on any of his videos.

Link

Well, if Doc does it like that, then I guess it means that just about anything goes!

1958 Conn Director 14A
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I can play tricky passages faster with my pinky out of the hook, so if I need speed, I’ll leave it out. If I don’t need speed, it’s usually in the hook.

+1

My theory is that I'm going to use the amount of pressure I'm going to use, and having a little bit come from each hand seems better than having it all come from the left arm. 95%+ of what we play is not fast, so it doesn't make sense to me to base what I'm doing on getting a small (but sometimes necessary!) advantage on the odd tricky bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: