• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Six Notes Articulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisroyal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
The way the exercise is articulated in Musical Calisthenics For Brass is,
BTT.

My advice for anyone who hasn't been directly instructed by Carmine, himself, to do it otherwise, is to do it BTT. And with only one repeat, as given in MCFB. There's really nothing to over think. You don't have to understand it, you don't have to agree with it, just do it.

But wasn't Musical Calisthenics For Brass complied from different students notes, like from Herb Alpert, and not really what Carmine would have written for everyone to do? The book is a very general version and not gospel in terms of how to play the exercises. It's just a book of notes without a teacher to tell a student how to practice them. Like an aspirin without dosage instructions for the individual.
Schagerl Bb, C and Picc rotors
Yamaha and Schilke Flugels
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisroyal wrote:
TrpPro wrote:
The way the exercise is articulated in Musical Calisthenics For Brass is,
BTT.

My advice for anyone who hasn't been directly instructed by Carmine, himself, to do it otherwise, is to do it BTT. And with only one repeat, as given in MCFB. There's really nothing to over think. You don't have to understand it, you don't have to agree with it, just do it.

But wasn't Musical Calisthenics For Brass complied from different students notes, like from Herb Alpert, and not really what Carmine would have written for everyone to do? The book is a very general version and not gospel in terms of how to play the exercises. It's just a book of notes without a teacher to tell a student how to practice them. Like an aspirin without dosage instructions for the individual.

No, Carmine was intimately involved in the writing of this book. Alpert was more of an encourager, editor, and publisher. The material in the book is virtually identical to how Carmine was presenting the material to most students at the time of its writing. He also gave us other stuff beyond that, most of which is present in a slightly altered form in Frink & McNeil's "Flexus." Some of the stuff in MCFB vol.2 by Derasse was also assigned to me, but most of the material in vol. 2 is unfamiliar to me from my years studying with Carmine.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: