• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Davis sharply criticized Freddie Hubbard in the 1970s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassPapa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, Miles was very supportive of Freddie early in his career. He said great things about him early on in interviews and according to Freddie himself, Miles helped him get signed to Blue Note.

However, from the late 1960’s and onward, Miles became increasingly critical towards Freddie. In a blindfold test Miles criticized the band Freddie had on his cut “On The Que Tee”. Stating that Freddie needs the right band to push him to play his best. In several interviews during the 70’s and 80’s Miles openly bashed Freddie for playing too many notes in his solos and being too flashy. On the Japanese liner notes to his own 1975 album Agharta, Miles took some time to remark how Freddie sounds like he practices too much and even compares his playing to a woman who bares everything at once and doesn’t know the art of seduction! 😮
1970 Olds Recording trumpet
1973 Olds Ambassador trumpet (customized)
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
Well, I haven't heard about that. Although I do know that Miles was
very critical of Chet Baker. I read both of their biographies and they
both alluded to it.
I'd be interested in the Freddie comments though. Always fun to hear
rivalries in competition.
Peace,
-Dennis

Curious what Miles criticism was of Chet Baker.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Yamahaguy wrote:
Well, I haven't heard about that. Although I do know that Miles was
very critical of Chet Baker. I read both of their biographies and they
both alluded to it.
I'd be interested in the Freddie comments though. Always fun to hear
rivalries in competition.
Peace,
-Dennis

Curious what Miles criticism was of Chet Baker.

Talking to Les Tomkins in 1969:
I liked Chet. But white guys play a certain way, man. They lean on notes, you know, when they set a rhythm. I used to enjoy all the white bands when I was a kid listening to the radio
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassPapa wrote:
..... Miles took some time to remark how Freddie sounds like he practices too much and even compares his playing to a woman who bares everything at once and doesn’t know the art of seduction! 😮

Funny. Just like Miles' sound is instantly recognizable, it is easy to recognize an insult as coming from Miles.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what wrote:
BrassPapa wrote:
..... Miles took some time to remark how Freddie sounds like he practices too much and even compares his playing to a woman who bares everything at once and doesn’t know the art of seduction! 😮

Funny. Just like Miles' sound is instantly recognizable, it is easy to recognize an insult as coming from Miles.

Miles did know a lot about women. Maybe he told his professional ladies not be like Freddie.
BrassPapa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
so what wrote:
BrassPapa wrote:

Miles did know a lot about women. Maybe he told his professional ladies not be like Freddie.

*spits out drink*
😮🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
1970 Olds Recording trumpet
1973 Olds Ambassador trumpet (customized)
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve done a decent amount of research on this very topic.

The first thing is their relationship was very complicated. They seemed to be friends, but there was criticism (mostly from Miles).

As BrassPapa pointed out, Miles bashed Freddie’s recording of “On the Que Tee” from his 1968 album Backlash. You have to remember that in 1968, Miles was in a very different place musically than Freddie was. Miles was experimenting with electric instruments and funk, while “On the Que Tee” is a very straight ahead, hard boppish tune; almost the opposite of what Miles was into at that time. Miles says, as he did more than once, that Freddie was a great trumpet player, but Miles felt the straight ahead 32 bar form had been done to death, and felt Freddie needed to do something more musically current. I understand that from Miles’s perspective, that makes perfect sense. FWIW from me, I love “On the Que Tee” and that whole album, but that is my opinion. It IS possible that if Leonard had played Backlash’s title track or “The Return of the Prodigal Son” that Miles MAY have liked it more, as those tracks had a more rockish feel and were more his cup of tea at that time (maybe), but that’s just speculation.

In Miles’s autobiography, he only mentions Freddie one time, where he is listing up and coming trumpet players in the 1980s. He says he thought Freddie Hubbard was “going to be a great trumpet player,” high praise, but, not stating that he already WAS a great trumpet player, so kind of a backhanded compliment I guess, although he had already said Freddie was a great trumpet player in the blindfold test. Hugh Masekala, Jon Faddis and Olu Dara also get mentioned if I remember correctly, along with the sadness that Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw and Booker Little were no longer around.

The version of the story at Birdland in the late 50s that I heard was that Freddie was actually playing a Miles solo note for note, and then Miles walked in! I heard Miles then said, “Hey man, why don’t you play your own sh*t?” Freddie, a bit embarrassed, then did, and Miles told Alfred Lion, the co-founder of Blue Note Records, who was also in the audience, to sign Freddie, which he did. Here’s an interview where Freddie discusses this incident:
https://www.npr.org/2001/08/11/1127264/freddie-hubbard-a-jazz-icon-remembered

One other article, where Miles gives his most scathing critique of Freddie (that I’ve seen), can be read here:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-he-loved-him-madly-an-appreciation.188238/page-3

Miles says he likes Thad Jones but says of Freddie, “I don’t go to hear Freddie because I don’t like him. I’d rather hear Thad miss a note than Freddie make twelve.” Ouch. This comment actually made me listen to Thad again. I can see why Thad was more Miles’s style, but this is a matter of personal preference.

What did Freddie say critically about Miles? Almost nothing that I’ve found. The closest was when he said, “Then I heard Miles, and I thought, well, I wanted to play with more fire than that.”
http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/Freddie%20Hubbard_1.htm

You also have to remember that Miles was an elder to Freddie; almost twelve years older, and also clearly an influence, given that Freddie used to play his solos note for note. I think they had a genuine musical disagreement; Miles was big on music of the senses. He listened to people like Rachmaninoff, Ravel, and Michelangeli. Even Stockhausen at one point. He also listened to Ahmad Jamal. Even later when he was listening more to pop music, he was looking for certain textures. That wasn’t really what Freddie was about. Freddie was more in the tradition of guys like Fats and Clifford. He had a hard bop sound in a lot of the stuff he did. He also was more technical, and less subtle. They had kind of a stylistic meeting in the 1970s, but even there they did things very differently.

Miles was of course very outspoken. I think his musical criticisms were in the interest of the music and not ego because he criticized people who played different instruments too, like Eric Dolphy and Cecil Taylor. He even criticized Coltrane, saying he didn’t like the stuff he did later on. Miles had extraordinarily strong opinions and wasn’t afraid to share them. He criticized Monk’s comping, asking him to lay out behind his solos. He even criticized Pops and Dizzy for clowning around too much onstage. You might not agree with everything Miles said, but he always had a clear reason for his beliefs. He wasn’t criticizing just to be mean, and it was a different time. Back in those days, musicians in general were more outspoken. Dr. Barry Harris, who was one of the last surviving musicians of that generation, also openly voiced his distaste for many of the musicians we love and admire. It’s how things were in those days, and for better or worse, it was what it was. Now, it’s not really cool to talk like that anymore, but we can still look at what these masters said, learn from it, and respect their uncompromising musical principles and honesty, which led to some of the greatest music ever made.

Josh
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In early 82 while I was at Berklee, Freddie was playing a couple of nights at a club. I went with a drummer friend. When I got there, almost every trumpeter I knew from Berklee was there.
After the first set, Freddie sat at the bar to talk story with everyone. This was shortly after Miles had released his first recording in 5-6 years.
After a while,Freddie excused himself to go in back and relax before the 2nd set. As he was walking away my drummer friend asked Freddie what he thought of Miles new recording. Freddie said, sounds like Herb Alpert!!!!! Cracked everyone up.

Last edited by peanuts56 on Sun May 05, 2024 3:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
. . . my drummer friend asked Freddie what he thought of Miles new recording. Freddie said, sounds like Herb Alpert!!!!! Cracked everyone up.

Now THAT is a bon mot!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh - thank you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Josh - thank you.

My pleasure! Happy to dive into this topic and organize my thoughts.

A couple small corrections to errors I made above about Backlash; it actually came out in 1967 and was recorded in ‘66, not 1968 like I said above. Also, I was going over “On the Que Tee” in my head and I think it would be closer to 50 bars than 32. It also changes from 3/4 to 4/4 as part of the form, which is a cool effect. It’s actually not a straight 32 bars, although the band makes it sound easy enough that it might seem like it is.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Halflip"]
peanuts56 wrote:
. . . my drummer friend asked Freddie what he thought of Miles new recording. Freddie said, sounds like Herb Alpert!!!!! Cracked everyone up.

Now THAT is a bon mot![/quote

I will add that Freddie was totally cool and friendly to all of us crowded around him.
That was the first time I had heard him live. I got to hear him once more in a big theater In Stamford, Ct. I remember it was the night before the Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl. His playing was extraordinary both nights.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Miles Reply with quote

There was a 2022 documentary called 'Round Miles. It features a round table discussion with a number of musicians, including Freddie Hubbard. They don't 'sugar coat' Miles. Mr. Ron Carter at about 45:30 into this.

I could listen to those legends talk all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJk48-8rSh8&ab_channel=RoundMiles-2022Documentary
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Brent. I had heard that before in the past but heard so much more this time.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Miles Davis sharply criticized Freddie Hubbard in the 19 Reply with quote

dualcitizen wrote:

Does anyone know what specific magazine interviews are being referenced? I'm curious to learn more about the relationship between these two greats and would like to track down some more informations.

Thanks

It is DOWNBEAT magazine.

Specifically the BLINDFOLD TEST conducted by Leonard Feather.

Feather would deliberately and routinely tease controversial comments out of Miles during the BLINDFOLD TEST sessions.

The most famous of these was about Eric Dolphy. Upon hearing the tune, Miles remarked, n
"Now that is some sad shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Dolphy was already controversial and this article is thought to have really stiffled his career.

I was a huge Miles Davis fan in my youth and had every interview memorized.

Blunting down other artists became all too common with Davis and a terrible side.

As learned later, it was often personal or business vendetta and not about art.

Miles later softened his disdain for the avant garde by giving Ornette Coleman some props, but well after he had poured the acid.

Miles Davis was a musical concept genius but there were many chips on his shoulders.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

Reasonable speculation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: