• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strange wrap on “The Olds” Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate.ready

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Strange wrap on “The Olds” Cornet Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I bought what appeared to be a 6xxx 1939/40 The Olds on eBay this morning. Upon a more careful look the wrap of the horn doesn’t look correct. It’s stamped “the olds” on the bell but the wrap looks like a special. Any idea what’s going on here? Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404951091316?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CIj4bsJvT4W&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=9PTSVvK0S52&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted by that one, and noticed the special-style wrap. I have a slightly older (sn 7357) Special cornet which is wrapped the same, but engraved "Special".
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange wrap on “The Olds” Cornet Reply with quote

nate.ready wrote:
Any idea what’s going on here?

Evil. EEE-VILLL!!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
nate.ready

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! That's what I was afraid of. Something sinister. Bell swaps, frankenhorns and the like...
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the 1941 catalog - the wrap looks the same to me.

https://olds-central.com/1941-catalog/
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not panic just yet. Wait until you receive it. While it appears to be a Special with a "The Olds" bell, at that time Olds sometimes produced horns that were not exactly what was shown in the catalogs. The lacquer wear appears to be the same on the entire horn, so inspect where the bell is attached and the braces to the bell when you receive it to see if you detect any solder work. I have an Olds Symphony trumpet with a very low serial number 13xx but it has a Fullerton bell on it. My best guess is that the bell was replaced by Olds in the 1950's or early 60's (when they did those kind of things) and custom engraved as a Symphony even though they had not made that model for at least 20 years.

Please let us know once you have the horn.
also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
nate.ready

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clay and Everyone, Thanks for your thoughts. I’ll let you know what I discover when the horn shows up. I had a chance to play a pre-war special last weekend. The sound was lovely. Very sweet and gentle, totally different from a super cornet… which I also love for different reasons. If it plays anything like that I’ll be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: